Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Mr. RPG
macrumors 6502a

Can you guys stop saying "oh my iPhone is faster/snappier and has a better battery"

with each new iOS update.

If you knew anything about programming and developing you would know that isn't realistic.

Your iPhone isn't getting any faster with each update.

You can't just "optimize" code after every update.. What are they doing, intentionally limiting you to what your iPhone can do and then raise the bar after every single, insignificant update? I swear, I see people saying "my iPhone is so much faster, thanks apple!". What the ***?

I swear, this reminds me of the "download more RAM" epidemic.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Raggsokk
macrumors member

Cool story, bro.
Raggsokk is offline   5
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Renzatic
In Time-Out

What are you talking about? I downloaded 3 megagigas of ram for my iPhone just the other day. It's so much faster now!
Renzatic is offline   2
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:41 PM   #4
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
What are you talking about? I downloaded 3 megagigas of ram for my iPhone just the other day. It's so much faster now!
I think the term you are looking for is "GeeBees"
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:43 PM   #5
dukebound85
macrumors P6

thanks for this thread op. it will surely solve the issue
dukebound85 is offline   1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:58 PM   #6
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

As someone who has written programs (not going to call myself a developer) you can get your code/OS to run faster on the same hardware with an OS/software update. Look what Google did with 4.1. So its entirely possible. Not saying it happens with every OS/software update and I think these perceived performance improvements are mostly physiological but it can be done.

Last edited by TacticalDesire; Jan 28, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
TacticalDesire is offline   2
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RPG View Post

If you knew anything about programming and developing you would know that isn't realistic.

You can't just "optimize" code after every update.. What are they doing, intentionally limiting you to what your iPhone can do and then raise the bar after every single, insignificant update? I swear, I see people saying "my iPhone is so much faster, thanks apple!". What the ***?

Uhh i have noticed that my i5 has ACTUALLY better performance then before. App store is smoother and doesnt stutter anymore on my i5, Maps doesnt stutter randomly anymore when I zoom in Maps and I start panning around. Music App loads faster then it did before on my i5. So yeah actually they did do some optimizations to the code because I actually notice a difference.

My wifi performance has went up aswell with iOS 6.1.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
As someone who has written programs (not going to call myself a developer) you can get your code/OS to run faster on the same hardware with an OS update. Look what Google did with 4.1. So its entirely possible. Not saying it happens with every OS update and I think these perceived performance improvements are mostly physiological but it can be done.
Exactly, its ludicrous to think Apple absolutely did no optimizations in iOS 6.1, even if there pretty minute
Bahroo is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Can you explain to me why you could not optimize your code after every update?

I want a detail answer that a developer would understand.
Kashsystems is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:35 PM   #9
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Can you stop making threads?
cmChimera is offline   3
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Paradoxally
macrumors 6502

Quote:

What a ludicrous claim. You've obviously NEVER even touched an Android phone on earlier versions of that OS and then upgraded to 4.1 Jelly Bean to see what a difference Google has made to the stability and fluidness of the OS. But again, what does Google know about coding, right???

And as for iOS, it is more than possible for Apple to optimize their code. There are many users saying that their i5 has no lag anymore doing certain tasks. You can always optimize code, fix bugs, refactor, etc. Actually, it's where a dev spends more time.

I highly advise you to stop making these childish, whiny threads and get your ass into a programming class.
Paradoxally is offline   3
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:48 PM   #11
Mrg02d
Banned

When I went from 5.1.1 to 6.01, I noticed a large increase in speed via safari...

Im an EE major about to graduate and while Im not a programmer(I chose power), I took plenty of programming classes and found there are always ways of optimizing code to work with less CPU cycles...There is ALWAYS room for improvement. It all comes down to CPU cyles per instruction. You might not be able to make a CPU clock faster, but you CAN minimize CPU cycles needed for a particular function.
Mrg02d is offline   3
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:50 PM   #12
DavidBlack
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxally View Post
What a ludicrous claim. You've obviously NEVER even touched an Android phone on earlier versions of that OS and then upgraded to 4.1 Jelly Bean to see what a difference Google has made to the stability and fluidness of the OS. But again, what does Google know about coding, right???

And as for iOS, it is more than possible for Apple to optimize their code. There are many users saying that their i5 has no lag anymore doing certain tasks. You can always optimize code, fix bugs, refactor, etc. Actually, it's where a dev spends more time.

I highly advise you to stop making these childish, whiny threads and get your ass into a programming class.

WELL Said bro, also apple makes the hardware and software so they can really optimize they code to "just work with their devices"
DavidBlack is offline   1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBlack View Post
WELL Said bro, also apple makes the hardware and software so they can really optimize they code to "just work with their devices"
Theres always room for improvement...i see performance enhancements from iOS 6.1 to mt i5 easily. My wifi performance is alot better on iOS 6.1 aswell and I have been using my phone for 45 mins on screen time and only 4% battery life went away so battery life is even better on iOS 6.1 aswell
Bahroo is offline   1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:59 PM   #14
atteligibility
macrumors regular

Quote:

You can't just "optimize" code after every update..
mmm.... okay. I seriously hope you're not a developer and if you are, then I would like to ask every one else to not judge us based on this guy, and I would suggest you go get some additional training maybe?

I am an iOS/OSX developer myself, manage about 20 apps on the app store right now. Working on app updates is pretty much all I do at this point, with no time left for new projects.

A typical update would look something like:
- 25% new features
- 50% bug fixes
- 25% optimization of existing features, such as battery usage, faster animations and loading times, faster connections/reconnections, improved error handling for specific exceptions...

This would be a crime if their team was not continuously working on improving core OS features, which for a mobile wireless device would mostly be connectivity and battery usage.

Yes, a few of their guys work on meaningless things like the wallpaper, since some people like you think that's what an OS is all about, but believe me, most of those folks work on fixing and optimizing the core, which is not only essential for the current devices, but also to develop their new devices.

Have you heard about the future new iPad with the slim profile of the iPad mini, or the always slimmer iPhones? Those slim designs can't be achieved with the improvements in battery and processor technology alone, a good portion of the work is to optimize the software as well to require less and less battery to perform the same functions.
atteligibility is offline   2
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:04 PM   #15
DavidBlack
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by atteligibility View Post
mmm.... okay. I seriously hope you're not a developer and if you are, then I would like to ask every one else to not judge us based on this guy, and I would suggest you go get some additional training maybe?

I am an iOS/OSX developer myself, manage about 20 apps on the app store right now. Working on app updates is pretty much all I do at this point, with no time left for new projects.

A typical update would look something like:
- 25% new features
- 50% bug fixes
- 25% optimization of existing features, such as battery usage, faster animations and loading times, faster connections/reconnections, improved error handling for specific exceptions...

This would be a crime if their team was not continuously working on improving core OS features, which for a mobile wireless device would mostly be connectivity and battery usage.

Yes, a few of their guys work on meaningless things like the wallpaper, since some people like you think that's what an OS is all about, but believe me, most of those folks work on fixing and optimizing the core, which is not only essential for the current devices, but also to develop their new devices.

Have you heard about the future new iPad with the slim profile of the iPad mini, or the always slimmer iPhones? Those slim designs can't be achieved with the improvements in battery and processor technology alone, a good portion of the work is to optimize the software as well to require less and less battery to perform the same functions.
Since your a IOS developer I wanted to begin to develop app what books would you recommend? thanks in advance
DavidBlack is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:15 PM   #16
atteligibility
macrumors regular

Quote:
Since your a IOS developer I wanted to begin to develop app what books would you recommend? thanks in advance
I am not sure I would be the best person to ask, I started programming 20 years ago, so I am not aware of the best beginners book out there.
Do you have any programming experience and want to focus on iOS, or you have no background in programming and don't care about the platform (iOS, Mac, Windows, Android...)?
atteligibility is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:24 PM   #17
DavidBlack
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by atteligibility View Post
I am not sure I would be the best person to ask, I started programming 20 years ago, so I am not aware of the best beginners book out there.
Do you have any programming experience and want to focus on iOS, or you have no background in programming and don't care about the platform (iOS, Mac, Windows, Android...)?
Nope I only read on book and that was IOS 5 beginners Guide by appress. So yes and no I just know the basics like making a simple app using CoreLocation Etc.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:33 PM   #18
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

OP, you do realize that most of the people who say "safari seems snappier" after every update are just being facetious, right?
thelookingglass is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:36 PM   #19
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
OP, you do realize that most of the people who say "safari seems snappier" after every update are just being facetious, right?
Safari was faster for me going from 5 to 6...I wasnt expecting this either, just noticed much faster web page load times despite my internet connection.
Mrg02d is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:43 PM   #20
atteligibility
macrumors regular

Quote:
Nope I only read on book and that was IOS 5 beginners Guide by appress. So yes and no I just know the basics like making a simple app using CoreLocation Etc.
If you've already made some Hello wold type app, I would say you can go two ways:
- Do more and more of those simple apps, following youtube tutorials. Some of them are surprisingly good. It's a great way to learn more and more about the dev environment and techniques with fast results and without breaking the bank
- I personally get books when they're good atemporal books, nothing worse than buying a book about iOS6 that will be obsolete in 2 months. Such a book is here http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Design-P...esign+patterns It's not the kinda book where you're going to learn where to click or what to write, but you will learn a lot about the theory and you would want to read that if you want to become a good programmer
atteligibility is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:59 PM   #21
johnhurley
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You can't just "optimize" code after every update..
I reverse assembled the binary code and then refactored it into fortran using a plsql encrypted package originally ported from algol using yacc.

The microfocus cobol 64 version had some memory leaks but would be ok in a ipad with 128 gb so no worries thats the next iteration!
johnhurley is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:00 PM   #22
DavidBlack
macrumors 6502

Thanks but should I start learning objective C First in order to build apps? Thanks in advance
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:05 PM   #23
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

So you're arguing that Apple hasn't figured out any way to optimize better since the start of iOS? You're arguing that there's no possible way to improve how fast the App Store works, applications launch, and so forth?

That's a level of fanboy that just scares me.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:18 PM   #24
Mr. RPG
macrumors 6502a

I love how quick you guys are to defend yourselves and the Apple brand.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:23 PM   #25
BlaqkAudio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I love how quick you guys are to defend yourselves and the Apple brand.
You're the one who's saying Apple somehow manages to have perfectly efficient code in every major release of iOS.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland