Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:52 PM   #1
scraptag
macrumors newbie

Apple Store reinstalled OS

So, my hard drive had a hiccup, and the Apple store genius reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled the OS. However, my computer came with Microsoft Office, and he didn't reinstall it. Is there a way to drag it over from my desktop, since I bought them both at the same time, and they had the same software? I don't have a disk to reinstall it.
btw, I bought the laptop and desktop in 2004, and upgraded to snow leopard a few years ago.
Any help would be appreciated.
scraptag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:59 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

What MS Office version do you have on what Mac running what Mac OS X version? I just ask, because Macs released before 2006 cannot run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, only Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard at the latest, thus I presume you have MS Office 2004.

You could try Migration Assistant on the Mac with the new OS install and migrate applications from that other Mac.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3
scraptag
macrumors newbie

y'know. I think I'm crazy. We bought them late in 2006, and it was right before the better os came out. I currently have 10.6.8 on my computers. I got the date wrong because I had Office 2004 for mac on them. Sorry...
scraptag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:10 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraptag View Post
y'know. I think I'm crazy. We bought them late in 2006, and it was right before the better os came out. I currently have 10.6.8 on my computers. I got the date wrong because I had Office 2004 for mac on them. Sorry...
Okay, then you could still try to use Migration Assistant via an Ethernet connection between the two Macs.

Migration Assistant / Setup Assistant information:
Setting-up a new Mac from an old one, its Backups, or a PC
which includes:more information: Apple OSX and Time Machine Tips
PS: Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard was released in 10/2007.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help