Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:33 PM   #26
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnitsa View Post
And your bro has never experienced a BSOD on the rock solid OS that is windows.
Not talking about OS talking about hardware.
wickedking94 is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:35 PM   #27
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
And once my other brothers laptop's DVD drive failed. It costs 10$ and took 30 seconds to replace because like most laptops it doesn't use expensive proprietary parts to make it 1 mm thinner.
Thats a terrific story do you have any more?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:35 PM   #28
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkim1983 View Post
No one cares that you're mad. I don't care if you're mad, but if it makes you feel any better, I am laughing at your expense right now.

Windows and Linux variants also have obvious faults. I haven't seen anyone here state that Macs are "perfect". Stop throwing a temper tantrum like a child and blowing things out of proportion.

Or rather, continue on with your little show, because I am getting great enjoyment out of it. HA HA HA

HA HA HA

HA HA HA
Please explain how this is a "temper tantrum"?
Because all i've done is point out the obvious.
wickedking94 is offline   1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:39 PM   #29
ocnitsa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Not talking about OS talking about hardware.
Sorry about mentioning BSODs...I was blindsided about how your bro experiences hardware failures to the point that he needs to deal with disposable components in a modular fashion. No worries!
ocnitsa is offline   1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:39 PM   #30
ayeying
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ayeying
Quote:
Please explain how this is a "temper tantrum"?
Because all i've done is point out the obvious.
You're arguing with us. You're not pointing out the obvious. Whatever we say, you counter. That's an argument.
ayeying is offline   4
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:40 PM   #31
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I posted this because quite frankly im sick to death of how most of the Mac user population turns a blind eye to the obvious faults that Mac has and just keep spewing the "mac is perfect" BS.
Your post had a profound impact in my life - I just had a paradigm shift. Thanks!
Spink10 is offline   2
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:44 PM   #32
technopimp
macrumors 6502

OK, I'll bite. So what is your MBP NOT doing that you "need" it to do?

There's no law against having more than one machine, if you can afford and want to.

If I was still a PC gamer I would build a gaming Windows PC and not try to spec out a high-end Mac just for the sake of having a Mac.

It sounds more like you have severe (and long-term...2010?) buyer's remorse. If so, I'd say it's time to move on. There will always be something better/faster/cheaper right after you make a purchase.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:45 PM   #33
syd430

Quote:
I posted this because quite frankly im sick to death of how most of the Mac user population turns a blind eye to the obvious faults that Mac has and just keep spewing the "mac is perfect" BS.
No. These arguments have been done to death for many many years now. I can tell that you are probably a bit young and this is all just a new revelation to you.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:49 PM   #34
robvas
macrumors 68000

I just bought a < 1" thick PC laptop with a 2560x1600 screen, 8-hour battery, giant glass trackpad, and thunderbolt for only $1000.

Oh wait, those don't exist
robvas is offline   3
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:52 PM   #35
BlaqkAudio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Basically I'm bringing it up again because I'm pissed off at the lack of capability from a 2 year old over priced block of metal and I want other people to realize that its true. Or failing that piss them off too.
Sounds like you're just angry that technology decided to advance between the time you bought your MBP and your brother bought his computer.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:53 PM   #36
syd430

Quote:
Heres a summary of why MacBook Pro's are bad value.

Back in 2010 I bought a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. It cost 1200$ before tax. This is what I got:

2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo Dual core
4 GB DDR3 SDRAM
250GB HDD
GeForce 320M 256MB

Less than a year later my brother got a laptop. He paid 1200$ before tax. This is what he got:

2.8 Ghz Core i7 Quad Core
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM
750 GB HDD
1GB GeForce DEDICATED graphics

Thats still better than the newest MacBook Pro that costs 1200$ before tax.

My brothers laptop can still do all the latest and greatest video editing and gaming, while mine struggles to do them at the most basic settings.
http://i.imgur.com/5U0Kv.jpg

Last edited by syd430; Jan 28, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:56 PM   #37
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post

There's no law against having more than one machine, if you can afford and want to.

If I was still a PC gamer I would build a gaming Windows PC and not try to spec out a high-end Mac just for the sake of having a Mac.

It sounds more like you have severe (and long-term...2010?) buyer's remorse. If so, I'd say it's time to move on. There will always be something better/faster/cheaper right after you make a purchase.
It can't render in Autodesk maya, it can barely render from adober premiere, and it struggles to play a game as simple as GMOD. And I cant buy another Mac because I live in an over populated town with no jobs, otherwise this wouldn't be a problem.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvas View Post
I just bought a < 1" thick PC laptop with a 2560x1600 screen, 8-hour battery, giant glass trackpad, and thunderbolt for only $1000.

Oh wait, those don't exist
No I have a 1" thick laptop with a 1280X800 screen, a used to be 10 but now is more like 6 hour battery, a trackpad I dont care about because I bought a mouse, and thunderbolt that wasn't released when I got mine and is useless anyways for over 1000$
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:58 PM   #38
ocnitsa
macrumors newbie

[QUOTE=wickedking94;16744015]It can't render in Autodesk maya, it can barely render from adober premiere, and it struggles to play a game as simple as GMOD. And I cant buy another Mac because I live in an over populated town with no jobs, otherwise this wouldn't be a problem.[COLOR="#808080"]

Sell it on Craig's List at a deep discount and since PC lappies are so cheap get yourself one you think you'll love 2 years later.
ocnitsa is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:59 PM   #39
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

And heres another fun little thing apple did. I used to be running OS 10.8, but I went back to 10.6 because its far better, but now I can't re-download Pages and Keynote because apple only has the newest version on their app store. But I bet the latest version of MS office still works on Windows XP.
wickedking94 is offline   1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:59 PM   #40
glenthompson
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post

Between my wife and me, we have 10 computers. 7 macs/iPads and 3 wi dows machines. Two of the PCs are in dedicated applications with no Mac equivalent. I like to get the best tool for the task at hand.

As example I needed a pc to run diesel engine management software (VMSpc) that is Windows only. Bought a used netbook for $100 that runs it fine. Right tool for the job.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:02 PM   #41
ocnitsa
macrumors newbie

Thought you talking about hardware and not software.

Everyone knows Microsoft Office is awesome...love how they roll out different document formats in an effort to make ignorant folks upgrade their software because they can't figure out how to set the default save method or convert files. Word is so much more innovative than Word Star or Word Perfect. Awesome.
ocnitsa is offline   1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:09 PM   #42
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

At least they support older software instead of treating it like a disease.

----------

You know what? ******* apple. Mac OS may be better than Windows but the trade offs aren't worth it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:14 PM   #43
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
At least they support older software instead of treating it like a disease.

----------

You know what? ******* apple. Mac OS may be better than Windows but the trade offs aren't worth it.
Go whine somewhere else.
robvas is offline   4
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:18 PM   #44
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvas View Post
Go whine somewhere else.
What don't want to hear the truth that apple does things poorly and that their methods are going to be their undoing?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:19 PM   #45
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

Quote:
And heres another fun little thing apple did. I used to be running OS 10.8, but I went back to 10.6 because its far better, but now I can't re-download Pages and Keynote because apple only has the newest version on their app store. But I bet the latest version of MS office still works on Windows XP.
Strange, I can't think of any reason not to be on 10.8. I have heard of a lot of PC people complaining that they need to downgrade OS's but it rarely happens with Apple unless someone has a very specific work-related app incompatibility.

Anyway, I guess its different value for everyone. I personally like the nice hardware and smooth OS. I like not having to worry about having virus scanners. I like how all my stuff works together (iPhone, iPad, Macbook, Apple TV) and that I don't have to spend time working ON THE computer to work on the computer.

But as others pointed out, if you are into specs and benchmarks and all that then a PC is a better choice. They are also cheaper, so you can replace more often or if they break or are dropped its not as big a loss.

I personally take good care of my stuff, and with 3 year warranty available if you have something break you can get it fixed anyway.

I mean, picking a computer is not a matter of a logical decision any more than picking a boyfriend or girlfriend is. Yes, there are some logical considerations, but ultimately its what feels good to you.

I would always try to convince someone who likes the mac experience but thinks its too pricey to go with it if they can reasonably afford it. But if someone isn't sold on the experience then there is no point in shelling out double the cash for features you won't appreciate.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:21 PM   #46
torana355
macrumors 65816

You are not forced to by an Apple laptop. That being said Apple would be smart to cater to a larger audience by creating lower priced laptops and iphones with bigger screens ect ect.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:23 PM   #47
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

The point there really is it shouldn't matter what OS I'm on. What if I had never bought OS 10.8 but wanted Pages? I can see them not supporting OS 10.4 and 10.5 anymore but 10.6 isn't that old. Apple is to restricting with certain things.

And they aim to be "user friendly" yet they don't come with flash or java pre-installed. What if my grandmother got a Mac and she wanted to use youtube and it kept telling her to install a bunch of stuff? Hardly user friendly.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:26 PM   #48
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The point there really is it shouldn't matter what OS I'm on. What if I had never bought OS 10.8 but wanted Pages? I can see them not supporting OS 10.4 and 10.5 anymore but 10.6 isn't that old. Apple is to restricting with certain things.

And they aim to be "user friendly" yet they don't come with flash or java pre-installed. What if my grandmother got a Mac and she wanted to use youtube and it kept telling her to install a bunch of stuff? Hardly user friendly.
Who uses Java applets still, seriously? If granny wants Flash, have her install Chrome.
robvas is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:28 PM   #49
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

Okay but still. It shouldn't matter what APPLES stance on flash is it should matter what the CONSUMERS stance on flash is. I wholeheartedly agree that flash is bloated and a pain, but until theres a widespread alternative we have to suck it up and use it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:35 PM   #50
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Try installing IE 9.0 or Office 2013 on Windows XP, or IE 10 on Vista and get back to me.

----------

Quote:
What don't want to hear the truth that apple does things poorly and that their methods are going to be their undoing?
Apple has 90% of the market on computers over $1000, so they must be doing something right. HP seriously thought about exiting the PC market in 2011 after Meg Whitman took over. Michael Dell is thinking about taking the company private again (it has gotten so cheap).
KPOM is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland