Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:38 PM   #51
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
Okay but still. It shouldn't matter what APPLES stance on flash is it should matter what the CONSUMERS stance on flash is. I wholeheartedly agree that flash is bloated and a pain, but until theres a widespread alternative we have to suck it up and use it.
Does a Windows machine come installed with Flash and Java?

Find better arguments.
robvas is offline   4
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:39 PM   #52
nhlducks35
macrumors regular

Retina display is a gimmick? Get out of here
nhlducks35 is offline   3
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:42 PM   #53
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

I guess I get to go back to OS 10.8 since I need my resume which is in Pages format.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlducks35 View Post
Retina display is a gimmick? Get out of here
Please what are the practical uses for retina? I don't notice nor do I care about the pixels on my screen, and at a distance of over a foot you can't see the pixels on a 1280X800 13" screen anyways. I would rather have retinas resolution on a big 27" monitor so I can actually make use of all those pixels instead of the stupid 4:1 ratio.
wickedking94 is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:43 PM   #54
hakuin
macrumors regular

Quote:
And heres another fun little thing apple did. I used to be running OS 10.8, but I went back to 10.6 because its far better, but now I can't re-download Pages and Keynote because apple only has the newest version on their app store. But I bet the latest version of MS office still works on Windows XP.
Lot's of iWork '09 DVDs on sale on ebay, take a look.
hakuin is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:49 PM   #55
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I guess I get to go back to OS 10.8 since I need my resume which is in Pages format.

----------

Please what are the practical uses for retina? I don't notice nor do I care about the pixels on my screen, and at a distance of over a foot you can't see the pixels on a 1280X800 13" screen anyways. I would rather have retinas resolution on a big 27" monitor so I can actually make use of all those pixels instead of the stupid 4:1 ratio.
You're really grasping at straws.

As someone pointed out, Windows doesn't come with Java or Flash preinstalled either. And flash is not very important these days. No one uses it for navigation or layouts anymore and most videos also bypass it now, even YouTube. You did not need flash to view YouTube for a year or two now. Grandma will be fine.

Also, retina makes text very clear and easy to read. It is great for small displays because clarity makes them much more comfortable. It is less important on bigger screens but still nice.

And Apple requires you to upgrade but it makes upgrades for software cheap - or as someone pointed out just save or buy an old DVD with the software you want. This way the Apple ecosystem always works well together, where as if they supported older OS's and software versions it would be as chaotic as the PC ecosystem where nothing ever works right with each other.

Again its a matter of preference. If you like to keep old stuff forever then maybe Microsoft's ecosystem is for you. If you like having things always just work and continually get better then Apple works.

But that's not important. If you don't like Apple then its fine. You don't have to grasp at straws to find justifications, you can say you just don't like them or aren't comfortable with them.

And for the other guys here, trying to mount logical arguments to an emotional debate is not going to help. You won't "talk him into" liking Apple if he just doesn't want to.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:53 PM   #56
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuin View Post
Lot's of iWork '09 DVDs on sale on ebay, take a look.
Yes Ill re-buy software I already paid for.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregintosh View Post
You're really grasping at straws.

As someone pointed out, Windows doesn't come with Java or Flash preinstalled either. And flash is not very important these days. No one uses it for navigation or layouts anymore and most videos also bypass it now, even YouTube. You did not need flash to view YouTube for a year or two now. Grandma will be fine.

Also, retina makes text very clear and easy to read. It is great for small displays because clarity makes them much more comfortable. It is less important on bigger screens but still nice.

But that's not important. If you don't like Apple then its fine. You don't have to grasp at straws to find justifications, you can say you just don't like them or aren't comfortable with them.

And for the other guys here, trying to mount logical arguments to an emotional debate is not going to help. You won't "talk him into" liking Apple if he just doesn't want to.
Fine, I wont "grasp at straws". Retina uses a lot more GPU power for something I could live without. And it seems the way apple is going that theres only going to be retina display notebooks soon. And I remember when the rMBP first came out this forum was filled with people having issues like poorer performance than non retina MBPs and dozens of other problems that took months to resolve.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:00 PM   #57
large farva
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes Ill re-buy software I already paid for.

----------

Fine, I wont "grasp at straws". Retina uses a lot more GPU power for something I could live without. And it seems the way apple is going that theres only going to be retina display notebooks soon. And I remember when the rMBP first came out this forum was filled with people having issues like poorer performance than non retina MBPs and dozens of other problems that took months to resolve.
Well see. There you go. "Retina uses a lot more GPU power for something "I" could live without." That's, well, you. Not the entire population. What was you're original post again? I can't remember, it seems in this thread you've been able to feed off of everyone's posts and go from issue to issue.
large farva is offline   2
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:01 PM   #58
Vudoo
macrumors 6502a

Talk about deja vu since you've posted all this before under this topic...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1502816

Did you really need to create a new topic regurgitating everything?
Vudoo is offline   4
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:02 PM   #59
large farva
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

Also, may I point out again. "Please what are the practical uses for retina? "I" don't notice nor do I care about the pixels on my screen." There's that "I" again.
large farva is offline   1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:13 PM   #60
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
You might be able to live without it, and until 4 weeks ago, so did I, but now that I have a rMBP, I think it's worth every penny. Sure, if Apple sells it for less later this year or next, those buyers may be slightly happier than I am, but in December 2012 when I bought mine, I had only one choice if I wanted a 13" notebook with a 2560x1600 display.

At the end of the day, in a market system companies put out products that they think we will want to buy, and success is measured by whether enough people do so. If the MBP is overpriced, people won't buy it, and Apple will either have to cede that market or reduce the price. But if enough people buy it for their liking, they will continue selling it at the current price.

I'd like it if I could get a BMW 5 series for $20,000. A $20,000 Toyota Corolla will get me from place to place just as well as a $50,000 BMW. Reality =/= desires quite often.
KPOM is online now   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:22 PM   #61
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo View Post
Talk about deja vu since you've posted all this before under this topic...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1502816

Did you really need to create a new topic regurgitating everything?
Well I can either vent here since I have no one else to talk to or I can take my frustrations out on my macbook so I think this is the better choice.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:28 PM   #62
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Well I can either vent here since I have no one else to talk to or I can take my frustrations out on my macbook so I think this is the better choice.
considering you don't like your macbook take out your frustration on that. then buy a PC with windows 8
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:41 PM   #63
RafaelCastro
macrumors newbie

Quote:
And you think that we care about your whining?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:44 PM   #64
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
But I don't want to use Windows. Thats the effing point. Why cant I have Mac OS on a cheap plastic laptop with good specs instead of this stupid ascetics piece of junk.
And do you also wanna pay $400 for Mac OSX?

Apple makes their money on the hardware, rather than the software. That is why their hardware is expensive and their software is either cheap or free.
mrsir2009 is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:45 PM   #65
Vudoo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Considering that you have vented before about the same issues, one will predict that you will continue to vent as long as you own the laptop. So it may be better that you take your frustration out on the macbook so you will no longer have anything to vent about.

I was helpful the last time around, but this time I am going to tell you to accept what you have and get over your first world problem. I am sure there are much better ways to channel your frustrations into something more productive then venting it on a web forum where the majority of people will respond negatively towards your situation. For starters, find someone to talk to in person instead of spending your time online.
Vudoo is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:47 PM   #66
eco7777
macrumors member

i have a friend who makes OSX work wonderfully on Pc's he assembles, but he lives in the Caribbean.
His machine was a lot faster than my macbook pro, a lot.
eco7777 is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:47 PM   #67
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
And do you also wanna pay $400 for Mac OSX?

Apple makes their money on the hardware, rather than the software.
They make enough money from the stupid iPhone and iPad crap to be able to drop the cost of Macs. Unless they're saving up for a planet.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:55 PM   #68
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
They make enough money from the stupid iPhone and iPad crap to be able to drop the cost of Macs. Unless they're saving up for a planet.
The last time I checked, Apple was a for-profit business trying to make as much money for their shareholders as possible. I don't know of an official arbiter of what constitutes "enough" money.
KPOM is online now   3
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:56 PM   #69
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
The last time I checked, Apple was a for-profit business trying to make as much money for their shareholders as possible. I don't know of an official arbiter of what constitutes "enough" money.
...Which generally what most public companies do...

Last edited by maflynn; Jan 29, 2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Removed deleted post from quote
mrsir2009 is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:59 PM   #70
duervo
macrumors 6502a

This is a ridiculous thread.

When I was in the market for a new laptop last fall, I came up with a list of specs that I desired, and then went shopping.

I specifically looked at the "ultrabook" class of systems, which included Lenovo's recently-announced (at that time) Thinkpad X1 Carbon, Dell's XPS 13 Ultrabook, HP's ENVY Ultrabook, and Apple's Macbook Air.

I filtered the list down to where it came between either the Macbook Air 13", or the Thinkpad X1 Carbon. When I finished pricing them both out, I could get a Macbook Air 13" with 8GB RAM for a bit over $2000 ($2199 I think is what it was, or something close to that, with AppleCare) or a Thinkpad X1 Carbon with 4GB RAM (they didn't have 8GB options out at that time) for $100 more than the Macbook Air 13" (with a 3-year NBD mail-in to depot warranty). Same CPU, same disk size. Displays were a bit different, though.

Needless to say I never got either one of them in the end. It was just too much for me to pay for what I would get. The point is, when it comes to technology, and computers specifically, at time of purchase, do your comparison to similar-specced systems. Any other comparison is a waste of time and effort.

You can't buy a system and then 6 months later, when something newer is available, compare yours to the then current systems (with completely different form factors too!) and expect to come out ahead, or even equal. That's never been the case ... ever. It's completely ludicrous to expect otherwise.
duervo is offline   3
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:17 PM   #71
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

I think the low-end MacBook Pro is now a bit like the old MacBook. It's in some ways Apple's consumer, all-around computer. Strangely enough, except for the Mac Pro, it's the only Mac left with an optical drive, which consumers seem to like. I also noticed the push it a lot on QVC now, which seems to target customers who are fairly mainstream. They sell the low-end MacBook Pro for 1,699 on QVC, but include supposed extra value.

Overpriced at 1,699 (QVC), yes. Overpriced at 1,199—yeah, I think they could drop it down to at least iBook prices (they started at $999, at least for the G4s, as I recall). I think the 500 GB hard drive is probably the component that makes it seem most overpriced to me. If it had the new type of hybrid drive or even a smaller SSD drive, it might seem a bit more reasonable.

I just upgraded my MBP to an SSD, and it made a world of difference. The 256 GB SSD was about $160.
swingerofbirch is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:20 PM   #72
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

The core 2 duo design was 4 years old when my MBP came out, and the 1st gen Core i series was out. Why did they put an old crappy CPU into a product when better options were available. Im sure it costs soo much to make a stupid garbage laptop. I bet it costs apple less than 400$ to make a MBP.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingerofbirch View Post
I just upgraded my MBP to an SSD, and it made a world of difference. The 256 GB SSD was about $160.
SSD is the biggest gimmick in the computer industry. It makes useless things go faster. I dont care if my computer starts in 10 seconds, I hardly ever restart this thing. I dont care if programs open 5 seconds faster, they dont run any better. I barely do any file transfer stuff so fast read/write speeds don't mean squat.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:27 PM   #73
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

This is becoming ridiculous send this thread to the wasteland
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:34 PM   #74
adjeff8
macrumors 6502

[QUOTE=wickedking94;16743897]I posted this because quite frankly im sick to death of how most of the Mac user population turns a blind eye to the obvious faults that Mac has and just keep spewing the "mac is perfect" BS.

----------

Well maybe Apple should finally give a crap about what consumers want before they're stock falls through the floor and they're back to the way they were in the 90's

Apple stock falling thru the floor? Hmmm. At closing today Apple Stock was $449.83. Microsoft? $27.91. God, I fear for the day that Apple falls far enough to be like Microsoft
adjeff8 is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:35 PM   #75
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:

SSD is the biggest gimmick in the computer industry. It makes useless things go faster. I dont care if my computer starts in 10 seconds, I hardly ever restart this thing. I dont care if programs open 5 seconds faster, they dont run any better. I barely do any file transfer stuff so fast read/write speeds don't mean squat.
Please stop embarrassing yourself. Harddrives are one of the biggest bottlenecks on computers these days, an SSD is one of the best upgrades you can do. Btw the sequential fast read/write speeds are not as important but the much much higher IOPS are very important.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland