I vote for this!
Spink10 is online now   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:40 AM   #77
upintheclouds
macrumors member

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
Heres a summary of why MacBook Pro's are bad value.

Back in 2010 I bought a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. It cost 1200$ before tax. This is what I got:

2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo Dual core
4 GB DDR3 SDRAM
250GB HDD
GeForce 320M 256MB

Less than a year later my brother got a laptop. He paid 1200$ before tax. This is what he got:

2.8 Ghz Core i7 Quad Core
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM
750 GB HDD
1GB GeForce DEDICATED graphics

Thats still better than the newest MacBook Pro that costs 1200$ before tax.

My brothers laptop can still do all the latest and greatest video editing and gaming, while mine struggles to do them at the most basic settings.
They are a bad value because technology advances? Am I missing something here? I've read the whole thread (and would like the last 10 minutes back) and either the OP is a huge troll or is super dense. Buy a new computer you like and move on. Enjoy life

Last edited by upintheclouds; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Additional thought
upintheclouds is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:50 AM   #78
duervo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
SSD is the biggest gimmick in the computer industry. It makes useless things go faster. I dont care if my computer starts in 10 seconds, I hardly ever restart this thing. I dont care if programs open 5 seconds faster, they dont run any better. I barely do any file transfer stuff so fast read/write speeds don't mean squat.
I understand now why you're unemployed. If you ever finish school, you will probably need to change your attitude, because there aren't any companies that I know of where childish behaviour is rewarded.

Good luck.
duervo is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:31 AM   #79
ClassObject
macrumors 6502

Quote:
"paid for itself?"

What can that hardware do than any other hardware cant do at a fraction the cost?

And retina display doesn't count because thats a stupid gimmick.
It has paid for itself. Work your azz off and yours will too.
ClassObject is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:49 AM   #80
vpro
macrumors 65816

I like your attitude, passion and perspectives.

I respect your thoughts and views. There is quite the mob here. The Apple's site has a great support community that actually makes sense. Though I have some really great friends and mysterious angels on this site so I'm gonna stick around. ^_^

As a ProSumer I just have to make sure I know exactly what I need out of a computer and not what the 'brands' wanna sell me, that is always a guaranteed fail. So if you know what you need and invest in the right tools, you're on the right track in so many ways!

I like the bit about the SSD very much, this is a generation now of desperate need for speed. I gave it a shot and it is working out for me quite well so far. I'm a recording artist so I don't need much, the technology for musicians have become more and more accessible, more affordable than for most other creative production needs. Now anyone can be a 'musician' but the artists are the ones who excel and innovate beyond the technologies available which ultimately makes that possible. I found that for myself, Mac has been the only powerhouse tool for me. But I'm not going to take off my panties and worship the red crispy fruit!

xox
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:44 AM   #81
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnitsa View Post
And your bro has never experienced a BSOD on the rock solid OS that is windows.
This is an old tired argument. They are not common, and they are almost always hardware related. People on here sometimes get them from bad ram or failing gpus and logic boards. On macs they look like this. In either case, if you get them frequently, a computer is going in for repair. In rare cases drivers cause them too. I've seen them caused by driver incompatibilities with HBAs, bad recently upgraded ram, failing components in general, and flaky mouse drivers on Macs. It's about the same for Windows. If everything is as it should be, you should never experience them.

http://km.support.apple.com/library/..._KP-001-en.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuin View Post
Lot's of iWork '09 DVDs on sale on ebay, take a look.
First he already paid for it. Second those dvds aren't meant for resale. You're just allowing the jerks to profit from licenses which are not meant to be transferable.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:45 AM   #82
trikky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Back in 2010 I bought a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. It cost 1200$ before tax. This is what I got:

Less than a year later my brother got a laptop. He paid 1200$ before tax. This is what he got:
So, he bought a technological product a year later with slightly better specs at the same price.

That's how tech rolls. You should have seen the differences in fax machines my father-in-law bought over three or four years. Remember fax machines?

As has already been stated, it's more than just the specs.

You pay a premium with Apple computers because - unless you have the one-in-a-million DOA machine, they are designed to work with the OS.

You pay a premium with Apple computers because - unless you have the one-in-a-million odd device, you know peripherals that say they work with Mac WILL work with Mac.

You pay a premium with Apple computers because - you said it yourself, MacOS is superior.

If you want to pay for a cheap laptop that may or may not work with MacOS, you go right ahead. I know you can find directions on creating a Hackintosh on the web. However, you can almost guarantee you will have compatibility issues, either between the hardware and the OS, or between the OS and peripherals. And what good is a cheap computer that doesn't work correctly with your scanner or printer?

I pay a premium for Apple computers because I know they're good, I know what I'm getting and I know they will work out of the box. Based on experiences with the Windows box I use at work or the Windows laptop I use for school (paid for by my employer) and they only serve to confirm my purchasing decisions.

If you don't like paying a premium for Apple, then don't. It doesn't mean others can't choose to.
trikky is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:00 AM   #83
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
No, trolling would be going "Gaiz MAcs R so dum. PC r way bettur wai U guaz uz Macz?"

----------

No I believe it was at the very beginning of the Sandy Bridge CPUs.
That s what you said, and 2010 was not the year for Sandy Bridge

Quote:
And heres another fun little thing apple did. I used to be running OS 10.8, but I went back to 10.6 because its far better, but now I can't re-download Pages and Keynote because apple only has the newest version on their app store. But I bet the latest version of MS office still works on Windows XP.
Call apple it's an 800 number they will unlock your stuff and it'll stay that way.

Quote:
What don't want to hear the truth that apple does things poorly and that their methods are going to be their undoing?
This site call Apple out on a regular basis, though there are true believers just like at OCN

Quote:
The core 2 duo design was 4 years old when my MBP came out, and the 1st gen Core i series was out. Why did they put an old crappy CPU into a product when better options were available. Im sure it costs soo much to make a stupid garbage laptop. I bet it costs apple less than 400$ to make a MBP.

----------

SSD is the biggest gimmick in the computer industry. It makes useless things go faster. I dont care if my computer starts in 10 seconds, I hardly ever restart this thing. I dont care if programs open 5 seconds faster, they dont run any better. I barely do any file transfer stuff so fast read/write speeds don't mean squat.
The Core 2 architecture was closer to 6 years old and had just been superseded by Core i. Apple explained why they did it you just didn't listen or research, you went oohh new computer.

SSD's help for more than the ooohhh factor, but you have not done research again..

Maturation is your biggest issue.
GermanyChris is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:04 AM   #84
kensic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No, trolling would be going "Gaiz MAcs R so dum. PC r way bettur wai U guaz uz Macz?"

----------

No I believe it was at the very beginning of the Sandy Bridge CPUs.
sorry to say this....but i got my ivy bridge mac 15" version for 1186$ AFTER tax.
kensic is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:25 AM   #85
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
The core 2 duo design was 4 years old when my MBP came out, and the 1st gen Core i series was out. Why did they put an old crappy CPU into a product when better options were available. Im sure it costs soo much to make a stupid garbage laptop. I bet it costs apple less than 400$ to make a MBP.

----------

It's useful for when you run out of RAM. I have 8 GB of RAM and frequently run out of free RAM when using Safari, and I've found that Safari hangs far less with the SSD, and so far I've only had the "Web pages have stopped responding" message once, which used to come up far more often. I tend to keep a lot of tabs open, and use Flash and Silverlight.

Other things that should be fast without an SSD (like searching for messages in Messages, which before the SSD would crash Messages for me or be extremely slow) now work like they should. That's a case where hardware is making up for badly written software, which isn't good, but it's nice for the end user.

I can't speak to the long-term reliability of SSDs, but right now, it's sped up a lot of things that used to be extremely slow, opening Word, closing applications, using Safari, loading new levels in games like Trine 2, etc. And yes, turning on the computer, not that I restart or shut down often.
swingerofbirch is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:48 AM   #86
Barna Biro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthompson View Post
Between my wife and me, we have 10 computers. 7 macs/iPads and 3 wi dows machines. Two of the PCs are in dedicated applications with no Mac equivalent. I like to get the best tool for the task at hand.

As example I needed a pc to run diesel engine management software (VMSpc) that is Windows only. Bought a used netbook for $100 that runs it fine. Right tool for the job.
Actually, you seem more like the type who likes to gather junk... Sorry if I'm too blunt, but 2 persons using 10 computers? Ohhh, riiiight.... you're actually not using all 10 devices frequently, you just like to have them locked up in a closet and randomly pull one out from time to time for whatever made up reason.

As for your "dedicated applications with no Mac equivalent" problem: have you ever heard about Bootcamp or VMWare or Parallels? ( don't even try coming back with: "but it still works better on a dedicated PC than Bootmap or Parallels", cause you have yourself stated that a ****** 100$ netbook is "just fine" for your needs ) For sure you have, but you still like to gather and pile junk instead... Raccoon style forever!

It's ironic how you run around throwing statements like: "Right tool for the right job." when you, yourself don't really understand the meaning of the phrase... way to go to the extreme bud!

Last edited by Barna Biro; Jan 29, 2013 at 03:55 AM.
Barna Biro is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:10 AM   #87
Tyrion
macrumors 6502a

The OP does have a point. In my 10+ years of using Macs I've found that OS X is only fun to use if you have a decently specced and therefore rather expensive machine. Every time I've had to use those crappy white MacBooks with their terrible screens or those sluggish 13 inch MBPs with that ridiculously low resolution I basically wanted to kill myself. Thank god I can always buy Macs at a great rebate through my university, which allows me to splash for decent machines that last at least a few years until they too become too slow to handle.

In early 2011 I got a 17 inch MBP with a 2.3 ghz i7, 512 GB SSD and 8 GB RAM. On paper, that's still a passable machine, but I'm going to have to upgrade to 16 gigs of RAM since even standard apps like Safari and iPhoto have become even bigger memory hogs than they always were. So don't feed me that myth of the oh-so efficient OS X.
Tyrion is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland