Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:06 AM   #1
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I want a Pro version of the iPad/iPad Mini

I currently own an iPad Mini. However, I wish Apple comes out with a Pro version of the iPad/iPad Mini.

What's the pro version? Something that's more of a laptop/desktop replacement use for content creation. The current iPad isn't much different than a big iPod Touch. I mostly use the iPad for media consumption.

Here are some features I would like in the first Pro version:

1. A more advance version of iOS with multi-view and multi-tasking. Instead of switching from one app to another, you can have 2 apps open at the same time allowing you to move images, text, or whatever from one app to another.
2. Support for a pressure sensitive stylus for drawing, taking notes, and work related.
3. Better access to files on internal storage, external drives, or cloud services.
4. Must have a retina screen for a Pro version.
hyteckit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:03 AM   #2
pat park
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I currently own an iPad Mini. However, I wish Apple comes out with a Pro version of the iPad/iPad Mini.

What's the pro version? Something that's more of a laptop/desktop replacement use for content creation. The current iPad isn't much different than a big iPod Touch. I mostly use the iPad for media consumption.

Here are some features I would like in the first Pro version:

1. A more advance version of iOS with multi-view and multi-tasking. Instead of switching from one app to another, you can have 2 apps open at the same time allowing you to move images, text, or whatever from one app to another.
2. Support for a pressure sensitive stylus for drawing, taking notes, and work related.
3. Better access to files on internal storage, external drives, or cloud services.
4. Must have a retina screen for a Pro version.
you want OSX with a touch interface. Apple isn't going there.
__________________
pat park is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:11 AM   #3
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
you know the reason apple is successful is because it focuses on the consumer market and not the professional market. right?
FrozenDarkness is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:15 AM   #4
hyteckit
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat park View Post
you want OSX with a touch interface. Apple isn't going there.
No. I don't want OSX.

I already have a MacBook Pro.

What I want is an iPad Pro. I like the battery life, touch interface, and simplicity of iOS. Just simply updated to support multi-view, pressure sensitive stylus, and better file access.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenDarkness View Post
you know the reason apple is successful is because it focuses on the consumer market and not the professional market. right?
And that won't change with the inclusion of an iPad Pro.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:18 AM   #5
Giuly
macrumors 68040
 
Giuly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
You want to turn on gestures and swipe left/right with four fingers to switch between apps, tap-n-hold to copy images and text and a keyboard cover.

I'd rather dub a 13" iPad as Pro, and if you need extended file access, you're using it wrong™.
Giuly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:42 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As posted, Apple have no plans for a touch based OSX version. Buy an MBA or a new rMBP and all those features are there for you. My ipad 4 is used like yours, it's primary function is entertainment....My iMac, MBP and MBA do the work...the ipad does the fun stuff.
__________________
..That's All Folks
Macman45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:45 AM   #7
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I currently own an iPad Mini. However, I wish Apple comes out with a Pro version of the iPad/iPad Mini.

What's the pro version? Something that's more of a laptop/desktop replacement use for content creation. The current iPad isn't much different than a big iPod Touch. I mostly use the iPad for media consumption.

Here are some features I would like in the first Pro version:

1. A more advance version of iOS with multi-view and multi-tasking. Instead of switching from one app to another, you can have 2 apps open at the same time allowing you to move images, text, or whatever from one app to another.
2. Support for a pressure sensitive stylus for drawing, taking notes, and work related.
3. Better access to files on internal storage, external drives, or cloud services.
4. Must have a retina screen for a Pro version.
Send an email to Tim Cook and Phil Schiller.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:35 AM   #8
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenDarkness View Post
you know the reason apple is successful is because it focuses on the consumer market and not the professional market. right?

There was once a time when the exact opposite of this was the reason why Apple was successful....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Here are some features I would like in the first Pro version:

1. A more advance version of iOS with multi-view and multi-tasking. Instead of switching from one app to another, you can have 2 apps open at the same time allowing you to move images, text, or whatever from one app to another.
.
4. Must have a retina screen for a Pro version.
You do realise the liklihood is that iOS 7 (big overhaul of things like multitasking etc..) and refreshed ipad mini in Fall with Retina will do this without the need of a 'pro' version


As for better support for pen input.. bluetooth 4 stylus are doing much of that now.

http://www.cultofmac.com/188977/pogo...or-the-ipad-3/
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:42 AM   #9
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
There was once a time when the exact opposite of this was the reason why Apple was successful....
While it is true Apple used to focus on the pro market, I would hardly call them "successful" during this time frame... Especially compared to now.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:50 AM   #10
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromonkey83 View Post
While it is true Apple used to focus on the pro market, I would hardly call them "successful" during this time frame... Especially compared to now.
I meant they were successful in attracting the 'pro' market, especially in the design / print media industries.

But yes the consumer market has certainly been a stock price riser, sadly however to the detriment of the 'professional' users in many cases. *macpro etc..*

I mean seriously have we had any real innovations in professional software from Apple in the last few years ? Apple really needs to put the 'macintosh' back into focus rather than focusing squarely on being a 'me too' electronics company that they seem to have adopted lately.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:04 AM   #11
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
If you own a mini and want a pro version to mimic a laptop then you've just told yourself you don't need a mini and need a laptop.

FrozenDarkness like others have said, Apple used to actually give two ***** about the pro user. I'm not certain their success is fully attributed to pissing on the pro user so simple consumers can have pretty machines.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:44 AM   #12
Tutone
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Ipad 4 is a lot closer to a pro version than a mini.
Tutone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:22 AM   #13
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
There is no reason why an iPad can't appeal to both consumers and pros....apps! Many businesses have already adopted iPads as a tool for them, do what's the fuss about? The OP is just another person who wants files access etc. It is not necessary. An iPad is an iPad, not a Mac. In fact, in many ways it is better than a Mac. To the poster who said it was little more than a large iPod Touch - it runs iPad apps - the iPod Touch does not! This is the difference.
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:30 AM   #14
Corax
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Willemstad - Curaçao
Send a message via MSN to Corax
I wouldn't need one or buy one. But I like the idea of an 12" or 13" iPad Pro.
Add the following on your feature list: expandable storage/memory, through a SD-slot for example.
I think there will be a market for it.
__________________
 15" Retina MacBook Pro Quad core 2,3 GHz i7
 iPad Mini 16 GB Cellular
 Mac Mini C2D 2GHz (early 2009) 4GB RAM 240GB SSD
Corax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:40 AM   #15
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
The "Pro" I'd Like

iPad Mini "Pro"
  • Big RAM (maybe 2GB+) so that multitasking has plenty of memory to work really well. Pinching RAM but offering multitasking is a miserable conflict to shave very little off of the unit cost.
  • A SD-type slot, so that those of us that would like more than 64GB could add whatever amount of "more" we desire. I own the 64GB and I strain to keep about 7GB free. I would love to stick in another 64GB for $30-$65 more or maybe 128GB for $95+. Then Apple could keep clinging to 16, 32, 64 and let those of us who desire a little more have our cake too.
  • Newer gen processor (though I think the existing one is quite good)
  • Retina (though I think the existing screen is quite good)

There are many features in iOS that could be better but I'll quit with that short list of hardware advances. Personally, I'd pay a pretty good premium over current pricing for just those 3-4 additions (I'd be quite happy with just the first two).
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:42 AM   #16
Zcott
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Belfast, Ireland
File system? Not a chance.
Zcott is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:54 PM   #17
laser310
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
sounds like the Surface Pro...
laser310 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:38 PM   #18
RenoG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
How about we just let the ipad be an ipad, its perfect for what its designed for. Whats so wrong with laptops nowadays that folks want it also in a tablet form? Portablilty you say, c'mon is it that serious..I mean really??
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:44 PM   #19
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000
 
aPple nErd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I currently own an iPad Mini. However, I wish Apple comes out with a Pro version of the iPad/iPad Mini.

What's the pro version? Something that's more of a laptop/desktop replacement use for content creation. The current iPad isn't much different than a big iPod Touch. I mostly use the iPad for media consumption.

Here are some features I would like in the first Pro version:

1. A more advance version of iOS with multi-view and multi-tasking. Instead of switching from one app to another, you can have 2 apps open at the same time allowing you to move images, text, or whatever from one app to another.
2. Support for a pressure sensitive stylus for drawing, taking notes, and work related.
3. Better access to files on internal storage, external drives, or cloud services.
4. Must have a retina screen for a Pro version.
I have a suspicios felling you heard about the surface pro....
__________________
iPhone 5 White/Silver, iPad Mini Space Gray, iPod Tough 5 Blue, iPad 3 White, iPod Touch 4 White -- All Jailbroken
iMac Mid 2011 21.5"
aPple nErd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:23 PM   #20
hyteckit
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
I have a suspicios felling you heard about the surface pro....
5 hour battery life.
Can't run iOS apps.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser310 View Post
sounds like the Surface Pro...
Does it run iOS apps?
Can I get 10 hour battery life from it?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
How about we just let the ipad be an ipad, its perfect for what its designed for. Whats so wrong with laptops nowadays that folks want it also in a tablet form? Portablilty you say, c'mon is it that serious..I mean really??
Can a laptop get 10 hour battery life?
Does the laptop weight under 3lb?
Does the laptop support touch and pressure sensitive stylus?
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:01 PM   #21
RenoG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Can a laptop get 10 hour battery life?
Does the laptop weight under 3lb?
Does the laptop support touch and pressure sensitive stylus?
of course no, no and no..However:


1) not a deal breaker as its not expected although it would be welcomed.
2) todays modern laptops are fine unless you have some dissability of sorts
3) Its a laptop most consumers can careless either way

a laptop is laptop and tablet is tablet. Two different devices for two different purposes.
RenoG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:07 PM   #22
hyteckit
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
of course no, no and no..However:


1) not a deal breaker as its not expected although it would be really nice.
2) doesn't need to unless you have a dissability of sorts
3) Its a laptop most consumers can careless either way

a laptop is laptop and tablet is tablet. Two different devices for two different purposes.
Adding features to a tablet doesn't make it no longer a tablet

Adding a camera to a laptop, and it's still a laptop.

Are you saying the macbook air that weighs less than 3 lbs are made for disabled people?
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:08 PM   #23
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
i would fully attribute apples run of success 95% to the consumer. The main reason to me is that consumers have a shorter upgrade cycle than businesses. Look at some companies, still running on Windows XP. Apple would not be where they are today if people still held onto their iphone 3Gs in droves.
FrozenDarkness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:10 PM   #24
Zarkizon
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
The way I look at it is that the iPad is the "pro" model with the better specs, and the iPad mini is the everyday consumer model.

I don't really care for the tech specs at this point, because there's no software that actually utilizes their entire potential. For example, I would love it if there was a real, full version of Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro on the iPad, but all there is is watered down versions.
__________________
Apple Feedback
Zarkizon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:16 PM   #25
hyteckit
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkizon View Post
The way I look at it is that the iPad is the "pro" model with the better specs, and the iPad mini is the everyday consumer model.

I don't really care for the tech specs at this point, because there's no software that actually utilizes their entire potential. For example, I would love it if there was a real, full version of Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro on the iPad, but all there is is watered down versions.
It's more like:

MacBook 13"
MacBook Pro 13"
MacBook Pro 15"

13" being the iPad Mini equivalent.

The iPad Pro isn't meant to totally replace a laptop, so a full version of photoshop isn't needed.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Ipad air, Ipad mini retina and Ipad mini space grey photo thread gadget123 iPad 0 Nov 1, 2013 05:44 PM
A7X-Based iPad and iPad Mini Expected to Launch in 4Q 2013, Lower-Cost A6 iPad Mini to Follow in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 178 Oct 11, 2013 07:52 AM
MacRumors Roundups: iPad 5, iPad Mini 2, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and More MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 78 Sep 30, 2013 11:44 PM
iPad: Anyone have an iPad Mini version of this? baileya1c UI Customization 2 Jun 22, 2013 06:29 PM
All iPads: Tip for Canadians who pre ordered cellular version of iPad 4 or iPad mini chrismarle iPad 23 Nov 18, 2012 01:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC