Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:59 AM   #1
iSomebody
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Lightbulb MacBook Air and iPad hybrid! iOS and Mac OS X on one device? YES!

Imagine a device similar in look to MacBook Air 11" with touch screen. That device would run both - Mac OS X and iOS (you choose which system to boot, and if you are already on OS X for example, you can press one button to switch to iOS in a matter of seconds) . Of course cellular, 3 usb ports, high battery life and retina display.

If you choose to run OS X you can use touchpad/mouse + keyboard. If you choose to run iOS, you can also use the touchscreen. What do you think?

Would you buy it? I definitely would!

Apple should make a device like that!

I don't want to carry 2 devices (Air + iPad). iPad is not a true computer, it is very limited, however very convenient. MB Air needs iOS/iPad functions and apps - creating such a device would be a perfect solution. I prefer to take one device which works like an iPad + Air.

Last edited by iSomebody; Jan 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
iSomebody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020
 
Kebabselector's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSomebody View Post
Apple should make a device like that!
Maybe they'll sit back and watch the success that Acer and HP are having with their devices.
__________________
Mac Mini 1.66Ghz/2gb - 2.3/i5/8gb - MacBook 2.0Ghz/2gb
iPhone 6 64gb - iPad Mini Retina 16gb wifi
Others: Canon Eos Stuff - Passat B6 - Smeg - Firewire devices - Prefers Matte
Kebabselector is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:18 AM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
You mean an updated, slimmed down, tablet PC? Yeah, that's already happening but not so much yet for Apple. When Apple does it people will **** themselves and call it revolutionary and magical!
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:13 AM   #4
iSomebody
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Well, I mean an Air (with keyboard and touchscreen) with OS X and iOS (OS X able to run iPad apps or just 2 separate operating systems, whatever).
iSomebody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:43 AM   #5
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
If Apple went down the route they would likely just offer a MBA touch based on ARM and running IOS7 only.

Release it at 64GB for $799 so it sits between the 128gb ipad and the stock MBA.


We have heard rumours of Apple releasing the MBA with a radical new chip.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:08 AM   #6
bandrews
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
If OSX was touch optimised, them maybe yes. But it isn't, so no.
Win 8 is a disjointed cluster ******* of an OS. If apple learns anything from MS it should be how not to do a hybrid OS.
__________________
Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful. William Morris
bandrews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:14 AM   #7
iSomebody
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Is there any chance a device like that would be released? What are your thoughts on it?
iSomebody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:24 AM   #8
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
The only practical "touch" implementation for OS X would be digital pen support for artistry and writing. Aside from that, normal capacitive touch would be even worse then it was in Windows 7. Too many of OS X visual assets are too small to reliably hit with a finger touch.
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:27 AM   #9
Marjamrob1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ Bottom View Post
The only practical "touch" implementation for OS X would be digital pen support for artistry and writing. Aside from that, normal capacitive touch would be even worse then it was in Windows 7. Too many of OS X visual assets are too small to reliably hit with a finger touch.
I disagree, I think they could sell it with a stylus, and it would work just fine.
Marjamrob1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:30 AM   #10
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
You mean an updated, slimmed down, tablet PC? Yeah, that's already happening but not so much yet for Apple. When Apple does it people will **** themselves and call it revolutionary and magical!
Cheer up

Only reason people say that is that Apple will do it right.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:34 AM   #11
iSomebody
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSomebody View Post
If you choose to run OS X you can use touchpad/mouse + keyboard. If you choose to run iOS, you can also use the touchscreen.
What do you think about such solution?
iSomebody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:35 AM   #12
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ Bottom View Post
The only practical "touch" implementation for OS X would be digital pen support for artistry and writing. Aside from that, normal capacitive touch would be even worse then it was in Windows 7. Too many of OS X visual assets are too small to reliably hit with a finger touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjamrob1 View Post
I disagree, I think they could sell it with a stylus, and it would work just fine.
You disagree and yet a stylus is a digital pen
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:37 AM   #13
hismikeness
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ Bottom View Post
The only practical "touch" implementation for OS X would be digital pen support for artistry and writing. Aside from that, normal capacitive touch would be even worse then it was in Windows 7. Too many of OS X visual assets are too small to reliably hit with a finger touch.
I disagree as well, because I'm an accurate pointer and hit small links on my iPad all the time. But I also hold it quite differently than I would an Air. In this theoretical product, does the screen detach when in iOS? Seems the magnets could help quickly attach or detach the iPad/screen to a keyboard base.
__________________
32gb iPhone 5, 64gb White iPad 3 - WiFi, 32gb White iPad Mini - WiFi, MacMini (2012)
hismikeness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:45 AM   #14
iSomebody
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hismikeness View Post
I disagree as well, because I'm an accurate pointer and hit small links on my iPad all the time. But I also hold it quite differently than I would an Air. In this theoretical product, does the screen detach when in iOS? Seems the magnets could help quickly attach or detach the iPad/screen to a keyboard base.
I was thinking about something like sliding the screen on the keyboard, so the screen is on the top of the keyboard and the keyboard is hidden (it would look almost like an iPad then). So no detach option.
iSomebody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:47 AM   #15
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSomebody View Post
I was thinking about something like sliding the screen on the keyboard, so the screen is on the top of the keyboard and the keyboard is hidden (it would look almost like an iPad then). So no detach option.
To have a decent keyboard it would be considerably thicker.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:49 AM   #16
iSomebody
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
To have a decent keyboard it would be considerably thicker.
I think it would be about twice as thick as the iPad mini, which would still be nice. About as thick as the air anyway. I don't mind a few milimeters more in thickness if it improves the quality of the product and battery life.
iSomebody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:34 PM   #17
Marjamrob1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSomebody View Post
I think it would be about twice as thick as the iPad mini, which would still be nice. About as thick as the air anyway. I don't mind a few milimeters more in thickness if it improves the quality of the product and battery life.
Also thicker usually means more durable
Marjamrob1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook Air/Ipad Pro Hybrid? Eric5273 MacBook Air 2 Feb 8, 2014 02:03 PM
[iOS & Mac App Store] Transloader 2.0 downloads URLs from your iOS device to your Mac m.gansrigler iPad Apps 0 Jan 24, 2014 08:34 AM
[iOS & Mac App Store] Transloader 2.0 downloads URLs from your iOS device to your Mac m.gansrigler iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Jan 24, 2014 08:33 AM
[Mac & iOS App Store] Transloader 2.0 downloads URLs from your iOS device to your Mac m.gansrigler Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jan 24, 2014 08:29 AM
iPad: new ipad air today, but man wasn't the ipad 2 a great device! tivoboy iPad 20 Nov 1, 2013 07:37 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC