Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:54 PM   #1
beatledud
macrumors regular

Sorting TV Shows on Apple TV

So I'm making the great migration of my TV show library into iTunes and thus available on my Apple TV 3.

Well I've discovered just now what many have already known. The stupid way Apple sorts shows by season only, ie Big Bang Season 1, Big Bang Season 2, then Dexter Season 1, Dexter Season 2, Fire Fly Season 1, etc. This seems idiotic rather than sorting by TV Show and then seasons within that.

Any solutions to this? I read in this thread about making Playlist Folders for each TV Show and then Smart Playlists inside for each season. This is a great idea but then how do you find the playlists on the Apple TV? The thread didn't explain how to do this.

Any other ideas?
beatledud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:28 AM   #2
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatledud View Post
So I'm making the great migration of my TV show library into iTunes and thus available on my Apple TV 3.

Well I've discovered just now what many have already known. The stupid way Apple sorts shows by season only, ie Big Bang Season 1, Big Bang Season 2, then Dexter Season 1, Dexter Season 2, Fire Fly Season 1, etc. This seems idiotic rather than sorting by TV Show and then seasons within that.

Any solutions to this? I read in this thread about making Playlist Folders for each TV Show and then Smart Playlists inside for each season. This is a great idea but then how do you find the playlists on the Apple TV? The thread didn't explain how to do this.

Any other ideas?
I am not in front of mine right now, but I think you go into Settings->Audi0/Video->Playlists and set to "All" instead of "Music".

Currently there is no way to fix the lack of folders though in the Apple TV software. It is RIDICULOUS! One of my biggest complaints, especially since the Apple TV 1 had this feature.
zedsdead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:03 AM   #3
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
I am not in front of mine right now, but I think you go into Settings->Audi0/Video->Playlists and set to "All" instead of "Music".

Currently there is no way to fix the lack of folders though in the Apple TV software. It is RIDICULOUS! One of my biggest complaints, especially since the Apple TV 1 had this feature.
^ that sounds right. I have all of my TV shows grouped that way, means an extra menu click or two but it makes navigating the TV shows much easier. I also have a playlist for new , unwatched episodes, so that is a one stop list for all new stuff.

I do the same thing with movies to group series and actors.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:10 AM   #4
beatledud
macrumors regular

Do these new playlists show up in the Movies and TV Show section or the Music section?
beatledud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:13 AM   #5
SandboxGeneral

I agree it's frustrating and I wish Apple would provide a solution to this for us. The best way for us to do anything about it is to tell apple about it.

Apple Feedback/Apple TV
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:05 AM   #6
dvdlovr24
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatledud View Post
Do these new playlists show up in the Movies and TV Show section or the Music section?
They will show under either tv shows or movies depending on what you are watching.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater