Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Some have said the google maps are more advanced on the iphone IOS 6 verison..is that the case? guessing Android verison still do turn by turn?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The Android version would win for features but I prefer the iOS app interface.

Ehhh, I prefer the android version in both aspects. I used the iOS version extensively and i find that the android version looks more constant with the rest of the OS and it also has much more functionality. Its also much smoother on android than on iOS.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I used to prefer the iOS version, but I gave it another try on Android just at first and it is now on par in terms of smoothness/fluidity. It must have been updated recently.

Now that the smoothness is moot, I prefer Android just because of the extra features, such as more layers.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The iOS version of Google Maps is a massive cluster****. The UI looks cooler but actually using it is a nightmare. For example, I put a location in for directions, hit enter, and it only gives me an option to preview, and from there I have to scroll through every step of the journey manually. Android's version is far better and the navigation is far less confusing.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Android wins for one simple feature. Street view with Photosphere images now! Layers and voice options is just gravy. :D

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
The iOS version of Google Maps is a massive cluster****. The UI looks cooler but actually using it is a nightmare. For example, I put a location in for directions, hit enter, and it only gives me an option to preview, and from there I have to scroll through every step of the journey manually. Android's version is far better and the navigation is far less confusing.

You must have an older or different version from me because the one on my iPhone 5 works almost identical to the Android version and not at all like you describe.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
You must have an older or different version from me because the one on my iPhone 5 works almost identical to the Android version and not at all like you describe.

I have the latest version. In fact I don't think they've even updated it once since I first installed it months ago anyway.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I haven't used google maps much on android yet but on iOS it sucks...

Not sure if this is true but it seems like google maps gets second rate access to the location and data services compares to apple maps, this makes navigation in anywhere without strong 3G or wifi a nightmare to use.

If I take a wrong turn on a route anywhere around where I live (Hampshire/Wiltshire) It becomes unusable as it can't reroute me.
Also can't seem to show consistent maps/animation during navigation, which apple does quite well at.

Apple maps is quite a lot better in this aspect.

As for the interface I like both, can't actually decide which I prefer as an app if they worked equally well, but with the issues apple maps wins outright.

Just got a data sim for my nexus 7 so I'll be trying out maps sometime soon to see what it's like on android, fingers crossed!

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Google Maps on Android actually has 2 icons. One takes you to the regular overhead map. The second icon is called Navigation and takes you to a turn-by-turn view. I use this most of all as I have the traffic view turned on when I drive. That way, I can see ahead where there may be traffic tie-ups and can reroute. You do not need to specify a destination to use the navigation view. It looks like turn-by-turn without a route and without directions.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I don't get any of this. It's very very similar to Apple maps. Type destination, click the little car icon at the bottom, select your 1 of 3 routes then press start. Basic and normal turn by turn directions.

I prefer Apple maps because its integrated in the OS better.

Overall I prefer navigation on Android for its features.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
yeah, in the last update, Google maps on Android is equal to iOS. I always thought it was a bit prettier on the iPhone, but now can't really tell the difference.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
guessing turn by turn is still pretty shape on android?

Not sure what you mean by pretty shape but it works great! I suggest going to a Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, or AT&T store and playing with a flagship Android device like the Nexus 4 or Note 2 to check it out. S3 is fine too but I prefer the Note 2 for better specs = greater overall smoothness.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not sure what you mean by pretty shape but it works great! I suggest going to a Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, or AT&T store and playing with a flagship Android device like the Nexus 4 or Note 2 to check it out. S3 is fine too but I prefer the Note 2 for better specs = greater overall smoothness.

Meant sharpe, damn auto correct.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
What's Google maps like on Galaxy S3/Android phones compared to iPhone?

iOS version is smoother but doesn't have as many features. It's not integrated with the OS.

iOS5 running the old Google Maps? (Although I don't think even that was as bad as you described)

Google Maps on mine lets you see a list of all directions and you can swipe left and right to switch between different routes. There's then a navigation button you can press to start turn by turn on any of the routes.

I can only presume you have an old version or a version not made by Google!

Edit: I just realised what you're doing :p instead of pressing "preview", drag that bottom bar upwards to reveal the entire direction list and navigation button.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Edit: I just realised what you're doing :p instead of pressing "preview", drag that bottom bar upwards to reveal the entire direction list and navigation button.

Well that's a terrible UI, how the hell is anyone meant to work that one out? Thanks though, at least I can actually use the thing properly now.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Well that's a terrible UI, how the hell is anyone meant to work that one out? Thanks though, at least I can actually use the thing properly now.

I can't remember how I worked it out, I think it was probably because it's not that dissimilar to the notification bar, although a visual hint would be a good idea!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
iOS version is smoother but doesn't have as many features. It's not integrated with the OS.

Actually I disagree. Well, if you mean "smoother" by interface then maybe. But I actually compared the new Google Maps on iPhone 5 with Google Maps on the Note 2 and the swiping/scrolling lagged a little on iOS whereas it was totally smooth on the Note 2. Same went for zooming in or out with double tap/two finger tap and pressing the locate me button. Also, "Maps" for iOS 5 and prior did NOT lag whereas the new app from Google does a little even on the iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.