Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1
nickeedoo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: At work
Upgrade Mac OS from Desktop

Hello, MacRumor(ers?) This is my first post here and I just have a quick question. My DVD burner on my Macbook Pro 15 is not working correctly, and I just want to know if it's possible to upgrade my Mac from 10.7.5 to 10.8.x just from the InstallESD.dmg file. Or do I have to actually go out and buy a flash drive? (I've been googling, but can't find a straight answer yet) If I can just upgrade from my desktop, that'd be sweet.

I'm new to Macs, but expect to dive deep into this fantastic land. So far, I'm liking it a lot!

If I can do the upgrade with just a disc image and without a DVD or flash drive, please do let me know. Thanks a lot!
nickeedoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:18 AM   #2
xShane
macrumors 6502a
 
xShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeedoo View Post
Hello, MacRumor(ers?) This is my first post here and I just have a quick question. My DVD burner on my Macbook Pro 15 is not working correctly, and I just want to know if it's possible to upgrade my Mac from 10.7.5 to 10.8.x just from the InstallESD.dmg file. Or do I have to actually go out and buy a flash drive? (I've been googling, but can't find a straight answer yet) If I can just upgrade from my desktop, that'd be sweet.

I'm new to Macs, but expect to dive deep into this fantastic land. So far, I'm liking it a lot!

If I can do the upgrade with just a disc image and without a DVD or flash drive, please do let me know. Thanks a lot!
Hey. First of all, welcome to the MacRumors forums

According to the App Store, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3) requires OS X 10.6.8 or later. You should be able to purchase the update in the App Store and it will download and install automatically.
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6, 8GB, 750GB, 1GB VRAM
24" Asus display


"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:27 AM   #3
nickeedoo
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: At work
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
Hey. First of all, welcome to the MacRumors forums

According to the App Store, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3) requires OS X 10.6.8 or later. You should be able to purchase the update in the App Store and it will download and install automatically.
Thanks Shane! Well my buddy already got the download for his mac from the app store, and he gave me the image file, trying to be nice and save me a few bucks. Can I not use his?

Edit: Woah, I thought the upgrade was going to be like 60$! Just bought the upgrade for myself since it's only 20$. Thanks anyway!

FWIW: You can just run the .dmg.

And a mod can close this thread. :P

Last edited by nickeedoo; Jan 30, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
nickeedoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:37 PM   #4
xShane
macrumors 6502a
 
xShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeedoo View Post
Thanks Shane! Well my buddy already got the download for his mac from the app store, and he gave me the image file, trying to be nice and save me a few bucks. Can I not use his?

Edit: Woah, I thought the upgrade was going to be like 60$! Just bought the upgrade for myself since it's only 20$. Thanks anyway!

FWIW: You can just run the .dmg.

And a mod can close this thread. :P
You're welcome

I'm almost absolutely sure that the upgrade is in some way protected to only work for one computer (or Apple ID).
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6, 8GB, 750GB, 1GB VRAM
24" Asus display


"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to upgrade Parallels desktop 3.0? Marty62 Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 4 Mar 2, 2014 04:46 PM
forgot to backup desktop folders before upgrade 187soldier OS X Mavericks (10.9) 2 Nov 7, 2013 07:21 AM
Missing out on the clean desktop after ML upgrade? askthedust OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 6 Jul 26, 2012 08:50 AM
Upgrade a G4 Desktop or trade towards 2007 MacBook? electrodyne PowerPC Macs 11 Jun 5, 2012 06:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC