Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMHmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hey guys,

First of all I'd like to apologise if this sounds completely obnoxious and mods feel free to trash this thread if so.

I would just like to ask if someone would be so kind as to make a step by step guide of what to do before the Jailbreak hits (presumably on Sunday). The reason I ask is that I am very confused. I have looked through all the latest threads and done some research on blobs and SHSH however I'm still really unsure.

I am on 6.0.2 and updated OTA like may others and don't want to try anything yet incase I mess up my phone or accidentally delete all my data.

Thank you so much in advance if someone could do this, not just for me but for the many others that will browse this thread as well.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
Hey guys,

First of all I'd like to apologise if this sounds completely obnoxious and mods feel free to trash this thread if so.

I would just like to ask if someone would be so kind as to make a step by step guide of what to do before the Jailbreak hits (presumably on Sunday). The reason I ask is that I am very confused. I have looked through all the latest threads and done some research on blobs and SHSH however I'm still really unsure.

I am on 6.0.2 and updated OTA like may others and don't want to try anything yet incase I mess up my phone or accidentally delete all my data.

Thank you so much in advance if someone could do this, not just for me but for the many others that will browse this thread as well.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/01/28/how-to-prepare-for-the-ios-6-1-untethered-jailbreak/

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Actually I'd like some form of video reintroducing me to this again. I've forgotten alot of stuff since 3G and most of it is new. I wanna know a little about:

1. What packages will you essentially need in Cydia?
2. Is there anything I should know about , anything new since the JB 3G ?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Hey guys,

The short answer:
Restore your iPhone through iTunes so that you can save your SHSH properly, when over the air (OTA) the SHSH blobs are not the same and might be useless, so you need to restore on top of your OTA updated iPhone for apps like redsn0w or tinyumbrella to save your proper blobs. Applejuice has a thread on the first page of the jailbreak section explaining how to save it. Which is basically after restore just download tinyumbrella (latest version) and save the blob for 6.1 . If you mess up don't worry because the jb will support 6.1 which is the latest official apple release firmware for all devices that support it.

GtotheK

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2009
Hi complete noob here to jailbreaking, and from what i've read, looks like a good time to give it a go. Just some questions:

1) By "restore" do you mean upgrade to the new iOS 6.1 released today? I have an iPhone 4 currently on 6.0.1 (10A523)

2) What's with all the excitement? There truly hasn't been a jailbreak in years? I don't get the hype after reading the idownloadblog article.

3) tinyumbrella and redsn0w, are they just different ways to jailbreak?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Hi complete noob here to jailbreaking, and from what i've read, looks like a good time to give it a go. Just some questions:

1) By "restore" do you mean upgrade to the new iOS 6.1 released today? I have an iPhone 4 currently on 6.0.1 (10A523)

2) What's with all the excitement? There truly hasn't been a jailbreak in years? I don't get the hype after reading the idownloadblog article.

3) tinyumbrella and redsn0w, are they just different ways to jailbreak?

read some more:

1 Yes
2 IP5/iPad4 and mine have no jailbreak possibilty so this is a first for those devices.
3 No, redsn0w is for jailbreaking and saving SHSH's, TU only for saving SHSH's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.