Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Hands-On Impressions of Apple's New iPad

Engadget and Gizmodo have both posted early hands-on impressions of Apple's new iPad tablet, having had the chance to play with the device after today's media event in San Francisco.

Both reviews rave about the iPad's speed, calling it "blazingly fast" with no lagging at any point. Responsiveness of the system and applications, as well as loading of web pages, is seen as excellent by those who have handled the device. The 1024 x 768 screen is also well-regarded in both reviews, described as "stunning" with the ability to show small text "crisply".

Reports on the feel of the device are mixed, however, with Engadget calling it "not light" and "pretty weighty" and Gizmodo calling it "substantial but surprisingly light". Notable drawbacks experienced in the few minutes of testing include the lack of Flash, multitasking, and camera. Also noted is the lack of "razor sharp" graphics for scaled up iPhone applications, although it seems to be a decent solution to allow Apple to offer immediate full-screen compatibility for existing iPhone applications.

iLounge is in the early stages of putting together an extensive "first look" feature, but has already shared pricing for a number of accessories, including the basic dock ($29), keyboard dock ($69), and case/stand ($39). They also note that while the iPad was fast, there was a bit of bugginess in their time with the device.

From a gaming perspective, Joystiq similarly notes that the iPhone games "are scaled up and look like it", although the iPad does seem to allow for greater accelerometer sensitivity for iPhone games and also allows less of the screen to be obscured by the user's thumbs while gaming. Of particular note, Apple is planning to feature iPad games in a separate section of the App Store, leading to questions about whether users with both an iPad and iPhone/iPod touch will have to purchase two separate applications or whether developers will be able to find a way to "bundle" versions together for the two device sizes. In the absence of such a program, Joystiq wonders whether iPad users will opt to spend the money for the dedicated apps when their iPhone apps will be playable on the device.
Rating (1 Positives; 0 Negatives)

Article Link: Hands-On Impressions of Apple's New iPad

Last edited by arn; Jan 27, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:16 PM   #2
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Credit card at the ready.

As always, reality is a letdown after extreme baseless hype & hope.
Giant iPod Touch with 3G support - not more, but that's still a win to me.
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Doctor Q
Administrator

When you rotate the iPad it appears to rotate the display with about the same reaction time as an iPhone. I wonder if that's as fast as the accelerometer works or if the software purposely introduces a delay so it won't rotate the display when you've made only a momentary turn.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:18 PM   #4
shaunb83
macrumors member

Lack of multitasking is a real pain. Hopefully this will get fixed in a software update soon. Lack of a camera is worse, and will likely make me hold off. Maybe..... I really want something that I can use without wanting to pull out my laptop - if I'm on skype, I want a camera. Which will make me want to drag my laptop out, which defeats the purpose of having this product in my mind at the moment. Maybe a docking peripheral?? But not really adequate.
shaunb83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Dr.Pants
macrumors 65816

:P does it use the Pixel Qi screen?

Something I've been hoping for, despite my disappointment with today's event. I certainly enjoy their innovation.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:19 PM   #6
thaprofessor33
macrumors member

No flash and front facing camera is a let down. I could see some video meetings going on with a front facing camera. It seems large enough to add one considering they have one in the iPhone. I guess they can't give us everything now.
thaprofessor33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Gleemen
macrumors regular

I was hoping I could put Photoshop on it...

*hoping for a Adobe App*
Gleemen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:20 PM   #8
RQPS
macrumors regular

This might be a stupid question but what is the button above the volume control where vibrate on/off would be on an iphone?
RQPS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:20 PM   #9
Reed Rothchild
macrumors 6502

Will look forward to the 3rd or 4th revision. In the meantime - thanks but no thanks.
Reed Rothchild is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:20 PM   #10
toke lahti
macrumors 65816

Why they didn't make it with 16:9 (or 16:10) aspect ratio?
toke lahti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:21 PM   #11
mikem7522
macrumors member

The fact that it's shipping in 60 days is such a tease.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:21 PM   #12
*LTD*
Banned

Game-changer. Period. End of story.

Developers will cream themselves over this. Apps will be much more powerful, intuitive, and capable.

It's missing a couple of things. Like every hit Apple product. Butt that's not what sells it. It's the overall experience.

We're looking at the future here. It's getting rave reviews from the industry. And the price is right, and not only that, these will be even cheaper in due course, a la iPhone.

Tablet-makers, start your photocopiers. Apple just hit another one out of the park.
*LTD* is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:21 PM   #13
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Pants View Post
:P does it use the Pixel Qi screen?
no, it doesn't.

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:21 PM   #14
jbuck777
macrumors member

looks good

When i first opened macrumors today, I was kind of horrified at what i saw. This thing at first look is very unimpressive...looks like a blown up ipod touch.
didnt like it at all.

I wanted a full Snow Leopard tablet. With a screen that wasnt surrounded by a bezel the size of a small child.

But the more UI i watch, the more im impressed at what they did with the mobile OS. Its very intuitive, the multi-touch is amazing on such a large screened device.

whether i'll buy one...i dont know. might depend on Canadian pricing with Rogers, as well as a hands on experience at one of the local Apple stores.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:21 PM   #15
Killerbob
macrumors 6502a

I was looking forward to this, but am so disappointed - no camera, and no thrills you do not get from an iPhone. This will NOT make it!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:22 PM   #16
Mr Skills
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
. Of particular note, Apple is planning to feature iPad games in a separate section of the App Store, leading to questions about whether users with both an iPad and iPhone/iPod touch will have to purchase two separate applications or whether developers will be able to find a way to "bundle" versions together for the two device sizes. In the absence of such a program, Joystiq wonders whether iPad users will opt to spend the money for the dedicated apps when their iPhone apps will be playable on the device.
From Apple's SDK Page: "Developers can now start planning for universal applications, allowing them to take full advantage of the technologies found on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch with a single binary."
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:23 PM   #17
ipoppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaprofessor33 View Post
No flash and front facing camera is a let down. I could see some video meetings going on with a front facing camera. It seems large enough to add one considering they have one in the iPhone. I guess they can't give us everything now.
I see what apple is up to now. No front camera in next generation iPhone.
Disappointing really.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:24 PM   #18
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuck777 View Post
When i first opened macrumors today, I was kind of horrified at what i saw. This thing at first look is very unimpressive...looks like a blown up ipod touch.
didnt like it at all.

I wanted a full Snow Leopard tablet. With a screen that wasnt surrounded by a bezel the size of a small child.

But the more UI i watch, the more im impressed at what they did with the mobile OS. Its very intuitive, the multi-touch is amazing on such a large screened device.

whether i'll buy one...i dont know. might depend on Canadian pricing with Rogers, as well as a hands on experience at one of the local Apple stores.
I felt the same way. But Apple gets you on the *total* experience. How everything is brought together.

It's genius. Apple took the iPod Touch paradigm and expanded it to encompass a total computing experience (minus only a couple of things.)

Genius.
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:24 PM   #19
MysterMac
macrumors member

i wonder if the chip is called A4 because it works on a 4:3 device the size of an A4 sheet of paper ?
Maybe they should have called the iPad the iFoolscap
MysterMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:24 PM   #20
MXChristian11
macrumors 6502

I can't wait. It's not AS impressive as what I would like, but still very nice and shiny 64GB, 3G here i come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RQPS View Post
This might be a stupid question but what is the button above the volume control where vibrate on/off would be on an iphone?
It is a mute button to quickly silence any audio.
MXChristian11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:24 PM   #21
PecanEater
macrumors 6502

Disappointing. This is a mega-iPod touch without the camera. Apple's eBook reader. There's certainly nothing revolutionary about making an iPod touch with a bigger screen.
PecanEater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:24 PM   #22
Dr.Pants
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
no, it doesn't.

arn
Thanks. I suspected that was the case.

On the other hand it makes some sense as its less an e-reader and more iPhone on steroids plus some.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:24 PM   #23
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Notable drawbacks experienced in the few minutes of testing include the lack of Flash, multitasking, and camera.
The lack of Flash alone is enough to make me interested!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:26 PM   #24
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
The lack of Flash alone is enough to make me interested!
That's . . . refreshing!

Wow.
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:27 PM   #25
cablefun
macrumors newbie

What is a microSIM? is it just a sim card or something different? is it the same as the ones we use in the uk?
cablefun is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion