Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:56 AM   #251
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

The industry needs to drop the 16, and go with the 32/64/128 as standard. Stop ripping us off
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:56 AM   #252
putongnihongo
macrumors member

I WANT!!!!!! No...I NEED!!!!!
putongnihongo is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:58 AM   #253
rMBP15
Banned

This would help to improve Apple's margin. I'd love to pick one up for the iPad 5!
rMBP15 is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:59 AM   #254
newyorksole
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy_doofy View Post
You know, Apple is known to occasionally add to the line up (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008...ch-Models.html). ← They've done it before. See?
And hopefully new devices come with 32GB minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
I love how everyone begs for ANYTHING 126GB and then when it is released, there is nothing but complaining
Maybe the people who wanted it aren't the ones complaining.
newyorksole is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:00 AM   #255
lazard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
The industry needs to drop the 16, and go with the 32/64/128 as standard. Stop ripping us off
you make it sound like Apple just started ripping off their customers.
lazard is offline   2
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:06 AM   #256
4kk2kk
macrumors newbie

$1000 for what? An iPad

Yeah, I do not think most people will buy this. I would rather buy a laptop instead, now Apple is not smart and very bad at business, and really showing "HOW HUNGARY THEY ARE"!

This shows me that they are desperate, and that is not good. Instead of having smart, methodical releases, they are jumping the gun and doing whatever.

So sad I would have bought one too and i am sure so many would have.

BUT THAT IS JUST TO MUCH MONEY FOR A TABLET!

I will skip it and I have never even had one yet! Will wait till price goes down. I am smart and methodic like apple should be. I am the ultimate hit man and only buy when right. I shoot sheep-- I am a sheep hit man.. but never a sheep.

Bye kiddies. Oh, and be smart this time around. If no one buys the price will go down, guaranteed! If you do buy then you are part of the price problem.

Peace
4kk2kk is offline   5
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:10 AM   #257
mac&cheesey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kk2kk View Post
I shoot sheep-- I am a sheep hit man.. but never a sheep.
Fantastic!
mac&cheesey is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:13 AM   #258
nutjob
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
Apple can charge whatever they want. It's up to the consumer to vote with their wallet to tell Apple what is acceptable.
Thanks for stating the obvious. But wouldn't it be nice if Apple "innovated" by making something more accessible to buyers instead of even it more unaffordable? Apple's guiding principal is to push the market to the limit of what it will bear.

How Apple prices its flash memory is a joke. I can routinely pick up flash for 50c a GB and sometimes 33c a GB at retail. Apple uses flash storage as a "hostage" marketing tactic, enabled by its closed locked-down devices.

Apple's stock price reflects that there are only so many suckers in the market, and Apple will have to find an "innovation," other than gouging the customer, soon.
nutjob is offline   2
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:15 AM   #259
Ubele
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
I love how everyone begs for ANYTHING 126GB and then when it is released, there is nothing but complaining
There is a different group of complainers for every scenario. If Apple updates a product line only once a year, one group complains, pointing out that Android devices are updated every month or whatever. If Apple updates a product line twice a year, another group complains that "greedy Apple is milking customers," and that they no longer have the latest and greatest. If Apple had replaced the 16/32/64 GB iPad line-up with 32/64/128 and kept the price points the same, I have no doubt that some people would have complained, "That's still too expensive," others would have complained, "This is what Apple calls innovation now - upgrading the storage capacities to what they should have been on the iPad 2?," and others would have complained, "Android tablets still have better specs."

Of course, I've never complained about anything Apple has done.
Ubele is offline   4
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:15 AM   #260
Hakone
macrumors 6502

I wonder about the timing of this release. I figured if they released it during the Holiday shopping season, they'd get a lot more buyers than now.

Production issues? Did the cost of flash memory drop at the turn of the year? Perhaps they anticipate that some people will have a fat tax return? =P
Hakone is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:15 AM   #261
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
It's an option if you don't like it you don't buy it. It's that simple.
The Bulge is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:17 AM   #262
Dorje Sylas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kk2kk View Post
Yeah, I do not think most people will buy this. I would rather buy a laptop instead, now Apple is not smart and very bad at business, and really showing "HOW HUNGARY THEY ARE"!

This shows me that they are desperate, and that is not good. Instead of having smart, methodical releases, they are jumping the gun and doing whatever.

So sad I would have bought one too and i am sure so many would have.

BUT THAT IS JUST TO MUCH MONEY FOR A TABLET!

I will skip it and I have never even had one yet! Will wait till price goes down. I am smart and methodic like apple should be. I am the ultimate hit man and only buy when right. I shoot sheep-- I am a sheep hit man.. but never a sheep.

Bye kiddies. Oh, and be smart this time around. If no one buys the price will go down, guaranteed! If you do buy then you are part of the price problem.

Peace
Hardly desperation. You don't throw down another device into your chain with a extra 100 dollar price bump if your desperate. You do this when your flush and have the cushion to see if the real market will bite, not some focus groups or internal think tank.

Desperate would have been a price cut on all current models and the 128 GB 4th-gen being $699.

Still it's been far too long for Apple to keep the prices of Flash-Memory as high in there devices as its been. Especially as they are now soldiering them on the boards and making it non-upgradeable.
Dorje Sylas is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:18 AM   #263
deconstruct60
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
You don't need two separate chips to do this. Some of the blocks can be run in SLC mode whereas the rest would run in MLC mode, which would increase performance since programming a single bit is significantly faster than programming two. SanDisk does this with some of their SSDs, it's definitely doable in eMMC form factor as well.
Sandisk uses this for a relatively small amount of metadata and to offset need for RAM. RAM+Flash is far more equivalent to the performance level increases get with Fusion Drive than this set up.

There is marginal increase that comes as the cost of capacity. Unless packaging SLC and MLC dies into a single package is really a psudeo SLC mode and really just tossing capacity to store less data. More like the Flash equivalent of "short stroking" HDDs. Short stroking never was a performance game changer. It did far more to sell more drives than revolutionize performance.
deconstruct60 is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:21 AM   #264
LeoFio
macrumors regular

Profits

They had to do something in an attempt to increase their year to year profits at the next earnings report. The 128GB option is pure profit for them as I'm sure they're already making out well with the 64GB one.

The logical thing would have been to drop the lowest storage capacity and bump the whole line up, which is probably what they'll do for the next generation, but that wouldn't have helped their bottom line in the meantime.

People can let Apple know how they feel about this by voting with their wallets. I won't be recommending it to anyone.
LeoFio is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:23 AM   #265
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMa View Post
16GB iPad is pretty useless even for a none power user. 8GB iPod is similar too.
I have a 16GB iPad. I wouldn't exactly consider myself a power user, but I'm at the very top of the non-power users. I use my iPad pretty much every day, but I don't do a lot of actual "work" on it. I have tons of apps, some music, and some pictures. I've had 16GB for nearly 2 years (since iPad 2), and it has met me needs. Sure it is filled up and now I keep it right around 1GB free. At times it can be mildly restrictive (for some large 1GB games), but all around I made the right choice. I wouldn't want to pay the extra $100, because I really haven't needed it. Would I have used it? Sure, but it's mostly just fluff. With my iPhone 5 I decreased from 32GB (which was nearly filled to the brim) to 16GB and I haven't missed a thing.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:28 AM   #266
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstruct60 View Post
Sandisk uses this for a relatively small amount of metadata and to offset need for RAM. RAM+Flash is far more equivalent to the performance level increases get with Fusion Drive than this set up.

There is marginal increase that comes as the cost of capacity. Unless packaging SLC and MLC dies into a single package is really a psudeo SLC mode and really just tossing capacity to store less data. More like the Flash equivalent of "short stroking" HDDs. Short stroking never was a performance game changer. It did far more to sell more drives than revolutionize performance.
I didn't say it should be done, just that it's possible. The issue is that phone/tablet workloads are read-centric so an SLC or even DRAM cache is rather pointless. Most of the data has to be fetched from slower MLC NAND anyway, so the benefit of a cache would be very small.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:28 AM   #267
deconstruct60
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorje Sylas View Post
Hardly desperation. You don't throw down another device into your chain with a extra 100 dollar price bump if your desperate. You do this when your flush and have the cushion to see if the real market will bite, not some focus groups or internal think tank.
While desperate is the wrong adjective the assignment of "flush and cushion" is equally as off the mark. In the conference call Cook admitted that the iPad mini has lower than corporate average margins. In fact that is what the more highly speculative stock folks are pressed about; drop in margins.

This product is a margin booster. It is far more a move to remain in the "flush" status rather than are in a "happy no worries" zone.

Quote:
Desperate would have been a price cut on all current models and the 128 GB 4th-gen being $699.
That is not so much desperate as a inventory flush. Apple's inventory and channel backlog are among the lowest of any of their competitors. that's a catch-22 if roll out anything late (e.g., iMac ).

Quote:
Still it's been far too long for Apple to keep the prices of Flash-Memory as high in there devices as its been. Especially as they are now soldiering them on the boards and making it non-upgradeable.
You are mixing RAM and Flash. Flash has always been soldered onto iOS devices. In the Mac space all the Flash (SSD) are upgradable. It is RAM that tracked from DIMMs to soldered with retina MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs.
deconstruct60 is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:33 AM   #268
nickn
macrumors 6502

As already said, the cost difference between the 64 and 128GB versions is $100. As it is, I can go to Amazon, and purchase a 64GB micro SD for $60. If Apple was to purchase a million of those cards, they could easily get the price down, so why are we paying so much? On the lower end, a boost of 16GB from 16GB to 32GB is also $100, despite the fact that a 16GB micro sd card is going for less than $9 new... Apple is so full of °°°°, it isn't even funny...

Last edited by nickn; Jan 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
nickn is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:35 AM   #269
currocj
macrumors member

New Business Need?

Can't someone start ripping open ipad and soldering mem chips? Or are they proprietary? This would be a $1B type business

----------

Given this outrageous storage pricing I will only ever get the smallest iPad. I'm forced to get the mid-sized iPhone just so I don't miss a video opportunity for one of my children...
currocj is offline   2
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:36 AM   #270
tdtran1025
macrumors regular

AAPL will sink further because of this mentality of padding the margin. They have the winning product that would fail mass adoption.
tdtran1025 is offline   3
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:36 AM   #271
Danoc
macrumors regular

Funny to see that in 2013 there are stil people who consider the iPad as a large toy for rich kids.

Manifestly they haven't understood the story.
Danoc is offline   2
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:38 AM   #272
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
Quote:
almost would even say 64 should be base honestly, but I won't get too optimistic
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:38 AM   #273
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Those cards are lower speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
That would be a perfect opportunity to move the Fusion technology from MacOS X to iOS. If it works with 1TB hard drive + 128GB SSD, then it would also work with 128GB slow flash memory and 16GB fast flash memory.
You are still piping it over USB 2.0. Unless Apple dedicates a PCIe lane or adds USB 3.0 it will be just as slow. Tegra 4 is crazy by having USB 3.0 support out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichaelb View Post
What I would really like to see is them drop the number of SKUs. They should just cut their margin a little on the iPads and ONLY have cellular models. That way EVERY iPad has that potential- which I'm sure Apple gets a cut of that monthly access fee.
The price of getting the cellular modem installed is rather close to the price of the hardware itself. Most other manufacturers charge ~$129 for the luxury.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:38 AM   #274
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstruct60 View Post
In the conference call Cook admitted that the iPad mini has lower than corporate average margins. In fact that is what the more highly speculative stock folks are pressed about; drop in margins.

This product is a margin booster. It is far more a move to remain in the "flush" status rather than are in a "happy no worries" zone.
Excellent analysis.

I agree - now Apple's overall iPad profit margin can go up from say, 42% to 45% and Wall Street will be drooling over higher profit margins and AAPL stock will soar. This is one of many reasons I hate the stock market, it's so senseless to reality. Apple can have the highest record quarter of any company, but the stock plummets, they do a few stupid tweaks, then the stock will soar. It's not just Apple, it's a dumb Wall street mentality for what makes a good company.
bbeagle is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:39 AM   #275
ultra7k
macrumors regular

So much complaining!

Geez...take it easy.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion