Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:43 PM   #326
Tech198
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone5att64 View Post
256 GB is $27 per 16 GB x 15.
512 GB is $16.13 per 16 GB x 31.
if Apple ever priced an ipad over $1000, just because of more storage, then I don't care what anyone says... It's like BUYING a Mac.

You'll soon need a second job just to get it....

Either that, or no-one would buy it.
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:43 PM   #327
Woyzeck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Bah

128GB is for girls. Real men cram all their data into 16GB.
Woyzeck is offline   4
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:47 PM   #328
Tech198
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post
Yes, it has. It's called eBay
ebay is not a mod shop..

Not yet anyway. We need more fakes.
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:48 PM   #329
4mat
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by srxtr View Post
Storage gets cheaper and cheaper, and yet Apple keeps their prices the same year after year

If you don't like Apple's prices go and buy a Samsung or Asus. Either that or sit in the corner with your iPad and shut up.
__________________
Early 2009 iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 8Gb RAM, 1TB HDD, iPad (3rd gen) 64GB wifi + cellular, iPod Touch (G5) 64GB, iPod Classic 160 GB, appleTV (3rd gen)
4mat is offline   3
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:50 PM   #330
MacMilligan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woyzeck View Post
128GB is for girls. Real men cram all their data into 16GB.
Agree. It's funny that my desktop has as much ram as my iPad has storage.
MacMilligan is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:51 PM   #331
Tech198
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
... And the crowd goes wild..
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:51 PM   #332
echo44
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woyzeck View Post
128GB is for girls. Real men cram all their data into 16GB.
Exactly the mars curiosity space probe with all its function has
only 2GB of flash memory and on;y 256mb ram shows you how bloated
consumer softawre is!!
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408127,00.asp
echo44 is offline   3
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:55 PM   #333
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stega87 View Post
From 16GB to 32GB = 16GB --> 100$
From 32GB to 64GB = 32GB --> 100$
From 64GB to 128GB = 64GB --> 100$

Now i am thinking 100$ for 16GB more is a little bit overpriced
Balsy move indeed; hopefully market conditions will convince them to adjust these prices to a more reasonable level.
Either way these puppies will sell. Not
macs4nw is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:55 PM   #334
nickftw8686
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Drop the 16gb model and reduce the price of the rest by 100! 16gb is a waste, It really is not enough space when you cannot add your own storage to it.
__________________
Apple TV 2 and 3
32GB iPhone 5c Blue
nickftw8686 is offline   2
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:57 PM   #335
wizard
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2003
How is that possible. At best iPad 1 was a proof of concept. Moving to iPad 3 convinced me that the promise of iPad could be realized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosQG View Post
And I'm still happy and productive with my 16 Gb iPad 1.
wizard is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:00 PM   #336
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
Me too Sam. And I took a beating for taking the "iPad <1> should have an iSight camera" side too. I was called stupid (for wanting it). "99% would never use it". And on and on (the usual stuff whenever Apple leaves out something that is desirable to some).

I wonder if I can find a few posters who argue both sides within the context of selling others on whichever iPad is the point of topic at that moment? I bet there's at least a few who talk out of both sides of their mouth within such context.
Go nuts...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=855006
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=874446
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=868530
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10063858
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9554536
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9412879
samcraig is offline   3
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:02 PM   #337
Jetson
macrumors 6502a
 
Jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoFio View Post
Not really, as the Surface Pro is a full blown touch screen computer with an Intel processor and as such can do a whole lot more than an iPad can. One could even argue that the Surface RT can do more than an iPad can.
So the Surface is really just a flimsy laptop?
Jetson is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:02 PM   #338
Technarchy
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
with the cost of gas, why not just fly?
I'd rather not have my wife and kids get raped by some mental midget TSA agent. And they'll probably steal the iPad and give it to baby momma
Technarchy is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:03 PM   #339
wizard
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
Also have to look at an MBA now.

iPad has too many drawback to work with it. It's just for consuming content and too heavy. Falls on my nose when I fall asleep:-)
That wouldn't happen if you free up the other hand.
wizard is offline   3
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:03 PM   #340
melendezest
macrumors 6502a
 
melendezest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
Spoken like a true Apple fan.

When the specs are favorable to Apple, tout 'em. When the specs are unfavorable, discount or dismiss them.

It reminds me of the old days of G4/G5 vs. Intel CPUs. "Mhz doesn't matter", etc. Intel was only "inferior" until Apple announced the switch. Then, Intel was superior almost overnight. Did the G5 change? Did Intel suddenly change? No... Apple decided to flip flop on the long-standing argument that the G-series was superior to Intel.

Or when TV was capped at 720p. "I can't see the <1080p> difference", "until national bandwidth is expanded...", the chart, "crash the whole internet", etc until Apple rolled out 1080p and then all that evaporated overnight.

Or when iPad 1 launched without a front-facing camera. "Why would anyone want that?", "how could I possibly hold it stable enough for Skype?", "who wants to be looking up my nose when I talk to them?", "it would be stupid to want an isight camera in an iPad", etc. Then, Apple rolls out iPad 2 with "facetime" and we gush, "shut up and take my money", "I'm already in line", "credit card is ready", etc.

Patent law is stupid when it works against Apple. Patent law is excellent- "Die Samsung Die" when it "protects Apple IP... as it should" and similar.

We're such a fair weather group here. If it's good for Apple, we're all for it. If it's bad for Apple, we dismiss it, discount it, pretend it doesn't matter, make fun of it, even try to change the argument to something else, etc. Do we all have careers in PR and Marketing?

Hardware specs are as important to an overall system as software specs. Better is better. Ferociously exceptional software running on crappy hardware is yielding a lessor experience than running that same software on better hardware. We whine with every Mac release that it didn't have the latest graphics card or the latest CPU, etc but then we'll spin how specs shouldn't matter when Apple is on the wrong end of that comparison with another Apple product. Pick a side and stick with it on both the sunny and rainy days.
You're right. Most of what you say is true. But I think it is also based on a narrow point of view (albeit a valid one).

It's true that Apple flipped-flopped like crazy; I don't blame them (they're selling something after all-they're no different than every other company out there). You are also spot on about many, if not all, Apple fans.

I think that the issue is that different user-types have different value propositions. To me, Apple users (fans?) place higher value ratings on a different set of features than the rest of users (such as aesthetics).

As such, there is no such black-and-white categorizations as "better is better". This is an illusion. With regards of a particular set, "better is better" for you, the individual.

The Apple fan is concerned mainly with the experience. Separating specs, while a good and valid indicator of quality for many, is not the be-all-end-all. This does not mean that Apple users are unreasonable. It simply means that they value something different (no pun intended).

I am an Apple fan, but I still wanted 1080p, Android features such as separate user accounts, larger screens on phones, better graphics cards, blu-ray playback, etc.

However, the drawbacks that I see on other platforms are deal-breakers for me (ugly, fat hardware, jerky operation, unreliability, lack of security, style). I see Apple advantages that I cannot do without (OSX, smooth as hell trackpads, thin, sexy hardware design, security, reliability, stability). My prioritization of these things is highly subjective and a matter of taste.

Therefore, I'm forced to wait until Apple "catches up" on a feature here or there, because there are simply no alternatives for everything else, when looking at the big picture of an Apple device.

So don't give up on us Apple fans; there's still a few reasonable ones left..
__________________
Apple is great, but it could be better. I don't shy away from pointing out how, just to please its… um... fans.

Last edited by melendezest; Jan 29, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
melendezest is offline   3
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:04 PM   #341
4kk2kk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac&cheesey View Post
Fantastic!
I figured someone will find humour in that, glad it was you friend.

Peace
4kk2kk is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:06 PM   #342
daneoni
macrumors G4
 
daneoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I would argue the opposite
Makes no sense for an iDevice to have more storage than a full fledged laptop whilst being priced at similar price points. The Air needs to be upgraded to 128GB asap.
__________________
15" rMBP Core i7 | 27" ACD | AEBS | 5G iPod | iPhone 5S | 3G Apple TV | rMini
daneoni is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:06 PM   #343
melendezest
macrumors 6502a
 
melendezest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 View Post
Their margins were slightly lower as Tim Cook explained related
to the expenses of ramping up so many new products simulataneously!
Going forward margins will improve as they have historically after every new product relase. As production yields improve margin increase. All that being said margin decline was minimal last quater and year over year profit increasewere significant. I would guess the reason they relased a 128GB model is because there is demand in the consumer space. Although I have been happy with 64GB I can understand if someone did not have acccess to the cloud and needed to store movies and music the extra space would be welcome.
I was referring to the reason why the mini may not have retina next time around..

But I agree with what you said with regards to storage on the iPad.
__________________
Apple is great, but it could be better. I don't shy away from pointing out how, just to please its… um... fans.
melendezest is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:07 PM   #344
rMBP15
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by george-brooks View Post
I'm perfectly happy with my 32GB iPad because I don't keep any music on it, but what I REALLY need is a 128GB iPhone!!
I completely agree with you there bro... 128GB iPhone 5S with 5-inch screen would be a killer smartphone of the year!!!

Last edited by rMBP15; Jan 29, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
rMBP15 is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:10 PM   #345
4kk2kk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I still say desperate-- here is why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorje Sylas View Post
Hardly desperation. You don't throw down another device into your chain with a extra 100 dollar price bump if your desperate. You do this when your flush and have the cushion to see if the real market will bite, not some focus groups or internal think tank.

Desperate would have been a price cut on all current models and the 128 GB 4th-gen being $699.

Still it's been far too long for Apple to keep the prices of Flash-Memory as high in there devices as its been. Especially as they are now soldiering them on the boards and making it non-upgradeable.

It is what i call a desperate move, but instead of being modest and move forward with some fairness to their loyal buyers, they take a "sucker shot", they desperately and very greedy like offer this 128gb hoping and knowing the suckers will jump, and make a big profit, then they will lower it to norm. Maybe not though if too many suckers jump on board.

They could very easily make a lot and be fair to the people that make them so large.

And here is the problem, US-- we keep buying and contribute to this prob. We should get together and strike, not only apple but any company sucking the blood life out of us. Trust me the prices will drop-- it can only drop or go out of buzz. We are at fault for what is happening.

Peace and thanks for the heads up, you message or quote does make sense though and I do see why they are not desperate in your example. I was just trying to show a different side, perhaps i did not explain well enough.
4kk2kk is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:11 PM   #346
mcdj
macrumors 603
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
I think the February launch date of the 128GB model pretty much rules out an iPad refresh in March...
If a line refresh does happen in March, it will be official that Apple no longer cares about alienating existing customers.
__________________
Great cage! No bird...
50f/2
mcdj is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:13 PM   #347
peglegjack
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Oh please.

Just let me get a MacBook off Craigslist for $200 and I'll call it a day.
peglegjack is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:14 PM   #348
pjfla
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but should we assume the 5 (supposedly new design) will also be avail with 128gb?

Im with others on wanting it in my iPhone too.
pjfla is offline   1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:14 PM   #349
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
Oh mercy. Thanks for reminding me of just how passionate people were about iPad not having front-facing cameras. Before that trip down memory lane, I remembered it as a kind of aggravating/painful experience of being blasted over and over for making the "it needs an iSight camera" case. Now, it's just funny seeing familiar names making the hard con argument against that camera.

Now again, if only we had a hypocrite advanced search where we could match names of those who were so passionately against it to those same people writing how excited they were about facetime just one year later. That would be hilarious.... and, I fear, a very long list. Same with "720p is good enough" TV, patent law is great/stupid, iPhone 5 with a taller but not wider screen "never"/"fragmentation" vs. actual iPhone 5 launch, and on and on.

Hate it until Apple rolls with it and then "I" love it. Love it until Apple rejects it and then "I" hate it.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   4
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:16 PM   #350
Hellhammer
Moderator
 
Hellhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
Have I not seen that used on package for gaming consoles? I understand that would fall in under high capacity cache but you are already on the package there. My concern is the bus that connects the SoC to the NAND flash storage. On my phone, both the internal NAND and the MicroSD benchmark at ~18 MB/s.

Edit: No, that would have been eDRAM but the latter part still stands.
eMMC is both the package and the interface. It's a bit confusing, I know.



Here's block diagram of TI's OMAP4430, as you can see MMCSD is separate from USB:



There are two reasons why eMMC is rather slow. We are usually dealing with only a few NAND dies (e.g. 16GB is two 8GB dies at 2Xnm) so there isn't much room for parallelism (the reason why SSDs are fast is because you're dealing with multiple NAND dies/packages. Bigger capacities are often faster because of this). Especially write performance is heavily dependent on the amount of NAND because writing to NAND is a much more complex process compared to reading (takes around 20 times longer to program a page than read it).

Another reason is that eMMC controllers are often pure crap. Even a single NAND die can be read in the magnitude of hundreds of MB/s (e.g. assuming Tr = 7*10^-5 sec, 16KB page size and no controller overhead or other bottlenecks, the raw throughput would be 228MB/s). I know Anand has been pushing vendors a lot to use better eMMC solutions but so far most have stuck with the slower ones. I guess it's because "this is fast enough".
__________________
SSD Editor for AnandTech
You can also follow me in Twitter!
Hellhammer is online now   2

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple TV + 128 GB iPad 4th gen Psychopulse Apple TV and Home Theater 2 Nov 19, 2013 08:52 PM
iPad: iPad Retina 128GB $929 NewAnger iPad 76 Mar 31, 2013 02:19 PM
Apple Preparing to Launch 128 GB Versions of Full-Size iPad? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 235 Feb 22, 2013 02:28 AM
Apple Launches 128 GB iPad with 1-3 Day Shipping MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 219 Feb 12, 2013 07:11 AM
128 GB iPad Launch Suggestive of Fall iPad 5 Release MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 36 Feb 1, 2013 09:39 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC