Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkknite63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Hi, I use iMovie, but it has now become completely unusable. I have to force quit it. I have iMovie '09. Every time i click on something or move the mouse, the beachball starts up. My Mac is a macbook pro mid 2010, 2.4 GHz core 2 duo and 4 Gigs ram. 250 GB hard drive with 100 GB free.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Try deleting the iMovie .plist. Found in Home Folder>Library>com.apple.iMovie.plist or similar.

Also try using it in a different account. Does it still crash?

darkknite63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Try deleting the iMovie .plist. Found in Home Folder>Library>com.apple.iMovie.plist or similar.

Also try using it in a different account. Does it still crash?

I dont have library folder in my home folder. I'm running mountain lion. I have library in my Macintosh HD folder.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The user library is hidden in 10.7 and later. To access it, either hold the option key and click the Go menu while in Finder and choose the Library in the drop down or in the same Go menu, select Go To Folder and enter the path ~/Library.

I will say that most often iMovie instability has little to do with the application but rather the files and other content iMovie tries to index and access upon launch. Try renaming temporarily the iMovie Events and iMovie Projects folders in ~/Movies, and then reopening iMovie. If iMovie launches, something in one or both of those folders is interfering with iMovie's normal operation. If iMovie still doesn't launch, you want to consider renaming or otherwise creating a new iPhoto Library, and then relaunching iMovie. If it still crashes, the iMovie plists or the contents of the ~/Library/Caches folder may need to be trashed. If after all of this iMovie is still out of whack, trying another user is advisable. Possibly something in /Library/QuickTime may need to be removed. Lastly, deleting all the support files and the iMovie application itself, then reinstalling iMovie, may be necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.