Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
I have a first-gen running the original iOS (3.2) but I'm not sure I want to upgrade all the way to 5 due to reports of crashes and slowdown. What would be a good compromise?

The app store doesn't even work on 3.2 (fields are blank and buy buttons don't work) so I need to upgrade.

Thanks!

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I have a first-gen running the original iOS (3.2) but I'm not sure I want to upgrade all the way to 5 due to reports of crashes and slowdown. What would be a good compromise?

The app store doesn't even work on 3.2 (fields are blank and buy buttons don't work) so I need to upgrade.

Thanks!

We are running 5.1 on ours (i think that is what it is, not at home right now). I thought 4 ran the best.

We still use ours alot every day, for web browsing (wife loves pintrest). Also use it as an ATV remote. I think if you try and upgrade the OS your only choice is to take it to the highest iOS that will run on it (that is 5.1 or so)

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
If you are still running a 1st gen iPad, I'd suggest upgrading to a new iPad rather than a new OS.;)

Lol, I also have a 4th-gen.

We are running 5.1 on ours (i think that is what it is, not at home right now). I thought 4 ran the best.

We still use ours alot every day, for web browsing (wife loves pintrest). Also use it as an ATV remote. I think if you try and upgrade the OS your only choice is to take it to the highest iOS that will run on it (that is 5.1 or so)

Oh...I thought that I could manually select any ISPW file from iTunes and install that version. Not possible?

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Nope if you dont have blobs you will have to update to the latest possible version

So holding ALT+clicking Restore and selecting a downloaded 4.X ISPW won't work?

Do you mean I need 4.X SHSH blobs from my device to do that (which I wouldn't have)?

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I think now that 6.1 is out and you can upgrade the 3GS, it's time for Apple to release a version of 6 for the original iPad. They talk about the percentage of iOS devices running iOS 6, imaging how much higher that percentage would be if they just released 6 for the 1G iPad...

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I think now that 6.1 is out and you can upgrade the 3GS, it's time for Apple to release a version of 6 for the original iPad. They talk about the percentage of iOS devices running iOS 6, imaging how much higher that percentage would be if they just released 6 for the 1G iPad...

The reason Apple still "supports" the 3GS at iOS6 is many of those users are still under contract to their cell phone companies. Remember the 3GS was still being sold as of September 2012 in many markets.

I suspect the 3GS will be supported with software updates until iOS7 is release. That way people who purchase the 3GS during 2012 feel like they gotten at least 1 year of software support.

The iPad 1 stopped being sold in March 2011. For the most part, there isn't a contract model cause iPad was full price purchase. Apple treated the original iPod Touch the same way (they actually charged $10) for software upgrades.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
The reason Apple still "supports" the 3GS at iOS6 is many of those users are still under contract to their cell phone companies. Remember the 3GS was still being sold as of September 2012 in many markets.

I suspect the 3GS will be supported with software updates until iOS7 is release. That way people who purchase the 3GS during 2012 feel like they gotten at least 1 year of software support.

The iPad 1 stopped being sold in March 2011. For the most part, there isn't a contract model cause iPad was full price purchase. Apple treated the original iPod Touch the same way (they actually charged $10) for software upgrades.

I would be willing to pay for the upgrade.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So holding ALT+clicking Restore and selecting a downloaded 4.X ISPW won't work?

The reason is that your iPad will communicate with Apple's servers and Apple won't authorize an older OS.

However this might give some hope with Redsnow:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

"•if you don’t have the blobs locally, let redsn0w try to fetch them remotely (redsn0w always tries both Apple and Cydia). Any succesful remote fetch also saves a local copy too."

gekkota

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
I still have my iPad 1 and I agree with the others. 5.1 is constantly crashing due to low memory. It's not unusable, but is is not nearly as fun as it used to be! I think it ran best on OS 3.2 but it also ran alright on 4. Once I upgraded to 5, it was all downhill due to the memory required to run the OS efficiently.

I was planning to get an iPad 4, but may decide to suffer a while longer til the iPad 5 comes out. I am also kind of in a dilemma with what to do with my old iPad 1. I'd like to sell it, but I would feel guilty because it crashes so much!

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
My girlfriend is using an iPad on iOS5, and it does feel slower than it was on iOS4 but still usable.
Either way I would also say, maybe its time for an upgrade?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
iOS 4 definitely ran better than iOS 5 on my original iPad. Still, my son uses it mostly for Netflix video and some kid games which it handles without problems.

Other than some scratches on the screen from my son and his friends gaming a little too vigorously on it, it still works well and the battery still lasts a long time.

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009

Thanks!

The latest possible. iOs 5.xx

5.1 was a bad upgrade for the original iPad. Safari crashes a lot more.

My experience tells otherwise. Works like a charm. I still don't fell the need to upgrade to a newer iPad (except for the excessive weight of the device itself)

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
for the ipad1, my many accounts iOS 4.3.3 and 5.1.1 were the two most stable versions, the former especially so.

personally, i would go with those instead of v6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.