Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:04 AM   #26
Daalseth
macrumors 6502

No Thanks

At home I'm on OpenOffice. My wife is on MS Office.X. It still works and does everything she needs so why bother upgrading. Eventually OS-X won't support it any more. Her old MacBook is on Snow Leopard just so she can keep using the old Office and a few other things. Eventually she'll get a new system and then I'll likely move her over to OpenOffice.,

Where I work we are all on Office 2010 and Win 7 with no plans to change. I'll likely lay in a few extra copies of each while I can still get them as spares. I'm running OpenOffice on my system and nobody has noticed.

We have two users on Office365, salespeople that need mobile access to docs and e-mail. Having gone through the setup I'm pushing heavily toward NOT deploying it any further. I see no advantages, significant drawbacks, and ongoing cost.
Daalseth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:09 AM   #27
princigalli
macrumors 6502

Why use office? I use Apple Pages, it's cheaper and does everything I need it to do. Probably better too.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:09 AM   #28
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Sadly folks Office 365 is likely the inevitable future for the Mac and Office on the mac platform.

Been using Office 13 for a long while, it is pretty much Office 2010 with small face lift and tweaks.
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:09 AM   #29
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson View Post
Microsoft's behavior here is really quite poor.

Consider the fact that Microsoft cut its teeth on point and click, object oriented computing on the Macintosh back in the early days when Bill and Steve were best friends.

Now this is the way they treat paying customers? Yes, if you use a Mac.
It would be easier for me to get worked up about this if I ever used Office. As it is, I'm not a power user, Keynote works great for my needs and I actually prefer Pages to Word. I never have any reason to go within 100 feet of Excel or Numbers.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:10 AM   #30
Marjamrob1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
Open Office is Open Ugly though.
And it doesn't work very well with excel files.
Marjamrob1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:11 AM   #31
DoNoHarm
macrumors 65816

I wonder if it's an issue of patents. I find it incredible how the back end of Numbers hasn't been updated to be better than Excell in 20 years. I say back end, because I think the UI and usability of Numbers is much better than excell. as far as pages and keynote go, they are way better than microsoft office IMO.
DoNoHarm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:12 AM   #32
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
You still get the option to buy Office outright, but you don't get any of the extras such as extra Skydrive space, skype minutes, or future updates ( only point updates ).

If you use Office on a regular basis then the $99 subscription fee could be good value. Otherwise you'll probably better off using something else, or buy the software outright as before.
The biggest advantage is that its a five machine licence and covers the PC and Mac versions.

If you have a mixed economy of machines at home (which is very common) or dual booted (which is also very common) youd only need one 365 licence to cover them all, whereas youd need several to cover them previously.

However, its just too expensive for a yearly rate IMO. As a home user Id maybe pay 25 a year, but if Im paying 70 I want a permanent licence. Its just not worth more than that.
The Phazer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:13 AM   #33
mslide
macrumors 6502a

Who cares? I mean, why would someone upgrade their version of Office assuming it's from the past 10 years or so?

I'm surprised Microsoft even bothers.
mslide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:15 AM   #34
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNoHarm View Post
I wonder if it's an issue of patents. I find it incredible how the back end of Numbers hasn't been updated to be better than Excell in 20 years. I say back end, because I think the UI and usability of Numbers is much better than excell. as far as pages and keynote go, they are way better than microsoft office IMO.
Its not just Numbers..

Apple have stopped major updates to the majority of their consumer software products. When was the last time iLife was updated (iPhoto, garage band, iMovie, iWeb ( discontinued ) and iWork? Years. Its just bug fixes, updates to support iCloud and smaller functionality updates here and there.

Last edited by Stella; Jan 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Stella is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:15 AM   #35
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKNN21 View Post
Who needs to keep their Office updated anyway? They will just have the same functions, just an different UI

The Office at my workplace's PC is still 2003
Yeah, I'm still at '04, but I also have '08 installed. Also, after '08 I think, they really screwed up the interface and made it just way more annoying.
1Alec1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:16 AM   #36
nefan65
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post
Who cares? I mean, why would someone upgrade their version of Office assuming it's from the past 10 years or so?

I'm surprised Microsoft even bothers.
They bother because of $$$. Office is their cash cow; along with Windows. If Office dried up on them, they'd go broke.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:16 AM   #37
hayesk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
A bigger issue is people use Excel as a database. Its not a database!
Thank you! I can't stand it when people try to use Excel for a database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
Anyone who thinks iWork or any other office replacement is a viable alternative to MS Office simply isn't a power user of excel. That doesn't absolve MS of responsibility though, since the Mac version of Excel is awful.

MS is smart in this case. They know Excel is essentially required in business and keep the Mac version bad enough that people won't switch.
Have some perspective. Most users don't even use 10% of Word or Excel's features. Yes Excel (even the Mac version) has many more features than iWork, but that doesn't mean that iWork doesn't meet the needs of a large amount of Office users.

And I don't think the Excel version is bad enough that people won't switch. Most don't even know if it's that bad. I don't find it particularly worse than the Windows versions - at least I can turn off the ribbon. But I'm not an Excel power user like many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicalone View Post
To me it feels like Microsoft is throwing away money by not offering an iPad version.

I wouldn't need it, but I'm sure there are plenty of business customers who would pay for a native version.
I agree. They could be making millions.
hayesk is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:21 AM   #38
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by princigalli View Post
Why use office? I use Apple Pages, it's cheaper and does everything I need it to do. Probably better too.
Yes it does, but Numbers does not. I use iWork and Excel.

----------

$99/year was the price of MobileMe, and what you got was definitely better than what you get from this. Office '04 or iWork + Dropbox FTW.
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:22 AM   #39
deconstruct60
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinford View Post
The fact is that Office is a mature product; the only advantage I see in paying a subscription is for the cloud storage and there are already plenty of other options.
There is an advantage if are in a home with 3 or more computers.

Individual Office is $139 ( according to article and not including Outlook. ). Even if street price is $109 then:

3 * $109 = $327

Over a 3 year span till the next Office upgrade.

3 * $99 = $297

That is potentially using no Cloud storage. That is more of a value-add if don't have a household with multiple computers.

Quote:
The last upgrade to 2011, was justifiable on the basis that Microsoft had put back Visual Basic work-flows, something that should never have been taken away from the pervious version!
That the VB basic implementation was grounded on some PPC specific hackery ... they probably did make the right move with the resources they had. You can wave your hands about how Microsoft should have hired lots more folks to port Office Mac over to the x86 while at the same time going Cocoa, insert all the new Windows Office features, and replace the hackery VB is grounded on.
deconstruct60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:24 AM   #40
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

What's funny is that it used to be that the Mac versions of office were 12-18 months ahead of the Windows versions. Office for Mac v.X was way ahead of Office 2003 for Windows, Office 2004 for Mac was ahead of Office 2007 for Windows in every way except XML-based documents.

It wasn't until Office 2007 for Windows that the Mac fell behind. It took Apple a year to release XML-compatibility for the Mac, and Office 2008 for Mac was barely an upgrade. Office 2011? Yeah.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:25 AM   #41
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
Yeah, I'm still at '04, but I also have '08 installed. Also, after '08 I think, they really screwed up the interface and made it just way more annoying.
Yeah, Office 08 is like Windows 8, wasting users' time to learn the UI all over again.

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB
HarryKNN21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:27 AM   #42
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Can't wait for the latest version of Office for Mac. I love it, and live and die by it.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:28 AM   #43
HenryDJP
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
At least Office 2011 isnt an eye-sore like 2013.

Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.

Don't ever open Office 2013 in a darkened room...
That's Office 2010 you're showing, not 2011.
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:29 AM   #44
sevimli
macrumors 6502a

Got mine for $9.95 weeks ago through my school. I thought it was released already.
sevimli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:29 AM   #45
Berserker-UK
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Don't ever open Office 2013 in a darkened room...
That's Microsoft's new 'style'. Visual Studio 2012 got there first. If you want to use Office 2013 in a darkened room, use dark theme.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:29 AM   #46
zoetmb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderDude View Post
The Mac Version of Excel is a nightmare...
What!!??? Why? It's virtually the same as the Windows version (except for Macro support). I've used both completely interchangably for many years. Even when I've had an older version on the Mac vs. the PC (or vice-versa), I've had no problems.

There are only two issues I've ever found:
- the differences in the date system sometimes doesn't work out if you move the file back and forth and edit in both systems.
- because of the difference between most Mac resolutions and PC resolutions, I usually have to bump up the zoom on the Mac when looking at a spreadsheet created on the PC.

The Mac version also has always had one strange advantage: On the PC version, if you're entering a formula and click on different cells, one cell replaces another in the formula. But on the Mac, it defaults to adding those cells together so you don't have to hit the "+" key between each one. Much more efficient.

On the other hand, the PC version lets you add a line break within a cell by using the Alt key. On the Mac, it requires three keys (Ctrl-Alt-Apple I think) to accomplish the same thing (for years I thought the Mac didn't have that feature at all.)

Other than that, I see no substantive differences. The menus may be a little different, but the same overall functionality.
zoetmb is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:29 AM   #47
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Thank you! I can't stand it when people try to use Excel for a database.

Have some perspective. Most users don't even use 10% of Word or Excel's features. Yes Excel (even the Mac version) has many more features than iWork, but that doesn't mean that iWork doesn't meet the needs of a large amount of Office users.

And I don't think the Excel version is bad enough that people won't switch. Most don't even know if it's that bad. I don't find it particularly worse than the Windows versions - at least I can turn off the ribbon. But I'm not an Excel power user like many.

I agree. They could be making millions.
iWork isn't really unusable, the only trouble is that over 80% of computer on earth is running M$ Office. Thus no matter what when you have to work on Office, you have to export your iWork file to Excel format, and that's very annoying because the file exported will be ruined by iWork.

That's why I somehow leave iWork behind.

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB
HarryKNN21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:33 AM   #48
paulsdenton
macrumors 6502

It's been all downhill from Office 2003 anyway. No loss.
paulsdenton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:35 AM   #49
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsdenton View Post
It's been all downhill from Office 2003 anyway. No loss.
I feel 2010 was absolutely fantastic, 2007 was a major improvement over 2003 but 2010 was a major refinement.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:36 AM   #50
deconstruct60
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Freak View Post
What's funny is that it used to be that the Mac versions of office were 12-18 months ahead of the Windows versions. ..... It took Apple a year to release XML-compatibility for the Mac, and Office 2008 for Mac was barely an upgrade....
It took Apple? Microsoft delivers Office for the Mac. Actually Apple's hand in the matter was part of the substantive delay. Dead ending Carbon (no 64 bit option) and switching to x86 made the Microsoft Office team have to port the application to a new framework and , because of assembly language core elements (like VB support), switch to a new scripting solution as well. All of that time and effort means not keeping up with the features added to the Windows version.

Apple pouring lots of resources at the time into matching Office with their own applications also lessened the incentive for Microsoft to pour even larger resources into the Mac solution. So the resources roughly remained the same and hard resource allocation choices had to be made. The Windows versions had no such allocation issues. The OS strategy was not at odds with the Office strategy. So progress went faster.
deconstruct60 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion