Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:36 AM   #51
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
What!!??? Why? It's virtually the same as the Windows version (except for Macro support).
Mac Office 2011 has full VB Macro support.
HenryDJP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:39 AM   #52
MTL18
macrumors regular

Big whoop.

Wouldn't spend 100 dollars to upgrade from Office '08. Software doesn't need to always be the latest and greatest - if it still works, leave it.
MTL18 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:40 AM   #53
Cynicalone
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Microsoft should release Office on microsoft tablets while forgoing the iPad. Office on windows 8 for mobile devices would encourage businesses back to microsoft platform and away from Apple.
This is the problem with the thinking at Microsoft under Ballmer.

Microsoft is a software company. The iPad is a software platform that could be making them millions. iPad/iOS sales could easily surpass Mac sales for Microsoft.
Cynicalone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:41 AM   #54
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
So microsoft is also abandoning dvd distribution.... Cool
No they aren't. They will still sell you a hard copy.
samcraig is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:42 AM   #55
StoneJack
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicalone View Post

Microsoft is a software company. The iPad is a software platform that could be making them millions. iPad/iOS sales could easily surpass Mac sales for Microsoft.
They are keeping Office for tablets for their Surface RT (ARM) tablets.
Office for Surface RT doesn't have even Outlook or any other native email clients.
They keeping it for Surface Pro.

All of this is a big mistake, while an understandable try to leverage Office for selling Windows platform.
But that just makes Office obsolete day by day.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:44 AM   #56
deconstruct60
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
I agree. They could be making millions.
If Microsoft can make Windows RT (which comes with a bundled, so price included, version Office ) work they will make millions more.

Between the two it is a better bet. In the Apple App store it couldn't be "Office". They'd had to debundle the applications. That dilutes much of the leverage that Office (a bundled suite) has. The iOS App store is a "race to the bottom" application space. They could make some money there but it more likely would negatively impact Office pricing elsewhere also. That would be a net loss of millions.
deconstruct60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:44 AM   #57
Macrolido
macrumors regular

Office 2011 is ok for me, I donīt use Windows since 2009.
Macrolido is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:45 AM   #58
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

I don't think this is terribly bad in theory. Things like the Skype minutes every month could make it appealing.

That said, the price is just too high. Regular home users don't need a new version of Office enough to pay $100 a year for it.

The biggest problem with Office has always been that it has too many features. The reason they did the whole ribbon redesign for 2007 was that 7/8 of the top 10 requested features were actually already in Office 2003 - people just didn't know how to get to it or use it!

While I liked the original ribbon design, lots of people didn't. They've since borked it out in to something worse, and at the same time gone back to that horrible fascination they have with Neptune-era "Activity Center" panels:

Saladinos is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:46 AM   #59
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Microsoft should release Office on microsoft tablets while forgoing the iPad. Office on windows 8 for mobile devices would encourage businesses back to microsoft platform and away from Apple.
And this type of post brings me closer to understanding this MR is no longer a place for Apple enthusiasts, just a dumping ground for Apple haters to enjoy.
HenryDJP is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:46 AM   #60
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Office 2011 was an awesome update that made the Mac version of Office decent. I can live without 2013.
Hastings101 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:47 AM   #61
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

So will it work on February 29th, then?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:49 AM   #62
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Microsoft just slaughtered its cash cow for a few juicy steaks. No more milk.
barkomatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:50 AM   #63
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post
Who cares? I mean, why would someone upgrade their version of Office assuming it's from the past 10 years or so?

I'm surprised Microsoft even bothers.
Office and Windows are their cash cows.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:51 AM   #64
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

The boxes for Office 2011 for Mac say that you can get a free upgrade to the next version.

Therefore, the 2013 edition is coming soon.

Microsoft also sells boxes at Apple now that don't come with CDs.
newyorksole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:52 AM   #65
tubular
macrumors member

Pages

I can't complain about Microsoft Windows being a few years behind if Apple is still on Pages '09, Numbers '09, Keynote '09.

Are we really going to go five years without a real upgrade, Apple? Did you reassign all your OSX apps coders, or what?
tubular is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:55 AM   #66
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
A bigger issue is people use Excel as a database. Its not a database!
Using Excel as a database is so much easier than using Access as a database. But FileMaker is far easier to use than Excel.
JHankwitz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:58 AM   #67
tlinford
macrumors regular

Me-thinks

Quote:
You still get the option to buy Office outright, but you don't get any of the extras such as extra Skydrive space, skype minutes, or future updates ( only point updates ).

If you use Office on a regular basis then the $99 subscription fee could be good value. Otherwise you'll probably better off using something else, or buy the software outright as before.
I wonder if the single payment option is transitory, until they get enough of a customer base, then ditch it?

I think Microsoft is way off pitch here?
TV2
tlinford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:58 AM   #68
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicalone View Post

Microsoft would make far more money if customers started buying Surface instead of iPad. More income through hardware and more income through software. Microsoft would be making more than mere 'millions'.

Business customer is the more stable cash cow than consumers. Get them locked in to your own mobile hardware and software ( again ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinford View Post
I wonder if the single payment option is transitory, until they get enough of a customer base, then ditch it?
Probably, in the longer term. Subscription software is the future. People won't be buying software outright forever. Software will be seen as a [subscription] service - and subscriptions also reduces piracy - makes it more difficult to hack.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:59 AM   #69
Nungster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
A bigger issue is people use Excel as a database. Its not a database!
Amen brother!

"Power users" of Excel should Power Learn some scripting and dbase
Nungster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:59 AM   #70
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
No they aren't. They will still sell you a hard copy.
Well this is from the verge

Quote:
However, there's a big change this time: in the US, UK, and other developed markets, those boxed copies won't include a DVD of the software. Microsoft is simply boxing up product codes in familiar packaging for Office 2013 and Office 365, allowing users to go online to download the software. Some emerging markets will still offer DVD versions, but the majority of users will be downloading Office this time around.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:00 AM   #71
jms969
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
Open Office is Open Ugly though.
LibreOffice is a much much better solution than OpenOffice. LO Ver. 4.0 will be shipping in a few days and they made dramatic leaps ahead of OO.
jms969 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:01 AM   #72
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
Anyone who thinks iWork or any other office replacement is a viable alternative to MS Office simply isn't a power user of excel. That doesn't absolve MS of responsibility though, since the Mac version of Excel is awful.

MS is smart in this case. They know Excel is essentially required in business and keep the Mac version bad enough that people won't switch.
Unless you use excel heavily, what else does office really offer?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:01 AM   #73
JarScott
macrumors 65816

Nearly Ģ100 a year is nowhere near being reasonable for any amount of Microsoft software. The use of Word and Excel or whatever is not worth that and I doubt home users would pay that.
JarScott is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:05 AM   #74
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsdenton View Post
It's been all downhill from Office 2003 anyway. No loss.
No, '04 is just '03 but a little better and with more clipart.

----------

Quote:
Anyone who thinks iWork or any other office replacement is a viable alternative to MS Office simply isn't a power user of excel. That doesn't absolve MS of responsibility though, since the Mac version of Excel is awful.

MS is smart in this case. They know Excel is essentially required in business and keep the Mac version bad enough that people won't switch.
How is the Mac version of Excel worse? They're the same thing.
Also, Pages is better than Word, Keynote MUCH better than PP, and Numbers much worse than Excel. I just use iWork and Excel.
1Alec1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:05 AM   #75
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I would disagree with you since combining Numbers and LibreOffice I have been able to do everything that I have ever done with Microsoft and have saved money in the process.

And the question I have here is why is it necessary to purchase Office anymore when there are not only other alternatives, but also just signing up for a free outlook.com account gets you access to SkyDrive and the ability to create a spreadsheet, word document, powerpoint presentation, or use one note? Sure, they're web apps, but you can save them to the cloud or even download them to your computer and open them with other apps. I even create documents in LibreOffice and can upload those to SkyDrive and the formatting is not changed.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion