Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 7, 2005, 02:34 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Can Apple--or Motorola--deliver a truly great cell experienc...

Category: Apple Services
Link: Can Apple--or Motorola--deliver a truly great cell experience?

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2005, 07:19 PM   #2
freiheit
macrumors 6502a

IMHO there is no truly great cell experience. But then I'm not one who feels the need to be talking on my cell phone 16 hours a day including while I'm at work. I just don't need that much contact with other people.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 04:04 AM   #3
Applespider
macrumors 603

Can't say that Motorola will since anytime I've considered getting one, their UI has had me so confused any time I tried to do anything other than dial a number that I gave up.

Apple; I'm not sure there's a lot of point getting into the phone-building process. Too much competition from very well established names; and the hassle with having to deal with multiple operators around the world who have entirely different agendas. I'd say it's more likely that they build apps to sit on top of the phones and lease them to the other manufacturers. That way there's a heck of a lot more chance of 80% of the world's phones having iTunes on them than anything else.

Truly great cell phone experience? I already have one with my SE K750i. It's got good battery life, I can customise menus/shortcuts to what I use most often, it syncs well with my Mac (contacts and calendar), if I transfer files back and forth using Bluetooth, it drops them into the appropriate section of the phone (music/video/pictures), my calls are clear and don't drop out, the cameras on it is pretty good and it plays non-iTMS AACs.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 06:46 AM   #4
aswitcher
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to aswitcher
You have to think that the Samsung flash deal also means we will see a Samsung iPhone...
Old Oct 8, 2005, 07:20 AM   #5
hob
macrumors 68020

Has anyone tried a Sony Ericsson? That's a nice user experience
Old Oct 8, 2005, 08:26 AM   #6
rockthecasbah
macrumors 68020

Nokia 3120 is what i have, it's glorious. The battery life is stunning, i just keep it in my bag mostly, but i've only charged it about 9 times and i've had it since like November of 2004!!! This svelte, pretty, and very easy to use. The only problem is the sound doesn't support real music tones...but it was a free phone w/ cingular so im not complaining (with a $30 rebate).

^^^I guess that shows how little i use my phone?
"Ignore her, she's a feminist"
rockthecasbah is offline   0
Old Oct 8, 2005, 09:04 AM   #7
Devie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hob
Has anyone tried a Sony Ericsson? That's a nice user experience
I have a SE P900 (PDA phone). Pretty cool but all its features are useless for me . I just like my gadgets.
My mum has a K700i, nice phone.

The SE's UI is the best I have used though, I cannot stand Nokia's... and all other brands (I had a 3315 for a couple of years).
Old Oct 8, 2005, 09:33 AM   #8
macam
macrumors regular

I have a pretty damn good mobile experience... I have a SonyEricsson K750i. And as AppleSpider says it can customise pretty much everything. Sync is awesome with Mac. And I have to say for a phone the camera is outstanding. I take photos with it and i am not unhappy with it's performance!!!!

I W800 is the same phone so that is also good, but you will have to put up with the horribly garish orange colour. (I just couldn't be seen carrying that phone in that colour around!)

I sell phones and I just love the way SE's work... they are far superior to Motorola & Siemens, and just nick it from Nokia. Although have anyone seen the screen shots of that guy who's managed to get iTunes on his windowsCE mobile?! That's cool... but it's a windows mobile and there I couldn't bring it into my house of mac.

Macam
Old Oct 8, 2005, 10:57 AM   #9
AlBDamned
macrumors 68030

The Sony Ericsson experience is a good one and it's difficult to argue with the robustness of Nokias,even if they aren't the best looking phones sometimes.

As for Motorola? No - their phones, overall, are of very low quality and have been for some time. I think if Apple had gone with Nokia on iTunes the whole 'experience' for them and us would have been much better than the rubbish that Steve has now had to back away from and call a 'dip in the water' for Apple.

Apple make their own phone? I say no on that too but Applespider says the reasons why just above.
AlBDamned is offline   0
Old Oct 8, 2005, 02:49 PM   #10
nagromme
macrumors G5

I doubt it will ever happen, but I know I would personally love to have an Apple-designed, OS X-based PDA/phone. (Camera not so important to me, but maybe if it doesn't add bulk. And music player? My iPod handles that fine so I don't care about that.)

I want OS X in pocket form, and I'm bound to get a mobile phone someday. Combine the two and your pocket Mac can communicate. Hook up an external display and keyboard at your destination, and you've got a (slow) full Mac to work on, with all your stuff.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Oct 8, 2005, 08:16 PM   #11
AlBDamned
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
And music player? My iPod handles that fine so I don't care about that.
The thing is for me, owner of a W800i (garish colours and all ) it comes with a 512MB Memory Stick Pro card. I already have a 30GB iPod photo but the phone has pretty much taken over in terms of mobile music. It has radio too so there's another option. I now use my iPod purely for home music. i have to be selective with what I have on the phone, but it has effectively condensed iPod and mobile for me and it's a fair bit smaller too.

I love my iPod, but for day-to-day use, the phone wins. Why take two things when you can take one?

The earphones and output of the W800i are also worth a full recommendation.
AlBDamned is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion