Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:21 PM   #26
nicholc2
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
It's a gimmick and marketing ploy.
If done properly it is in no way a gimmick or marketing ploy. It makes a HUGE difference in the viewing experience. Night and day on most TVs if done properly.
nicholc2 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:28 PM   #27
jdmagoo1
macrumors member

Quote:
Umm you are totally incorrect, having your tv and sound system pro calibrated is like buying a brand new system afterwards, definitely not a marketing ploy!
jdmagoo1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:32 PM   #28
dckcentaur
macrumors member

I downloaded the app and restarted my iPhone and I have 2 apple tv's one 2nd and one 3rd gen. I also installed on my iPad and I cant get the airplay to show the video screens for Picture adjustment just the sound goes to apple tv's and a black picture . The get started video at the beginning of the app works as it should picture and sound . Its only when going to adjustments is anybody else having the same issue

My Apple TV is on the iOS 5.2 release yesterday n the iPad and iPhone are on 6.1
dckcentaur is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:01 PM   #29
jazytsax
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dckcentaur View Post
I downloaded the app and restarted my iPhone and I have 2 apple tv's one 2nd and one 3rd gen. I also installed on my iPad and I cant get the airplay to show the video screens for Picture adjustment just the sound goes to apple tv's and a black picture . The get started video at the beginning of the app works as it should picture and sound . Its only when going to adjustments is anybody else having the same issue

My Apple TV is on the iOS 5.2 release yesterday n the iPad and iPhone are on 6.1
I have this same issue-- iPhone 4 with Apple TV3. Videos work fine but the picture in calibration mode is blank on my screen.
jazytsax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:15 PM   #30
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

So you must connect this to your TV to get any benefit from it?

I have a mini connected to my TV (instead of an Apple TV). Can a mini be tricked into doing Airplay mirroring?
Undecided is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:20 PM   #31
greekappi
macrumors member

professional calibration

Where exactly does one get this professional calibration done? How much does it cost? Is there an agency that does this?
greekappi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:22 PM   #32
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekappi View Post
Where exactly does one get this professional calibration done? How much does it cost? Is there an agency that does this?
Usually through a local AV dealer that sells higher end equipment. I'm sure costs vary tremendously depending on what you have done.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:24 PM   #33
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

Quote:
Can't agree. Various web sites publish TV settings that they believe give the best picture. I tried a few of them and all are better than the straight out of the box settings which tend to be over saturated and garish. But I then tried the professionally obtained settings that someone kindly posted, There was a difference. The pro settings were more natural and gave more detail.
Dc2006ster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:28 PM   #34
cube
macrumors G3

It looks like the app does not support "4.0 virtual 5.1" systems.
cube is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:44 PM   #35
Jamez1502
macrumors newbie

This really needs to support 7.1 systems
Jamez1502 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:44 PM   #36
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Imaging Science Foundation is the best source (list of ISF dealers (Flash)). Be warned that video calibration costs about $300 for first video input type (e.g., HDMI) and $100 for each additional type (e.g., component video input). ISF calibration does a lot more than simple calibration that THX offers, such as all-important gray scale level and black level.

In my experience, THX-certified or TVs with ISF mode, notably mid to high-end models from LG, have very accurate settings out of the box (although you will want to do at least DIY adjustments due to manufacturing variance).
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:23 PM   #37
peterh988
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dckcentaur View Post

You need to turn mirroring on on your phone to get the adjustment screen to show on the TV

Double click the home button to get to the bottom menu where you can select or close (wiggly) apps, swipe L-R twice, and use the airplay symbol found there to turn mirroring on (and off again when you,ve done!)
peterh988 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:38 PM   #38
binaryskies
macrumors regular

You can always go through Geek Squad to get it calibrated. The THX app is pretty cool tho. I had my TV calibrated by Geek Squad (with a discount due to me working for Geek Squad) and its night and day difference.
binaryskies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:38 PM   #39
dckcentaur
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh988 View Post
You need to turn mirroring on on your phone to get the adjustment screen to show on the TV

Double click the home button to get to the bottom menu where you can select or close (wiggly) apps, swipe L-R twice, and use the airplay symbol found there to turn mirroring on (and off again when you,ve done!)
Thanks in the app it said Apple TV (mirroring on) so I was looking for a setting in Apple TV . I never really use AirPlay besides for music from my Mac . Learn something new everyday
dckcentaur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:00 PM   #40
xraytech
macrumors 68020

I'm impressed with the Monitor Calibration functionality where it uses the rear facing camera as a Colorimiter. Very very accurate.
xraytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:21 AM   #41
malexandria
macrumors 6502

Might as well just use a Blu-ray Calibration Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinevolvo View Post
Very cool. Though the 49 dollars apple wants for the cable, not so much.
Love the concept but not sure how this works. I tried Airplay for a week and it was a terrible experience, not sure how calibrating a TV via Airplay would work, and then $49 for an adapter? No thank you. I bought the Digital Essentials Blu-ray off of Amazon last year for $30.
malexandria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:39 AM   #42
BryanLyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaker122586 View Post
Am I really the only person here who has had their TV professionally calibrated?
It makes a ton of difference in the colors.
I don't have a full surround system, so I can't comment on that.
I've had a couple of TV's calibrated. Made a huge improvement over the settings that I did manually.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:02 AM   #43
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
In my experience, THX-certified or TVs with ISF mode, notably mid to high-end models from LG, have very accurate settings out of the box (although you will want to do at least DIY adjustments due to manufacturing variance).
Or, enable this mode in Service Menu.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:55 AM   #44
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Here is a thread at AVS Forums with some recommendations. You can expect to pay somewhere around $300 for a pro calibration.

Just to add to the chorus, totally worth it if you have a quality TV set. Maybe not so much on a $349 Westinghouse LCD TV.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:55 PM   #45
musio
macrumors 68000

Anyone had an improvement from using the app? No optoma brand in the app yet. Missing those projectors.
musio is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion