Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1
RylanH16
macrumors member

Question To buy or not to buy

I have an 8gb iPod touch 4g. It still works but its pretty slow and lags a lot because it has an old A4 chip. I also have barely any room left on (last time I checked I had 37 megabytes free on it). So I was considering purchasing a new one, but didn't know if I should wait for the 6th gen or get the 5th gen or just stick with my 4th gen. I was kinda hesitant to get the 5th gen because it doesn't have a brightness sensor which is weird in my opinion.
RylanH16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:05 PM   #2
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanH16 View Post
I have an 8gb iPod touch 4g. It still works but its pretty slow and lags a lot because it has an old A4 chip. I also have barely any room left on (last time I checked I had 37 megabytes free on it). So I was considering purchasing a new one, but didn't know if I should wait for the 6th gen or get the 5th gen or just stick with my 4th gen. I was kinda hesitant to get the 5th gen because it doesn't have a brightness sensor which is weird in my opinion.
Yeah, there isnt gonna be a 6th gen for a while I suppose, so update if you see it necessary. Or just get a 4th gen with more space.
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:28 PM   #3
hoodedwarbler12
macrumors member

The lack of brightness sensor doesn't bother me because the 5g is my first iOS device, so I've never used one that actually has a sensor. I really don't notice it that much. When the screen is too bright, I turn down the brightness. When it's too dark, I turn it up. Doesn't take more than a few seconds, and it's worth it to be this thin and light.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4
andyx3x
macrumors 65816

I would buy one of the new ones if you can. They are really, really sweet.
andyx3x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:45 AM   #5
urban.spaceman
macrumors member

I would strongly recommend updating. The upgrade in quality is immense - the screen is amazing quality; really incredible for an iPod. The battery and performance is also outstanding, and I still can't quite get over how thin and light it is.
urban.spaceman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Only wait for the 6th gen if you want to get the latest hardware in a 16gb size. It will most likely be coming out in October. The 32gb and 64gb will most likely only be getting minor updates (color etc.) for the 6th gen (I doubt the ambient light sensor will be returning).

As others have stated, the IPT 5 is amazing and I wouldn't hesitate in getting one.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:35 PM   #7
tonyr6
macrumors 6502

Just updated my slow POS 4th gen iPod Touch for the 5th gen. Man is this thing so much faster. I thought that the 4th gen screen looked good but the 5th gen looks much better. I also love how I can use 5 Ghz as I have 69 routers in my neighborhood and even just streaming music on 2.4 Ghz it will drop out.
tonyr6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:46 PM   #8
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

I would upgrade. You get the A5 chip which still has some life left in it (apple is currently selling five A5 devices and only two A6 devices.). Its snappy, has a gorgeous IPS display, solid camera and all of the latest iOS features. A solid buy for $299 with 32gb of storage. We likely wont see an updated iPod touch until September or October if that. Apple went two years before updating the 4th gen. The 5th gen touch is a solid device that will last you quite a while.
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Yep, get it. I always had the brightness sensor turned off on my 2nd or 4th gen, so I don't miss it.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:07 AM   #10
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanH16 View Post
Don't wait for something new to be released, except possibly just before something like WWDC, or just before Apple announces a media event. When 6th gen is released, you could again wait for the 7th gen and never buy anything new.

The question isn't which generation, the question is how much money does it cost, and how much additional enjoyment will a new iPod give you. You could also look at alternatives: Refurbished iPod, an iPad mini, or in countries that are not ruled by phone companies, look on eBay for a used iPhone 4 or 4S.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch