Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
It appears that Mountain Lion is not allowing me to update the default open-with app of a document (in the Get Info panel). I am logged in to my Mac administrator account.

I use Parallels Desktop to run Windows on my Mac. Typically, I can double-click a Windows document on the Mac and it opens in Windows. Recently, documents have been saved (in Windows) in the format of the new version of their application (v11). In addition, I have updated the "Open with:" application in these files' Get Info panel to that new version (by selecting "[appname]v11.app" from the pop-up).

Unfortunately, this change isn't sticking. If I double-click the document on the Mac, it still attempts to open in the old version (v9) of the Windows app. And when I check that document's Get Info panel again, it shows "[appname]v9.app" in the "Open with:" pop-up. It happens with every document I try.

Does anyone know why this isn't working? Thanks very much for any ideas.

alec6542

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
It appears that Mountain Lion is not allowing me to update the default open-with app of a document (in the Get Info panel). I am logged in to my Mac administrator account.

I use Parallels Desktop to run Windows on my Mac. Typically, I can double-click a Windows document on the Mac and it opens in Windows. Recently, documents have been saved (in Windows) in the format of the new version of their application (v11). In addition, I have updated the "Open with:" application in these files' Get Info panel to that new version (by selecting "[appname]v11.app" from the pop-up).

Unfortunately, this change isn't sticking. If I double-click the document on the Mac, it still attempts to open in the old version (v9) of the Windows app. And when I check that document's Get Info panel again, it shows "[appname]v9.app" in the "Open with:" pop-up. It happens with every document I try.

Does anyone know why this isn't working? Thanks very much for any ideas.

Trying holding down the option key when you control-click (or right click) the app, and "open with" should turn into "always open with"

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Thanks for the idea...but it doesn't work. "Open with:" doesn't change when using control-click, and file behavior remains the same. Could there be a plist or other preference-type file that is causing the problem?

Thanks again...

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I am not a "Windows guy" but maybe the problem is that you have two versions of the same Windows application residing on Windows?

Plus, this is really more of a Parallels problem than a ML one. You should repost your problem on the Parallels Support forum and let us know back here if they came up with a solution!

Be sure you give them all the facts: name of application, two versions on hard drive, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.