Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:26 PM   #1
mcrain
Banned

White House abandons war on Terror - Replaces with war on FoxNews.

Quote:
There is no war on terror for the Obama White House, but there is one on Fox News.

In a recent interview with The New Republic, President Obama was back to his grousing about the one television news outlet in America that won’t fall in line and treat him as emperor. Discussing breaking Washington's partisan gridlock, the president told TNR,"If a Republican member of Congress is not punished on Fox News...for working with a Democrat on a bill of common interest, then you’ll see more of them doing it."

Alas, the president loves to whine about the media meanies at Fox News. To him, these are not people trying to do their jobs. No, they are out to get him. What other motive could a journalist have in holding a president accountable? Why oh why do Ed Henry and Chris Wallace insist on asking hard questions? Make them stop!
In October 2009, as part of an Obama administration onslaught against Fox News,White House senior adviser David Axelrod said on ABC’s “This Week” that the Fox News Channel is "not really a news station" and that much of the programming is "not really news."
During the initial launch of the war on Fox News in October 2009, then-White House Communications Director Anita Dunn told the New York Times of Fox News, “[W]e don’t need to pretend that this is the way that legitimate news organizations behave.” On CNN, she declared that Fox was a “wing of the Republican Party.” Then: “let's not pretend they're a news network the way CNN is."

Gosh, this sounds so familiar. In fact, it’s exactly the line that Media Matters used in a 2010 memo to donors: “Fox News is not a news organization. It is the de facto leader of the GOP, and it is long past time that it is treated as such by the media, elected officials and the public.”

FoxNews.
Did you know that the President was on a mission to destroy FoxNews? If not, read this...
mcrain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Peace
macrumors P6

You lost me with the link to Faux News.
Peace is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:30 PM   #3
niuniu
Banned

Ah the old, 'free speech means mega-rich Corps can brainwash the population' chestnut.
niuniu is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:31 PM   #4
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

FoxNews is terror!!
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
FoxNews is terror!!
FoxNews is terrible.

Fixed.
Peace is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:32 PM   #6
mcrain
Banned

No! Fox News is protecting the rights of the little people.
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:34 PM   #7
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

LIVEFRMNYC is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Really faux news is claiming that their crap is news and punish GOP who work with the dems...

Really faux news is fake news. At least MSNBC at least semi backs their stuff up with facts but I still do not call it a good source either.

I think it is sad faux news whins when they are called out on their BS that they do.
Rodimus Prime is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:35 PM   #9
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
No! Fox News is protecting the rights of the little people.
No! Fox News is manipulating the thoughts of the little-minded people.

(edited for truth)
eawmp1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:42 PM   #10
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Really faux news is claiming that their crap is news and punish GOP who work with the dems...

Really faux news is fake news. At least MSNBC at least semi backs their stuff up with facts but I still do not call it a good source either.

I think it is sad faux news whins when they are called out on their BS that they do.

There is no equivalency between FOX and MSNBC. Yes, both are partisan but MSNBC doesn't deny it and hide behind some slogan. They also employ several conservative on air personalities and have no qualms criticizing the Democrats or Obama. FOX, on the other hand, is nothing more than the mouthpiece for the Republican Party.
rdowns is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Ah the old, 'free speech means mega-rich Corps can brainwash the population' chestnut.
I still wonder why Fox hasn't been taken to task for rabble rousing. It's a potentially nice loophole to use against them if they ever stir up too much trouble and try to justify it by hiding behind the first.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I still wonder why Fox hasn't been taken to task for rabble rousing. It's a potentially nice loophole to use against them if they ever stir up too much trouble and try to justify it by hiding behind the first.
I don't disagree but might as well toss out all corporate media in that case.
Orange Crane is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
There is no equivalency between FOX and MSNBC. Yes, both are partisan but MSNBC doesn't deny it and hide behind some slogan. They also employ several conservative on air personalities and have no qualms criticizing the Democrats or Obama. FOX, on the other hand, is nothing more than the mouthpiece for the Republican Party.
very true.

Fox news unFair and not Balanced
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:55 PM   #14
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crane View Post
I don't disagree but might as well toss out all corporate media in that case.
I disagree. fox news tends to incite hatred and other bad things. Much more than msnbc and cnn put together.
Peace is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:17 PM   #15
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I disagree. fox news tends to incite hatred and other bad things. Much more than msnbc and cnn put together.
I also disagree. There has to be a line, and in my mind Fox News crosses it.

They should be re-classed as entertainment.
niuniu is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:32 PM   #16
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I disagree. msnbc and cnn put together tend to incite hatred and other bad things. Much more than fox news.

...and that's the problem: for all the demands of "diversity, equality, liberality", opposing views are demonized and degraded with intent to censor. You may look at what I just wrote as stupid/evil, yet a large fraction of our population agrees with that sentiment - not because they're stupid/evil, but because they're reasonable decent people who just happen to adhere to some reasonably different principles.

Unfortunately, for all the demands for "diversity, equality, liberality", the Left views the Right as mortal enemies and is rallying for their oppression, going so far as calling for killing NRA leaders, silencing of Rush Limbaugh and Fox News, confiscation of long lawfully (and safely!) owned arms, demonization of the "tea party" with unwarranted slurs, etc. - instead of extending tolerance and understanding and celebrating diversity. That our President is exacerbating this difference instead of bridging it is very distressing.
ctdonath is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:51 PM   #17
aerok
macrumors 65816

Fox News is a necessity, how else would the Daily Show and the Colbert Report remain entertaining?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:00 PM   #18
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Fox News is a necessity, how else would the Daily Show and the Colbert Report remain entertaining?
Well Rush Limbaugh would still spout plenty of amusing BS.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:05 PM   #19
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
I disagree. msnbc and cnn put together tend to incite hatred and other bad things. Much more than fox news.

...and that's the problem: for all the demands of "diversity, equality, liberality", opposing views are demonized and degraded with intent to censor. You may look at what I just wrote as stupid/evil, yet a large fraction of our population agrees with that sentiment - not because they're stupid/evil, but because they're reasonable decent people who just happen to adhere to some reasonably different principles.

Unfortunately, for all the demands for "diversity, equality, liberality", the Left views the Right as mortal enemies and is rallying for their oppression, going so far as calling for killing NRA leaders, silencing of Rush Limbaugh and Fox News, confiscation of long lawfully (and safely!) owned arms, demonization of the "tea party" with unwarranted slurs, etc. - instead of extending tolerance and understanding and celebrating diversity. That our President is exacerbating this difference instead of bridging it is very distressing.
You really can't play the golden boy card in this situation. What do you have to compare it against? The Republicans? Who have always tried to tell us the truth every chance they get? Who have kept an honest, straight face, and merely turned the other cheek when attacked by the Liberal Media? You have absolutely no way you can claim the things you did above, and keep a straight face about it. I can list 15,000 instances where either Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, whoever, have bent, spinned, and distorted the truth into a flat out mockery of itself to make their party look good and demonize the opposition.

And what proof do you have to play against the Liberal Media (that supposedly controls the nation, depending on who you ask). That one shrill editorial calling for the death of all NRA members? Yeah, that was tactless. Pretty crappy. Whoever said it should've been smacked upside their head. But what else do you have? As far as I can tell, that nit has been picked into a strand by this point. There's no reason to bring it up, because it's one lone example that proves absolutely nothing save this one particular liberal has a violent streak. Now the Conservative Media, they're screaming about Barack HUSSEIN Obama changing the second amendment, wanting circumvent the constitution to take away our guns. To start up a registry for...I dunno...POGROMS. It's absolute hysterics. It's pathetic, and doing absolutely nothing good for the country as a whole. It's not even very American.

So is the liberal media pure as the driven snow? No. I think the left can be equally as tactless and prone to melodrama as the right. Hell, I've seen some Pro-Choicers go so far as to claim they consider Pro-Lifers to be subhuman. There are asses on both sides of the fence. The biggest difference is the right seems to take an us or them approach every chance they get, and loves. LOVES. to stir up panic. Nothing is ever "I don't agree with this". It's always "ROADWORK? THAT'S DISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH! WE SHOULD RUN THESE UNAMERICANS OUT OF THE COUNTRY BEFORE THEY TURN US INTO COMMUNIST RUSSIA". It's Like they consider McCarthyism the end all be all of American politics.

Don't believe me? Just look at anything Michelle Bachmann has said during her entire career. The woman is claiming Barack HUSSEIN Obama is secretly trying to convert us all to Sharia Law and convert us to Islam while orchestrating the downfall of Israel. On what proof? Well...there's his name, right? And there are a few Muslims working in the higher echelons of DC. What more proof do you need, right?

The fact an elected official would claim these things should scare the absolute hell out of you. The last thing you should be doing is supporting her simply because she's playing for the same political team you are. It's not goddamn football. The clinically insane do not belong in politics.

Once again, it's pathetic.
Renzatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:49 PM   #20
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

I'm not sure if any one mentioned that this is an Op-ed piece. Its no worse than when Keith Olbermann once suggested that "George W hates kids".

Just FYI this thread is stupid. See ya
obeygiant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:58 PM   #21
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
I'm not sure if any one mentioned that this is an Op-ed piece. Its no worse than when Keith Olbermann once suggested that "George W hates kids".

W all know Olbermann is one of the biggest blowhards on TV but is this all you got? A 6 year old clip of a guy who's unemployed? Surely that nut on MSNBC at 8pm has said some crazy ****.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:31 PM   #22
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
... yet a large fraction of our population agrees with that sentiment ...
Understandably, I think you may be confusing "large" with "loud".

Quote:
… the Left views the Right as mortal enemies and is rallying for their oppression …
To me, this sounds like classic projection. I mean, what did Barack H. Obama do when he got into office, make every effort to demonize and marginalize the Republicans? No, he tried to work with them. And his outstretched hand is still bleeding from where they bit into it, hard. The left would be happy to work with the right but can get no coöperation. It seems like the right thinks that the eagle can fly with one wing.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:15 PM   #23
astrorider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post

Except this op-ed from Fox News is written by a liberal, so it carries a little more credence than an Olbermann straw man against Bush.
Quote:
In fact, if you are a liberal – as I am – you should be the most offended, as liberalism is founded on the idea of cherishing dissent and an inviolable right to freedom of expression.
That more liberals aren't calling out the White House for this outrageous behavior tells you something about the state of liberalism in America today.
Sure, everyone understands how some of Fox's opinion programming would get under President Obama's skin, the same way MSNBC from 4pm until closing time is not the favorite stop for Republicans. But it's not okay -- or presidential -- to continue smearing an entire network of hard working journalists because you are mad at Sean Hannity.
astrorider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:27 PM   #24
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Yeah, Obama is punishing FOX so much that he's letting Hillary go on Great Van Sustren's show.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:31 PM   #25
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
Except this op-ed from Fox News is written by a liberal, so it carries a little more credence than an Olbermann straw man against Bush.
Just read about her, she's very liberal. Kind of a shock to see her write for Fox News.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/...dministration/

And she's hot!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues