Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:41 PM   #26
vega07
macrumors 65816

Didn't Karl Rove just get re-hired as a senior/whatever correspondent/advisor (I forget the name)?

How you can you hire someone who contributed hundreds of millions to Romney's campaign, and who on election night refused to accept that Obama won, and still call yourself FAIR and BALANCED?

Denial is a dangerous thing.
vega07 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:10 AM   #27
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
Did you know that the President was on a mission to destroy FoxNews? If not, read this...
Hardly a reliable source.

EDIT: It occurred to me you are most likely being sarcastic...I hope.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
I disagree. msnbc and cnn put together tend to incite hatred and other bad things. Much more than fox news.

...and that's the problem: for all the demands of "diversity, equality, liberality", opposing views are demonized and degraded with intent to censor. You may look at what I just wrote as stupid/evil, yet a large fraction of our population agrees with that sentiment - not because they're stupid/evil, but because they're reasonable decent people who just happen to adhere to some reasonably different principles.

Unfortunately, for all the demands for "diversity, equality, liberality", the Left views the Right as mortal enemies and is rallying for their oppression, going so far as calling for killing NRA leaders, silencing of Rush Limbaugh and Fox News, confiscation of long lawfully (and safely!) owned arms, demonization of the "tea party" with unwarranted slurs, etc. - instead of extending tolerance and understanding and celebrating diversity. That our President is exacerbating this difference instead of bridging it is very distressing.
All made up in your head I'm sorry to say. I read all kinds of news daily and NOTHING comes close to inciting hatred and idiocracy like Fox, except maybe Weekly World News which is not surprising as they are on the same journalistic level.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:44 AM   #28
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

I'd rather watch msnbc. It has more idiots and they say more amusing and idiotic stuff.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:21 AM   #29
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Fox News is not taken seriously outside the US, at all. Pretty much every one of their faux-pas is reported in a jokey way making them even less reputable as a news outlet. Their written articles are even worse, just like this one. The Onion has more believable content.
Andeavor is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:45 AM   #30
MagicBoy
macrumors 65816

FoxNews reporting on themselves? FAIL.

They're about as credible as the local nutter running around with conspiracy theories written on a sandwich board harranging people in the local shopping centre.

Last time I was in the states the most entertaining thing on the TV was Fox News. It's like they live in a different universe to the rest of the planet.

RIP : Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz HR-AG with dead GPU
MagicBoy is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:10 AM   #31
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
Last time I was in the states the most entertaining thing on the TV was Fox News. It's like they live in a different universe to the rest of the planet.
Really is like they're on another universe. I remember the confusion and amusement felt when watching the US news as a boy in Orlando. Over here we get annoyed if the tone is biased, or if something is repeated too often. Regulators step in if an opposing point of view isn't aired over the news and people complain. Every weekend we get a programme that covers the mistakes the news made and complaints that viewers reported. I wrote a lengthy complaint to the Beeb over the rolling coverage of Kate's baby and the incessant Jubilee news.

To watch something like Fox News, it's not annoying to a Brit or any European. We have shows like that, we call it satire, and it's a hugely popular type of comedy.
niuniu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:39 PM   #32
vega07
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Really is like they're on another universe. I remember the confusion and amusement felt when watching the US news as a boy in Orlando. Over here we get annoyed if the tone is biased, or if something is repeated too often. Regulators step in if an opposing point of view isn't aired over the news and people complain. Every weekend we get a programme that covers the mistakes the news made and complaints that viewers reported. I wrote a lengthy complaint to the Beeb over the rolling coverage of Kate's baby and the incessant Jubilee news.

To watch something like Fox News, it's not annoying to a Brit or any European. We have shows like that, we call it satire, and it's a hugely popular type of comedy.
Why can't the US be like this?
vega07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:01 PM   #33
zioxide
macrumors 603

The "strategy to delegitimize the news organization"???

really?

You can't "delegitimize" something that was never legitimate in the first place.

TMZ is more credible in their reporting than these ****ing clowns.
zioxide is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:06 PM   #34
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Wow...this is quite the liberal gathering in here.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:53 PM   #35
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
Wow...this is quite the liberal gathering in here.
Sadly these days liberal politics are better backed up by the facts. It makes it harder for conservatives to follow the rules of the forum.
Eraserhead is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:06 PM   #36
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post

All made up in your head I'm sorry to say. I read all kinds of news daily and NOTHING comes close to inciting hatred and idiocracy like Fox, except maybe Weekly World News which is not surprising as they are on the same journalistic level.
I wonder If this is all a matter of mass hysteria?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:12 PM   #37
zin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
...that the Fox News Channel is "not really a news station" and that much of the programming is "not really news.
But Fox News isn't a real news station. Quite frankly, almost everybody (certainly outside of the US) is very surprised millions of Americans still watch Fox News.

It is also more than cringe-worthy that their motto is, "Fair and Balanced".
zin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:21 PM   #38
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zin View Post
But Fox News isn't a real news station. Quite frankly, almost everybody (certainly outside of the US) is very surprised millions of Americans still watch Fox News.

Let's get one thing straight here. Very few Americans watch FOX News. Their highest rated show draws about 2 million viewers. They may have high ratings (as far as cable news goes), but they are not widely watched.
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:02 PM   #39
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Kirsten Powers may be a self-declared liberal...but you'd have a hard time knowing it from that column.

She also doesn't really refute anything of the things Obama or Axelrod or Media Matters said about Fox -- because they're pretty much true. She just contested their supposed professionalism in saying it.

Which is bunk. Everyone (except Powers, apparently) knows how the Fox/right wing media echo chamber works:

One of them (like Fox) asks a purposely misleading or ambiguous question: "Does Obama want to invade Canada?" And the next thing you know, Limbaugh is saying that Fox is reporting that Obama might invade Canada. Then Beck picks up on it and says that "everyone" is saying that Obama has plans to invade Canada, and columnists in The American Spectator and Breitbart's sites are writing opinions about how Obama's invasion plans prove that he's a communist.

And the next time you go on Facebook, there's another paste-and-post from your brother-in-law, grousing about that goddam Canuck-hater Barack HUSSEIN Obama.

This is what passes for news and political discourse in America.
Thomas Veil is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:56 AM   #40
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Veil View Post
Everyone (except Powers, apparently) knows how the Fox/right wing media echo chamber works:

One of them (like Fox) asks a purposely misleading or ambiguous question: "Does Obama want to invade Canada" And the next thing you know, Limbaugh is saying that Fox is reporting that Obama might invade Canada. Then Beck picks up on it and says that "everyone" is saying that Obama has plans to invade Canada, and columnists in The American Spectator and Breitbart's sites are writing opinions about how Obama's invasion plans prove that he's a communist.

And the next time you go on Facebook, there's another paste-and-post from your brother-in-law, grousing about that goddam Canuck-hater Barack HUSSEIN Obama.

This is what passes for news and political discourse in America.
A great example of how this was put to use for political gain was the swiftboat BS that the right-wing echo chamber drummed into the brains of the uninformed.
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:36 AM   #41
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
A great example of how this was put to use for political gain was the swiftboat BS that the right-wing echo chamber drummed into the brains of the uninformed.
If you want a more current one, how about the gang that didn't want gays in the military now being worried Chuck Hagel won't be nice to gays in the military. You can't make this stuff up.
rdowns is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:07 AM   #42
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zin View Post

Even most of the people in the U.S. who do watch Fox News know it isn't news. But, sadly, they do consider it entertaining.

People who are looking for actual news on TV gravitate to PBS, and, the BBC news, which is widely available on cable and via OTA on a secondary channel of a PBS station. PBS doesn't budget that much for news, so, there is really only one segment per day. If you are looking for something up-to-the-hour, sometimes the BBC will be on, or, NHK from Japan in some areas. Some people also swear by al-Jazeera, but, I can't stand their biased coverage of Israel and Hamas. RT (Russia Today) wasn't too bad when it first came out, but, more recently, its fawning coverage of Putin has become nauseating, and its silly view of the U.S. is starting to remind of "Soviet Life" back in the old days.

Let's face it. Television isn't really the best medium for delivering news.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:58 PM   #43
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
...People who are looking for actual news on TV gravitate to PBS...
Wow. I'd love to see your 'factual' source for this tidbit.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:30 PM   #44
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWizrd View Post
Wow. I'd love to see your 'factual' source for this tidbit.
Combine the PBS ratings with its abnormally high performance in every study that shows that its viewers are more knowledgeable, or less stupid, or less ignorant, than other viewers, and you have a pretty strong argument.

You'd already know that if you watched PBS.

(edit) Or just remembered the half dozen threads on this exact same topic that have been here over the last year or so.

Last edited by mcrain; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
mcrain is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:52 PM   #45
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Combine the PBS ratings with its abnormally high performance in every study that shows that its viewers are more knowledgeable, or less stupid, or less ignorant, than other viewers, and you have a pretty strong argument.

You'd already know that if you watched PBS.
Since you have absolutely no idea what I might watch (or read, for that matter), I will ignore your uninformed conclusion.

In addition to my previous desire to see the 'facts' behind the totally unsubstantiated assertion by jnpy!$4g3cwk, I'd love to see yours as well regarding "... every study that shows that its viewers are more knowledgeable, or less stupid, or less ignorant...".

You do have documentation backing this up, yes? You wouldn't just make some 'reasonable' sounding assertion without having real facts in your pocket, would you?

Or would you?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:24 PM   #46
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Since you have absolutely no idea what I might watch (or read, for that matter), I will ignore your uninformed conclusion.

In addition to my previous desire to see the 'facts' behind the totally unsubstantiated assertion by jnpy!$4g3cwk, I'd love to see yours as well regarding "... every study that shows that its viewers are more knowledgeable, or less stupid, or less ignorant...".

You do have documentation backing this up, yes? You wouldn't just make some 'reasonable' sounding assertion without having real facts in your pocket, would you?

Or would you?
Are you honestly telling me you don't remember the studies that showed fox news viewers were the least informed, while PBS the highest? If not, there were numerous threads here (some of which I think you participated in).

This isn't something new, but merely a reference to something that was hashed out a hundred times before. It's not my fault you don't remember it. If you really need a cite, try google. Do a search for PBS vs. fox news facts.

Here is but one link to what is now an old story... Linky
mcrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:26 PM   #47
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Are you honestly telling me you don't remember the studies that showed fox news viewers were the least informed, while PBS the highest? If not, there were numerous threads here (some of which I think you participated in).

This isn't something new, but merely a reference to something that was hashed out a hundred times before. It's not my fault you don't remember it. If you really need a cite, try google. Do a search for PBS vs. fox news facts.
Oh, OK. The familiar "find it yourself if you're interested" defense.

Got it. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------

Just read your 'late' addition with the link. Did you even read the item you posted the link to? Did you read it all, or just the headline? Maybe you should go back and read it all.

Jeez you're entertaining.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:27 PM   #48
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Oh, OK. The familiar "find it yourself if you're interested" defense.

Got it. Thanks.
I found a link. You can also go back and look at MR threads on this exact same topic. It's a dead horse. EVERYONE here knows that FoxNews viewers statistically perform worse than PBS. I'm sorry I assumed you might remember that.

Here is an MR thread on this EXACT TOPIC, and if you look at the bottom, there are other threads on the EXACT SAME TOPIC.

(I do note that you have no response to the statement, you just are upset that I made it.)
mcrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:38 PM   #49
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I found a link. You can also go back and look at MR threads on this exact same topic. It's a dead horse. EVERYONE here knows that FoxNews viewers statistically perform worse than PBS. I'm sorry I assumed you might remember that.

Here is an MR thread on this EXACT TOPIC, and if you look at the bottom, there are other threads on the EXACT SAME TOPIC.

(I do note that you have no response to the statement, you just are upset that I made it.)
Oh my gosh... you've found me out. I have no response and I'm just upset. Perhaps I will take one of my pistols and shoot myself out of frustration (since I've been informed on this forum that statistically I'm bound to do that anyway).

Another dialogue with you that I will simply quit responding to, since it will serve no purpose and further no interest.

Until the next...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:41 PM   #50
webbuzz
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Reading that thread was sad. Have you done research into the FDU PublicMind poll?
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues