Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:48 PM   #51
mcrain
Thread Starter
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
Reading that thread was sad. Have you done research into the FDU PublicMind poll?
Why would I do research into it? I'm not vouching for it, I'm merely pointing out that there have been studies that show Fox News viewers are often times less informed and more ignorant of facts than viewers of other channels, especially PBS.

Do you dispute the conclusion, or do you just want to bicker about the studies? If so, I suggest you resurrect one of the old threads. That dead horse could certainly use a little more beating.

I again ask you CalWizrd, do you still dispute the statement that those who are looking for factual information gravitate to PBS? If so, do you have a basis for your claim? As I have shown, there is at least some basis for the statement you took umbridge with. Do you have ANYTHING other than "ratings" to show that people who want the FACTS gravitate elsewhere?

That is, after all, the crux of this discussion, or did you get distracted?
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:54 PM   #52
webbuzz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
Why would I do research into it? I'm not vouching for it, I'm merely pointing out that there have been studies that show Fox News viewers are often times less informed and more ignorant of facts than viewers of other channels, especially PBS.

Do you dispute the conclusion, or do you just want to bicker about the studies? If so, I suggest you resurrect one of the old threads. That dead horse could certainly use a little more beating.

I again ask you CalWizrd, do you still dispute the statement that those who are looking for factual information gravitate to PBS? If so, do you have a basis for your claim? As I have shown, there is at least some basis for the statement you took umbridge with. Do you have ANYTHING other than "ratings" to show that people who want the FACTS gravitate elsewhere?

That is, after all, the crux of this discussion, or did you get distracted?
Perfect response.
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:59 PM   #53
mcrain
Thread Starter
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
Perfect response.
No, that's a perfect response.

As I said before, if you, or anyone else, wants to beat a dead horse, there are threads on this topic. I'd be happy to engage there.
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:04 PM   #54
astrorider
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
Why would I do research into it? I'm not vouching for it, I'm merely pointing out that there have been studies that show Fox News viewers are often times less informed and more ignorant of facts than viewers of other channels, especially PBS.
Of course, everyone knows MSNBC and CNN viewers are the really dumb ones
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...news-are-most/
June 2010 Media Consumption Survey:
Quote:
Fox actually scored better than its two direct cable-news rivals -- MSNBC, which is a liberal counterpoint to Fox, and CNN, which is considered more middle-of-the-road. Also scoring lower than Fox were local television news, the evening network news shows and the network morning shows.
astrorider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:10 PM   #55
Moyank24
macrumors 68040
 
Moyank24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: in a New York State of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
Of course, everyone knows MSNBC and CNN viewers are the really dumb ones
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...news-are-most/
June 2010 Media Consumption Survey:
Frankly, anybody who gets their "opinions" and "beliefs" from any of these "news" channels isn't going to score very high on anything important. People who watch them are nothing more than parrots.
Moyank24 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:14 PM   #56
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
Frankly, anybody who gets their "opinions" and "beliefs" from any of these "news" channels isn't going to score very high on anything important. People who watch them are nothing more than parrots.
Agreed. So that really must tell you something about the general populace who watches this swill.

Personally, I *might* watch local news for local issues only, and the rest, and barely at that, is NPR and PBS.

Besides, with children, people shouldn't have time for the 24 hour news cycle. It's spending more time watching this and not enough with their kids that leads to kids getting fed up with no parental interaction at home that they get involved with prostitution, or worse, shoot up a school or theater.

BL.
bradl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:16 PM   #57
webbuzz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
Frankly, anybody who gets their "opinions" and "beliefs" from any of these "news" channels isn't going to score very high on anything important. People who watch them are nothing more than parrots.
Very well said.
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:47 PM   #58
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
I found this interesting. Do you think any anchor on FOX would do anything like this?


Quote:
Partisan opinion journalism gets a bad rap, but it is often more informative and nearly always more compelling than so-called straight news broadcasts. Conservative columnist Jonah Goldberg may have said it best when he recently admonished The New Republic for feigning objectivity. “Good opinion journalism, I’ve long argued, is superior to most “objective” journalism, precisely because it makes an honest argument,” Goldberg wrote. He was not speaking of MSNBC host Rachel Maddow’s evening news broadcast at the time, but he could have been. No other host on the network so regularly eschews red meat in favor of tackling complicated or inconvenient subjects. There is perhaps no better example of Maddow’s facility for delving into topics anathema to the other hosts on her network than last night, when she broke MSNBC’s silence about the rapidly sprawling scandal facing Sen. Robert Menendez.

On Wednesday night, Maddow invited co-host of The Cycle, Steve Kornacki, on her program where they became the first MSNBC hosts to open the subject of Menendez’s scandal, which allegedly involves his patronization of underage prostitutes in the Dominican Republic. Though the allegations facing Menendez were not discussed, the courage it takes to open up a subject that the senator himself is dismissing as having been “manufactured” by a “right-wing blog” merits applause.

Before Maddow’s broadcast, most major news outlets, including MSNBC, had maintained a conspicuous silence about the allegations Menendez faces. Conspicuous, in part, because the potential to put the words “scandal,” “underage,” “prostitution,” and “U.S. Senator” into the same headline is a temptation that few in the media can, or should, be able to resist.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:03 PM   #59
webbuzz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Do you think Maddow would do this if Menendez was a member of any other party than Democrat?
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:11 PM   #60
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
Do you think Maddow would do this if Menendez was a member of any other party than Democrat?
From the little I've seen of her show, I'd lean yes. She may be partisan but she is fair. Personally, I can't stand her, I find her to be way too smug.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:15 PM   #61
webbuzz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
From the little I've seen of her show, I'd lean yes. She may be partisan but she is fair. Personally, I can't stand her, I find her to be way too smug.
It would be interesting to see, doubt that she would. I agree that she is smug.
webbuzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:34 PM   #62
AhmedFaisal
Guest
 
<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
  3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:48 PM   #63
webbuzz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
Fox News is the US equivalent of Der Stuermer and Rupert Murdoch is a modern day Julius Streicher. As vile, racist and xenophobic as the original.
What are CNN and MSNBC?
webbuzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:05 PM   #64
AhmedFaisal
Guest
 
<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:16 PM   #65
webbuzz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
a mix of errorprone Reuters reprint carriers and brainless entertainment jockeys. Those two ate just stupid attention whores, Fox has an agenda.
To say that MSNBC does not have an agenda is hilarious.
webbuzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:20 PM   #66
niuniu
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A man of the people. The right sort of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
To say that MSNBC does not have an agenda is hilarious.
He didn't actually say that
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:22 PM   #67
webbuzz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
He didn't actually say that
He didn't have to.
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:22 PM   #68
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
To say that MSNBC does not have an agenda is hilarious.
There is no equivalency between FOX and MSNBC. MSNBC has an agenda but they don't hide it. They often report on Democrats in a negative light and employ at least 2 conservative hosts. FOX is nothing more than the mouthpiece of the Republican Party and regularly tells flat out lies.
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:28 PM   #69
webbuzz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
There is no equivalency between FOX and MSNBC. MSNBC has an agenda but they don't hide it. They often report on Democrats in a negative light and employ at least 2 conservative hosts.
All three of the cable networks CNN, MSNBC, and FOX have contributors/hosts from both parties.

Quote:
FOX is nothing more than the mouthpiece of the Republican Party and regularly tells flat out lies.
I forget they sued for the right to lie.
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:33 PM   #70
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
All three of the cable networks CNN, MSNBC, and FOX have contributors/hosts from both parties.
I know they all use "contributors" from both sides but I'm not aware of any lefty hosts of any show on FOX. MSNBC has Joe Scarborough and SE Cupp.



Quote:
I forget they sued for the right to lie.
Still blows my mind.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:54 PM   #71
webbuzz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I know they all use "contributors" from both sides but I'm not aware of any lefty hosts of any show on FOX. MSNBC has Joe Scarborough and SE Cupp.
Joe is more RINO than anything. FOX has Bob Beckel as a host, not sure of others.

Quote:
Still blows my mind.
I bet.
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:57 PM   #72
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
Joe is more RINO than anything. FOX has Bob Beckel as a host, not sure of others.

I've only heard that term thrown at him after he came out for gun control after Newtown.

I agree with him on a lot. He's the kind of Republican I used to vote for.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:48 AM   #73
mcrain
Thread Starter
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
From the little I've seen of her show, I'd lean yes. She may be partisan but she is fair. Personally, I can't stand her, I find her to be way too smug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
It would be interesting to see, doubt that she would. I agree that she is smug.
It's not smug, it's just correct. She ruthlessly researches the facts she uses on her show. It's not smug, it's just right. If you disagree with her, I double dog dare you to do better research. She was a Rhodes Scholor for a reason. When she's been wrong, she's admitted it. She will go to incredible lengths to explain her point of view, and why she has it.

You may not like her; there are days I do not, but you cannot dispute her ability to report and then crystilize the news and its meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
He didn't have to.
Yes, you had your mind made up long before he said anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
Joe is more RINO than anything. FOX has Bob Beckel as a host, not sure of others.
I'm sorrry, but I don't think you even know what RINO means. If you are saying "Republican in name only" then I wonder whether you know what Republicans stand for, or at least used to stand for. I grew up around real conservatives. Real Republicans. Not these new-age neo-con jerkoffs who think everything revolves around whatever the pastor of the month at whatever born again church is the flavor of the week.

I believe in separation of church and state, and I wonder about these neocons who think it's ok to try to demand that everyone else live by their religious code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I've only heard that term thrown at him after he came out for gun control after Newtown.

I agree with him on a lot. He's the kind of Republican I used to vote for.
Me too.

(edit) I also like Scott Brown and Chris Christie.

Last edited by mcrain; Feb 1, 2013 at 08:54 AM.
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:53 AM   #74
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
It's not smug, it's just correct. She ruthlessly researches the facts she uses on her show. It's not smug, it's just right. If you disagree with her, I double dog dare you to do better research. She was a Rhodes Scholor for a reason. When she's been wrong, she's admitted it. She will go to incredible lengths to explain her point of view, and why she has it.

Forgive me counselor, are you arguing that she's ruthless in checking her facts and is just right or that she admits when she gets it wrong? Because Google is full of videos where she had to correct her ruthless research and her rightness. Can't have it both ways.

http://www.google.com/#q=rachel+madd...pw.r_qf.&cad=b
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:57 AM   #75
mcrain
Thread Starter
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Forgive me counselor, are you arguing that she's ruthless in checking her facts and is just right or that she admits when she gets it wrong? Because Google is full of videos where she had to correct her ruthless research and her rightness. Can't have it both ways.

http://www.google.com/#q=rachel+madd...pw.r_qf.&cad=b
Oh, actually, I can have it both ways. She ruthlessly researches her materials. She actually posts her information online before her show. She then does her show, but if she is proven wrong later, then she actually goes on the air and explains that she was wrong and why.

That's called integrity.

(edit) Wait a second, did you really just post a link proving my point? Thanks.
(edit2) Yes, that's why I have won more cases than I lost. I expected anyone who disagreed with me to point out the times she was wrong and had to admit it as "proof" she's not always right. What you seem to have ignored is that I never claimed she was always right, but that she researches her material, and when she has been wrong admitted it.

In other words, your argument is just that she has more integrity than anyone in the right-wing echo chamber.

(edit3) Well done, you made my argument better than I could have made it. Thanks.
mcrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US Naval War War College Releases Adm. Nimitz's WWII Diary ucfgrad93 Current Events 4 Mar 2, 2014 12:12 AM
OS X: War Strategy USMCGRUNT Mac and PC Games 1 Apr 18, 2013 11:33 PM
OS X: Empire At War and 10.8.3 SingularityG Mac and PC Games 4 Apr 10, 2013 03:57 PM
Total War vs Rome Total War vs Civilization macuser1232 Mac and PC Games 11 Oct 8, 2012 03:30 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC