Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Previously I was using my Time Capsule as router for my wireless home network. Currently I'm using an Netgear CG3000 from my ISP.

Before, when I for instance used my Apple TV and choose to browse my iMac, it automatically woke up on demand, but after I changed to the Netgear router, this very nice feature was gone.

What should I change in the Netgear router to enable this? "Wake on LAN" is enabled in my iMac.

Previously my iMac was connected with an Ethernet cable, but now I'm using an wireless connection. Could that be the issue?

skewedview

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
No Wake on Wireless LAN

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but OS-X doesn't support wake on Wireless LAN. Apple does have a solution for "Wake on Demand," but your network has to be using a Time Capsule or an Airport Extreme to take advantage of that. Otherwise, an ethernet cable will be required for Wake on LAN.

For more info on Wake on Demand:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

----------

Just to clarify, I've only done basic research on this. I am unsure if there may be some workaround, but I looked a while back and couldn't find a decent solution.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
My solution

Set the screen to sleep like normal, tell the computer itself not to.

The screen seems to age faster and consume more power than the internals.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but OS-X doesn't support wake on Wireless LAN. Apple does have a solution for "Wake on Demand," but your network has to be using a Time Capsule or an Airport Extreme to take advantage of that. Otherwise, an ethernet cable will be required for Wake on LAN.

For more info on Wake on Demand:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

----------

Just to clarify, I've only done basic research on this. I am unsure if there may be some workaround, but I looked a while back and couldn't find a decent solution.

Thanks for your reply.
Currently my Time Capsule is just connected wireless to my Netgear router, to enable the access to the disk over the network.

Based on your answer, I guess that having an ethernet cable between my Netgear router and the Time Capsule, would allow me to wake my Mac over the air if either:
1) I create a new wireless network on the Time Capsule and let the Mac join this network.
2) I put the Netgear in bridge mode and use my Time Capsule as the default router and provider of the wireless network.

Sadly it is not that easy for me to just connect these routers using an ethernet cable. Would it be possible in any way to let the TC join my wireless network and publish a new ethernet network, which I can join on my Mac (they are in the same room)?

I also have an unused AirPort Express, if that device could be used for anything in this regard.

Under Energy Saver in System Preferences -> Wake for network access. Isn't that the setting you need?

I've done that.

Set the screen to sleep like normal, tell the computer itself not to.

The screen seems to age faster and consume more power than the internals.

That would solve my problem, but I do not like that the device should be turned on constantly.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
It's a known issue. If you don't mind your Imac not hibernating, ( it ail still sleep)

Open Terminal:

Type pmset -g

And post back

So the iMac will still sleep and be able to wake up over wireless network? How can I revert the above command?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.