QuarkXpress 6 Export as PDF Error - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Oct 7, 2005, 03:45 PM   #1
taj
macrumors newbie

QuarkXpress 6 Export as PDF Error

Any ideas why my 'Export as PDF' aborts with error message 10055, 10059 or 10060 approx. half way through the export every time? I've quit the app. and restarted from scratch - same thing. No info in 'Help' or my QuarkXpress 6 book. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks.
taj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 04:08 PM   #2
narco
macrumors 65816

How much space do you have on your hard drive?

Fishes,
narco.
narco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 04:12 PM   #3
taj
macrumors newbie

32 GB free of a total 100 GB
Old Oct 7, 2005, 05:35 PM   #4
ATD
macrumors 6502a

Try going to QuarkXPress / Preferences / PDF / and turn up the Virtual Memory.
ATD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 07:18 PM   #5
narco
macrumors 65816

Well, say you have a hundred page document, export 1-25 first, then 26-50, and so on. See if it does it then. It could be a font issue -- if a font doesn't work well with Quark or is corrupted, it might dump the entire PDF process. It has happened to me a couple times. If you can pinpoint the exact page that is messing up the entire process, change the fonts (or even images) around until it goes through.

Fishes,
narco.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:57 PM   #6
dornoforpyros
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to dornoforpyros Send a message via MSN to dornoforpyros
We have this same problem at work with Quark on our Windoz boxes. My only response is Quack Quack Quack
Old Oct 8, 2005, 12:49 PM   #7
decksnap
macrumors 68030

I can't answer your question, but the answer is usually 'well that's Quark for ya.'

I recommend you invest in Acrobat Professional and use Distiller to generate your PDFs from Quark postscript files. Much better control.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 08:32 PM   #8
taj
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input. It appears to have been the font issue. I did, indeed, have a corrupted Helvetica font and when I replaced it with a functional Helvetica it exported as a PDF perfectly. Cheers!
Old Oct 9, 2005, 12:52 PM   #9
narco
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj
Thanks for all the input. It appears to have been the font issue. I did, indeed, have a corrupted Helvetica font and when I replaced it with a functional Helvetica it exported as a PDF perfectly. Cheers!
Glad you got it fixed -- I thought it sounded like a font issue. Don't listen to the haters who say "that's quark for you" because it runs smoothly when used correctly.

Fishes,
narco.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 01:15 PM   #10
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
Don't listen to the haters who say "that's quark for you" because it runs smoothly when used correctly.

You have to be kidding.

It's my bread and butter app, has been for about 7-8 years and is one of the most unreliable pieces of software I've ever used... especially regarding the ludicrous price of it.

The PDF export is terrible. It was only until 6.5 when they fixed the problem of the postscript file going into the jaws/temp folder without being erased... not to mention the altering permissions of every file within the apps folder when installing, not to mention its inabilty to handle PDF v.1.5 especially with spot colours... not to mention its complete reluctance to handle a linked filename or path with folders comtaining more than 21 characters or so... not to mention not sending font postscript data to a shared RIP/printer.

Bloody hopeless -- decksnap is entirely correct. Printing postscript to Distiller is far more reliable.

If that makes me a hater, then it's from long bitter experience.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 03:34 PM   #11
ATD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Glad you got it fixed -- I thought it sounded like a font issue. Don't listen to the haters who say "that's quark for you" because it runs smoothly when used correctly.

Fishes,
narco.

Have to agree with Blue Velvet. I have been using Quark for over 15 years, the pace of development at Quark is slow, even downright lazy. Remember, this is the app that sidetracked OSX for years. I remember when they finally got a OSX version going, I ordered it immediately. It took months to come. When I asked the Quark rep what was taking so long she replied "You have to give us time". My reply was "OSX has been out for over 3 years, how much more time do you need?" I would hope they don't drag their feet on the Intel switch they way they did for OSX. As far as PDFs from Quark, I think that Adobe has some blame here. After all, I'm sure that Adobe doesn't want to deal Quark a full deck when they have their own design app.

Last edited by ATD; Oct 9, 2005 at 11:56 PM.
ATD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 07:52 AM   #12
decksnap
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Fishes,
narco.
You can call me a hater, but don't tell me I'm not using it correctly. I've been using it for about eight years now, and glitches and unreliability are the name of the game when it comes to Quark.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 08:09 AM   #13
Layer34
macrumors newbie

anyone that doesnt think quark is a piece of crap must need their head testing - i used it every single day and every single day i wish is could rip my eyes out of my head so i dont have to see any more quark errors or bugs.

And before you say use it correctly - I do!
5th Gen iPod 60GB White
Layer34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:39 PM   #14
narco
macrumors 65816

I didn't mean to say you are using it correctly, I should have rephrased my statement.

I've been using Quark for about 11 years now, and although I'll agree with everybody's problems with previous versions, I was referring to the newest 6.5 version. I would also like to clear things up about the PDF export -- I agree it's buggy in Quark, which is why I also use .ps files and Distiller.

I put together eight 100+ page magazines a month, and haven't had problems since 6.5. I don't personally know anyone else who uses Quark, so I am just speaking from my personal experience.

My apologies about the previous post.

Fishes,
narco.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics