Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giocav89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Hey everyone,

So I recently started ripping my blu-ray collection to add it to a media server. Ripping the Blu-Rays using MakeMKV is smooth and quick (about an hour tops per disc).

However, when trying to compress the 20~30GB file down in size a bit using handbreak, well that part is just brutal! Slimming these files down to 10~15GB into a MKV file takes 10 hours plus! Last night I started it and today after 15 hours, my computer just wasn't even responding. After shutting it down and restarting, I saw the file had only completed about 4GB.

Basically I'd like to know if my computer is just too out of date to handle this process and if an upgrade is necessary. Here are the specs:

Late 2008 MacBook (OS X 10.8.2)
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Recently upgraded myself)
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Is my laptop just getting too old for this sort of thing? I'm a university student that mainly browses the web and uses Microsoft Office, the ripping of my Blu-Ray collection with the above process being the most demanding thing I use my laptop for.

Any opinions and help would be appreciated! Thanks!

***UPDATE***

So I ended up going with a 13" Retina MacBook Bro 2.5 i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD. As far as the screen, I was pretty much disappointed immediately. After just a few minutes of browsing online on Safari and going to my desktop (gray background) I immediately saw heavy signs of image retention. The toolbar was visible, ads as black boxes etc etc. It was painfully obvious. I performed a "checkerboard" test if you will and left the image open for 15 minutes. After 20 minutes of the removing the image, there is still faint IR.

The encoding, however, has been great! An 18GB file encoded using Handbrake "High Profile" preset (I use this one because I assume it gives the best quality while still producing smaller files) took 4 hours compared to ~10 hours it was previously taking. Average FPS was 9.73.

Basically, the laptop suits my needs but I have become greedy. I realized I can make the jump to the 15", have the benefits of the quad-core, and just use my iPad for school instead of carrying it around all day.

I am annoyed that I will have to return and reorder and resetup everything but I think and HOPE I am making the right choice. Just wanted to give everyone an update and share some information that may benefit others.

Last edited:

giocav89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
C2D will take forever, a quad core i5 or i7 much much faster.

It's the computer. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that older Core 2 duo processor is your bottleneck right now.

Thanks for the quick reply guys! I figured this was the problem. Thing is, I was waiting on a potential Macbook Air Retina upgrade at some point this year if it happens so a temporary solution would be a Mac Mini for home, especially since I've always wanted one. That and my basic needs from the Macbook are still being met for school.

Would the base Mac Mini 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, meet my needs for Handbreak or is the upgraded 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 really necessary, considering it's a $200 price increase. I don't mind getting the base Mini and upgrading the RAM myself if that is all it needs.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Would the base Mac Mini 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, meet my needs for Handbreak or is the upgraded 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 really necessary, considering it's a $200 price increase. I don't mind getting the base Mini and upgrading the RAM myself if that is all it needs.

I would think the base would meet your needs. If funds are available, I would upgrade to the i7, but I don't know how much of a real world speed difference you would see.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
C2D will take forever, a quad core i5 or i7 much much faster.

This.

the Core I series CPUs (even a dual core i3 vs a Quad core Core 2) will kick the snot out of any core2 or previous CPU at handbrake.

This is one area where the I series is massively improved, another being encryption...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.