Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:47 PM   #51
OafTobark
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlelegs View Post
really? a smaller apple tv? meh.

Apple lover to friend: Hey, did you hear??? Apple is coming out with a smaller AppleTV!!!
Friend: Ok, great.
Seems like Apple's recent and future releases all have this rhyme to them, Unfortunately.

Where did the innovation go? Making things smaller, lighter, and thinner are great engineering feats, but in no way considered innovative.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:48 PM   #52
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
Do you ever run into issues with the IR signal that way?
Do you have an Apple tv?? The ir remote is a pain in the arse. The remote app which doesnt use ir is a much better option.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:48 PM   #53
marv08
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
What could be the reason for making it smaller ?
Well, I guess because they can. The only benefit for Apple is maybe even smaller packaging, as this helps to bring the air freight charges down a little (even if it sounds minimal, but selling as much as 2 million devices in a quarter, it does add up) and also reduces their CO2 balance.

Personally I do not really need it smaller or lighter at all. The current one already falls off the rack every time I touch the HDMI cable when cleaning.
marv08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:49 PM   #54
T-Will
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Do you have an Apple tv?? The ir remote is a pain in the arse. The remote app which doesnt use ir is a much better option.
I actually really like the remote, still prefer the app if my iPhone is nearby, but would be handier if it were a bluetooth remote.
T-Will is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:49 PM   #55
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

It seems odd that they reduced the size such a tiny bit. Could this just be the measurements without the small plastic shell? If the AE is the same size now they can use the same machining process so it wouldn't make sense to reduce size a tiny bit.

Also, I just really want a new time capsule with 4tb drive.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:52 PM   #56
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
If this is the only change then they are truly lost when it comes to what their customers want.
Couldn't agree more.. I hope this isn't the only difference
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:56 PM   #57
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

The question is will they sacrifice one of the ports (most likely Ethernet) in order to achieve this slight reduction in size?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:57 PM   #58
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger11 View Post
I'm wondering if we are going to see Analog out on the device, OR an HDMI passthru, so Apple TV isnt taking up an HDMI input on TVs where they are at a premium. I can't imagine they are going to shrink the box, just to shrink the box, not enough gain in that small of a shrink.
Why on earth would apple go back to analogue? Hdmi slots are at a premium? I have 5 on my tv. More than enough, i def dont want to go anything less than hd now
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:59 PM   #59
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
I will not be impressed until there is an app store for the ATV. Anything beyond that is just a waste for me.
Completely agree.
Orlandoech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:00 PM   #60
osaga
macrumors 6502

Just give us a full ios, 64GB ssd, facetime, cloud, apps, a wireless keyboard, etc..... Then roll out al-a-cart network subscriptions through itunes (whenever the content deal is struck).

By that time who needs the rumored full sized "iTV"?

The profits from a hardware play on a full sized tv is minimal. Because people buy tv's every 4-8 years, and the margins are thin. The money will come from content, in which case itunes would get 30% of our cable subscription bill. Which would be another $30 billion? a year for aapl if most consumers adopted it.

The other challenge may be internet speeds in the USA, which is slow.

This is all a wild guess btw, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
osaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:00 PM   #61
komodrone
Banned

because I carry my Apple TV everywhere, and it has to be smaller.
komodrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:01 PM   #62
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
I will not be impressed until there is an app store for the ATV. Anything beyond that is just a waste for me.
I only use it for airplay, anything else its a bonus.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:01 PM   #63
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Yes I have one. That's why I was concerned. The remote app is OK. I think they could do a lot more to make it interactive instead of a giant touch pad.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:02 PM   #64
Peace
macrumors P6

There WILL be apps on an Apple TV. Also h.265. But this won't come out until WWDC 2013.

Mark my words.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:05 PM   #65
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
It needs to be thinner. That is what makes Apple products so great.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:05 PM   #66
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I did a JB on my ATV2 and for me I didn't find anything I was interested in. The stock Apple apps are plenty good for me. I restored it back to factory settings after a month.
You should make money by selling your ATV 2 on eBay and buying the 3. Its getting rediculous how much of a premium the ATV2 has due to its ability to be jailbroken.

Xbmc and plex are beautiful.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:08 PM   #67
kas23
macrumors 603

I'm so glad they did this. Just today, I was thinking about how wayyyy too big my ATV is.
kas23 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:09 PM   #68
marv08
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navdakilla View Post
Couldn't agree more.. I hope this isn't the only difference
The product code does indicate that this is a minor refresh, not a new product.

I have no idea what the changes (or the reason for the update) may be, but it certainly is nothing big. Maybe the upped the storage capacity slightly to cope with lengthy 1080p movies where available, maybe they put a faster processor in to cope with an upcoming AppStore... Maybe they just had to make slight modifications to the electrical components to deal with specific electrical conditions in some of the countries that just got movies and tv shows... Maybe they fired one the suppliers for child labor and now have to fit a differently sized part from another supplier.
marv08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:13 PM   #69
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
You should make money by selling your ATV 2 on eBay and buying the 3. Its getting rediculous how much of a premium the ATV2 has due to its ability to be jailbroken.

Xbmc and plex are beautiful.
I thought about it before, but selling it on eBay wasn't worth the hassle for me. I'd rather keep it. It's in the bedroom anyway and the ATV3 is in the front room. I'd consider putting it in our Marketplace perhaps.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:14 PM   #70
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Any smaller and you’re going to be able to fit this thing in your pocket!
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:16 PM   #71
SHowHawk
macrumors newbie

Perhaps they are making this revision of the AppleTV 3,2 just a bit smaller in order to fit into a slot/space on a forthcoming 27" to 55" Apple Display. Plug-n-Play and you have the mythical iTV! Stir in some new channel apps, an iTunes TV subscription plan, and you've "cracked it."
See this blog post (not mine) for the idea: kickingbear.com//blog/archives/268
SHowHawk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:19 PM   #72
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by axonic labs View Post
If main features remains the same, this could be a lower cost version. Maybe $79 instead of $99.
Is there really a market for a $20 cheaper Apple TV? I mean, I'm completely OK with the Apple TV being $20 cheaper, but I really doubt that there's anyone out there who's on the fence because of the price difference.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:19 PM   #73
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHowHawk View Post
Perhaps they are making this revision of the AppleTV 3,2 just a bit smaller in order to fit into a slot/space on a forthcoming 27" to 55" Apple Display. Plug-n-Play and you have the mythical iTV! Stir in some new channel apps, an iTunes TV subscription plan, and you've "cracked it."
I would actually be stoked by a "modular" AppleTV. That way I could upgrade the puck with new abilities, without having to throw away some huge, expensive display. Alas, it is probably too good to be true.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:21 PM   #74
slimbek
macrumors regular

Of course you're all assuming that Apple will make a big deal about this change and therefore a size tweak is nothing useful, stock tanks blah blah.

For all we know Mr Cook just made the change for his own internal reasons and they will carry on about their business with consumers none the wiser.

Not every product change requires a fantastically magical annoucement.
slimbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:22 PM   #75
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
I would actually be stoked by a "modular" AppleTV. That way I could upgrade the puck with new abilities, without having to throw away some huge, expensive display. Alas, it is probably too good to be true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHowHawk View Post
We will never see the mythical Apple Television until Time-Warner and Comcast agree to terms with Apple.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion