Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Dragged an MKV file H.264 into MP4Tools and got the 'may have overhead compression' pop up then prompted to proceed to fix. Anybody have this happen before and know what 'overhead compression' means in a file? Reason I ask is after it 'fixed' the issue it then could proceed to the remux file stage.
However the end result was an unplayable mp4... Confused to say the least. Any info would be great- Jim

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Try converting to mp4/m4v before using mp4tools. (Use handbrake) I'm pretty sure mp4tools needs a mp4/m4v file (hence the name). Not a mkv file.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks, but I use HB often and do not want to transcode on this file. I have success doing this but never got the pop- up before and wondered if anyone knew why. Thanks though

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Try converting to mp4/m4v before using mp4tools. (Use handbrake) I'm pretty sure mp4tools needs a mp4/m4v file (hence the name). Not a mkv file.
Incorrect. mp4tools is used to convert mkv to mp4.

I know some mkv's use head compression and certain media players do not like it (WDTV, I think is the main one). But I don't think the aTV has any problem with header compression, so try it again, ignoring the message (if possible).

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Then there's hope! Thanks mic j I will try and report back tomorrow!

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Incorrect. mp4tools is used to convert mkv to mp4.

I know some mkv's use head compression and certain media players do not like it (WDTV, I think is the main one). But I don't think the aTV has any problem with header compression, so try it again, ignoring the message (if possible).

Alright thanks for clarification. I honestly don't use mp4tools much, forgot it was a remuxer. Good luck OP.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Worked like a charm with by NOT allowing MP4Tools DEcompressioning 'mic j' so thanks again for your great intel - Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.