Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:20 PM   #1
RatHat
macrumors member

Bootcamp vs Parallels

I have to run some Windows programs, so would like to ask which would be the better way to go, Bootcamp or Parallels.

What I need is the fastest internet connection speed, and the cleanest Windows layout for the Windows program, and am wondering whether Bootcamp would be the way to go with this.

I already have Parallels installed, and it can give the Windows programs a slightly odd appearance when in Coherence. Does anyone have any experiences with both Bootcamp and Parallels who can give me an idea of the better option?
RatHat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2
elithrar
macrumors 6502

Parallels/VMWare are fine for any regular desktop software that doesn't place large demands on 3D rendering or I/O. Network connection speed and the "layout" are unaffected.

Boot Camp is a good option if you need performant 3D (CAD, games), or access to the hardware (i.e. specific drivers).
elithrar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:51 AM   #3
PK8
macrumors newbie

I use Parallels on my MacBook Air primarily for MS Office and other work-related programs, and it works great. I especially like its coherence mode, under which Windows (and programs being run in Windows) essentially act like Mac programs (of course, it doesn't affect the actual Windows program itself, but more how you interact with the program via Mac desktop, etc.).

I have not used Bootcamp, so I can't really compare the two. But, for my use, Parallels is great.
PK8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

I use to be a big supporter of Parallels but the way they treated people who had bought Parallels 7 vs Parallels 8 has left with me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

I like Parallels because it allowed me to work in Windows Applications seamlessly while in Mac. I also have 24 gigabytes of ram to support this kind of environment.

If you are gaming or 3d rendering, bootcamp is better. I just hated the idea of switching back and forth between the two.
Kashsystems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:40 PM   #5
boat
macrumors newbie

Bootcamp is unquestionably better for 3D games. Having said that, I'm completely gobsmacked at how much parallels has improved it's graphics performance. Last night, I played Skyrim with Parallels. That's right, Skyrim. It ran fine too. There was the occasional stutter and I had the feeling it wasn't quite as buttery-smooth as it might have been in boot camp, but it was still damn good.
boat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac