Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfrazier81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
A little over a month ago I bought a IPhone 4 off of ebay to use with StraightTalk. Had it jailbroken and all setup, life was good. Within the first week I noticed it would go to "no service" until I reset it. No big deal, just annoying. It progressively got worse over time to the point where I would need to reset it multiple times a day. Then it got to where it would just say "searching" a lot of the times until I reset it again. I noticed when it says "searching" under settings the ICCP and Sim info is completely missing, not blank..missing. It will say searching even with no sim.

Now I'm stuck. It was stuck on searching all day and I can't get it back to normal. I thought maybe doing a restore would fix it....horrible mistake. Now it's on searching and I can't activate it...so I can't use my phone at all for anything. I don't know of this is hardware or software but does anyone have any ideas to try? I saw something about an antenna fix but I'm not sure if that could be it. When it works I get full bars at all time, no signal problems besides this.

I'm just lost. Please help

dfrazier81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Bump.

I keep thinking it might be a software problem but not sure how to diagnose. I've done a restore through iTunes multiple times with no luck. I saw someone recommend restoring while in DFU mode but when I try that I get a 1601 error. The reason why I'm leaning on software is because of how it would be fixed from resetting. If it was hardware I don't think a reset would fix it each time like that. Of course now resetting doesn't work so I just don't know...

bookwormsy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Did you try another computer? Other cables, USB ports? Update iTunes? Check hosts file? Correct ipsw?

dfrazier81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Did you try another computer? Other cables, USB ports? Update iTunes? Check hosts file? Correct ipsw?

Just tried the DFU restore on another system, still getting 1601 error. Have another cable I will try but not holding my breath. Latest iTunes versions.

What do you mean by hosts file? Using the only 6.01 ipsw file I could find...Are there different ones hosted somewhere or do you mean something else? Sorry like I said not used to iPhones.

dfrazier81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
I accidentally got myself into recover mode while trying some stuff out. Got it to restore from there but still says searching. Is recovery mode and DFU mode pretty much the same as far as restoring? I'd feel so much better if it gave me a "no sim card" message when I didn't even have the tray in. always searching...

help please? :(

dfrazier81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
final bump. Sorry just really would like to fix this. Figure worst case I'll have to sell it, but it's basically an Ipod Touch at this point so would get a lot less than I paid.

If anything else does anyone know of any other forums that might have ideas on what the problem could be?

bookwormsy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Just tried the DFU restore on another system, still getting 1601 error. Have another cable I will try but not holding my breath. Latest iTunes versions.

What do you mean by hosts file? Using the only 6.01 ipsw file I could find...Are there different ones hosted somewhere or do you mean something else? Sorry like I said not used to iPhones.

Go to http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ and download the latest firmware.

http://jaxov.com/wiki/edit-windows-mac-hosts-file-to-downgrade-iphone-using-itunes/

Check your hosts file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.