Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Qwerty11
macrumors regular

Do I have to restart Mac to get MIDI controller to function after unplugging?

I'm using Garageband and a keyboard connected via USB. If for some reason I disconnect the keyboard, I get a message in Garageband saying that all midi inputs have dropped. The only way I can figure out to get it to re-connect is to restart the Mac. Is there any other way?
Qwerty11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:19 AM   #2
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty11 View Post
I'm using Garageband and a keyboard connected via USB. If for some reason I disconnect the keyboard, I get a message in Garageband saying that all midi inputs have dropped. The only way I can figure out to get it to re-connect is to restart the Mac. Is there any other way?
Garageband should automatically detect the MIDI keyboard. Just tried it in Garageband with a USB MIDI controller I have, and unplugging and replugging did not require a restart to function.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Qwerty11
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhli View Post
Garageband should automatically detect the MIDI keyboard. Just tried it in Garageband with a USB MIDI controller I have, and unplugging and replugging did not require a restart to function.
Plugging in the keyboard creates to prefs pane "YAMAHA USB-MIDI." Maybe it is creating some type of ad-hoc connection.
Qwerty11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:18 PM   #4
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty11 View Post
Plugging in the keyboard creates to prefs pane "YAMAHA USB-MIDI." Maybe it is creating some type of ad-hoc connection.
The Yamaha USB-MIDI is the Yamaha MIDI driver being loaded up. It's normal. I'm not really sure what could be causing your issue. Have you updated to the latest drivers?

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio