Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68000

Will there be a day the home button will be gone?

Like touch capacitive home button. I think it would look sleeker and increase screen realty.
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2
lalacharlee
macrumors member

It would definitely cut out the home button issues (I suffer with a loose home button which I have grown to live with) I think the iphone would be a lot better with the same look, but not an actual button. Think you're onto something.
lalacharlee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:55 PM   #3
bookwormsy
macrumors regular

I personally like the button. My gripe with touch buttons is that they're too easy to accidentally push. When I was playing around with my friends droid 4, I kept brushing against the touch buttons and weird stuff happened. Plus my otterbox overs the home button. :/
bookwormsy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
bryanc28
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormsy View Post
I personally like the button. My gripe with touch buttons is that they're too easy to accidentally push. When I was playing around with my friends droid 4, I kept brushing against the touch buttons and weird stuff happened. Plus my otterbox overs the home button. :/

This is very true. I tried to like the Galaxy Note 2, but I kept on hitting the one capacitive button. It is annoying as hell. Trust me, be glad that the iphone has a home button!
bryanc28 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:07 PM   #5
trekkie604
macrumors 65816

Could eliminate it by being gesture-based like Blackberry 10.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68000

Well it would definitely be a good idea... About the accidental use, I think there should be a touch hold to activate it
Appl3FTW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:48 PM   #7
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkie604 View Post
Could eliminate it by being gesture-based like Blackberry 10.
This.

Swipe from the bottom in some way that it doesn't accidentally happen for home. You could literally that a 1/2 off the bottom of the phone (with some crafty redesigned internals). I'm not a fan of physical buttons, eventually fail, dust, dirt and moisture can get around them etc.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:49 AM   #8
ledlauzis
macrumors member

I am working for service center which is dealing with Apple device repair and mainly we are dealing with two things: replacing shattered screens and replacing broken iPhone home buttons.
Apple is aware of this issue and the iPhone 5 home button is much more durable but failure rate for iPhone 4S/4 home buttons are ridiculously high.

So to sum it up. I hope Apple will introduce home-button-less iPhone because it would look better and would lave more space for screen but this would take away like 1/5 of our income as a service center.

Read more at http://ubuntulife.net

Last edited by ledlauzis; Jul 5, 2013 at 03:09 AM.
ledlauzis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:00 AM   #9
Cod3rror
macrumors 68000

I'd love if they got rid of the home button and replaced it with gestures.

If you've ever used the Zephyr Cydia tweak you'll know just how awesome gestures are. Swiping up to get rid of the app or show the multitasking switcher is much more intuitive, dynamic and pleasant.

Blackberry has also shown that it can be done well.

It would also allow for a smaller, more durable device. If Apple wants to innovate, they should replace the home button with gestures.
Cod3rror is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:03 AM   #10
Cody21
macrumors 6502a

I like the idea of a gesture based UI and doing away with the button completely. Or at least making the button touch sensitive.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:28 AM   #11
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68000

hate to say this.. but blackberry did it.
Appl3FTW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:43 AM   #12
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

When some android phones freeze there are no physical buttons to hold to do a forced restart. I do like having that option
tmanto02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:46 AM   #13
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68000

if that's the case, then make like a small button to press on the side for hard restart functionality.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:54 AM   #14
RAPTORSKI
macrumors regular

yes

I'd be all up for a smaller (height wise) non-physical home button. It would definitely allow for a longer screen without making the device taller, yet it would keep the home button functionality.
RAPTORSKI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:16 PM   #15
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanto02 View Post
When some android phones freeze there are no physical buttons to hold to do a forced restart. I do like having that option
All of the Android phones I have used have a power button on the side that you can use to do a forced restart. Some Android phones have removable batteries which you can pull to do a force restart.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:35 PM   #16
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormsy View Post
I don't know if this is just marketing bs but whatever technology Apple used to ignore accidental taps on the iPad mini screen due to the smaller bezel could come into play here.

Personally I'd rather have gesture-based than those light-up Android-style touch sensitive buttons or on-screen buttons. I really liked the gesture-based multitasking and menu functions on Blackberry Playbook OS, probably would have kept my Playbook if it wasn't for the apps.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:36 PM   #17
irDigital0l

Yes, my iPhone 4 home button has issues now.

Yes its 2 years, but it just shows the wear-and-tear of physical buttons.

I would totally ditch a home button for more screen space.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:41 PM   #18
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

I would love if the iPhone moved to a capacitive home button. IMO it's much sleeker than a physical home button.

And for all you whiners about accidental presses, once you've used the device for like an hour then your hands will remember where the button is and avoid pressing it (yes, even in landscape mode). I would know because both phones I've had since my 4S have had capacitive home buttons.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:42 PM   #19
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

It doesn't seem a stretch that the gesture functions of the iPad would eventually make it to iPhone. On iPad the only thing I use the home button for is in conjunction with the sleep button, for screenshots.
Orange Crane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:07 PM   #20
HankHowdy
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod3rror View Post
I'd love if they got rid of the home button and replaced it with gestures.

If you've ever used the Zephyr Cydia tweak you'll know just how awesome gestures are. Swiping up to get rid of the app or show the multitasking switcher is much more intuitive, dynamic and pleasant.

Blackberry has also shown that it can be done well.

It would also allow for a smaller, more durable device. If Apple wants to innovate, they should replace the home button with gestures.
Yes! Love that tweak. The home button becomes useless.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:09 PM   #21
TyPod
macrumors 68000

This always ponders my mind as well. iPhone 6? Seems like it definitely could be a possibility!
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:07 PM   #22
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68000

iphone 6 will be groundbreaking and blow everything out of the water again... think circa iphone 4.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:25 PM   #23
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

It's possible. I think they can do away with it.
iHailCarlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:57 PM   #24
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanc28 View Post
This is very true. I tried to like the Galaxy Note 2, but I kept on hitting the one capacitive button. It is annoying as hell. Trust me, be glad that the iphone has a home button!
Looks like you don't even know what a Note 2 is since it doesn't have "the one capacitive button".
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:56 PM   #25
D.T.
macrumors 68030

I actually dig on the physical home button: it's easy to find by touch, it gives you an orientation reference, it provides positive feedback, plus it makes double (or even triple) clicking possible.

FWIW, the capacitive buttons on my Android devices drove me nuts.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone