Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:45 PM   #76
ifij775
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
Maybe it's for 3D content, but nobody seems to be talking about 3D TV anymore.
Please, no

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblogger View Post
I did the same type of calculations with my Verizon FiOS package and when I broke it all down and added up all the shows I and my wife would have to buy from iTunes or Amazon, it came up substantially more expensive. Not to mention I need the sports channels which at this point are unavailable anywhere else.

People keep clamoring for ala carte pricing but I see no way of ala carte being less expensive than a package you get now from one of the providers. Be careful what you wish for. If these providers realize they can make more money ala carte they're going to be the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

As far as Apple goes I see them having the same type package deal but possibly with more attractive options. They will have to partner with one or all of the providers which in the end still means that the providers will call the shots. The movie/TV industry will not allow themselves to bow to Apple the way the music industry did. They simply will not let themselves be put under Apples thumb and they will not allow Apple to dictate terms. They are after all in the driver's seat and let's not forget that they also have the money and resources to incorporate the web into their product and maintain control.
Cable packages heavily favor sports. Non-diehard sports fans are getting ripped off
ifij775 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:45 PM   #77
Halopend
macrumors member

It could hopefully mean Apple TV apps are finally going to happen but its very likely hey are just phasing out the A5 chips in other devices and calculated it would be cheaper to upgrade to the new design.

If they have all the cores enabled, something more expensive to produce & extreme overkill, than they definitely have apps in store for us.
Halopend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:48 PM   #78
ifij775
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
I'm not sure why they don't devote more software resources to it.

Basic features like iTunes Extras and LP are missing. I can accept the fact it will never get Amazon, but it at least needs VEVO, HBO Go and a few other content providers regardless of whether or not these companies use Apple provided subscriptions.

They've also completely neglected the "Computer" app and why isn't there some kind of media sharing service built into OS X (instead of requiring you to run iTunes)?

At this point, I feel like all of Apple's software is falling behind the times (iOS, iLife, iWork, Apple TV OS, etc). Maybe that'll change with Forstall gone.
I think they are just waiting for HBO, VEVO, etc to write the apps for them. I'm hoping for TV apps in iOS 7
ifij775 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:48 PM   #79
AgentElliot007
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
Only reason for that processor is apps. The atv3 already will run dead dumps of bluray movies via Beamer on 802.11n at 1080p, so the only possible reason for vastly expanded computing power is apps.
Are you sure it's straight Blu-Ray and not transcoded? There's definitely some conversion going on as it only passes stereo audio and converts for that according to there web page. Though in any event, I've pumped some very heavy-handed 25 GB .mp4's from Blu-Ray rips without a hitch though via iTunes. They don't skip around well with only whatever's left after OS of the 8 GBs of flash memory to run on, but that's obviously not a processor issue.
AgentElliot007 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:50 PM   #80
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

I was really hoping Apple would put the A6 in the next iPad mini. I guess I'll just hold on to my retina iPad since it already comes equipped with the A5X.
BornAgainApple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:51 PM   #81
Peace
macrumors P6

If all this is true why was the beta restore file for the 3,1 Apple TV called AppleTV3,2_5.2_10B144b_Restore.ipsw ?
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:54 PM   #82
Slim02
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
Maybe it's for 3D content, but nobody seems to be talking about 3D TV anymore.
That because All the new (2013) HDTV have 3D built in so there no point to keep take about it... Just Like all the 4K are also 3D HDTV...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:57 PM   #83
lifeinhd
macrumors 65816

Now you can watch video 40% faster! Awesome!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:01 PM   #84
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentElliot007 View Post
Odd. I never had issues with my ATV2s nor do I now with my ATV3s sans in one room that just got poor wifi signal in general thanks to a nice brick wall that blocked the signal. I added an AirPort express extender outside that room and now the signal is great everywhere. I'm using a Time Capsule for the main base station, but I've used two other cheaper Netgear and LinkSys N-Routers that weren't even extended range and never had connection issues. You might try visiting an Apple Store and seeing if they won't swap it out for you.
Yeah, or just buy a new one. It's a couple years old. The weird thing is, for like over a year it was fine, never dropped the connection. Then I did one of the software updates (about a year ago) and it horked it. It's never worked correctly since. Same network the whole time. I suppose I could try a factory reset and see if that fixes it, just hate entering all the passwords in again.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:03 PM   #85
hirshnoc
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to hirshnoc Send a message via Skype™ to hirshnoc
I still don't see any evidence of "doubling down on secrecy." there have been more leaks in the past 2 years than in the Titanic.
hirshnoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:03 PM   #86
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
I would think the problems would arise though when it comes to the touch screen - Wouldn't the regular iOS only be designed for touch input?
Good point. But if it supports Bluetooth input devices, maybe it would work with a Magic Trackpad.
GeekLawyer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:10 PM   #87
AgentElliot007
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Yeah, or just buy a new one. It's a couple years old. The weird thing is, for like over a year it was fine, never dropped the connection. Then I did one of the software updates (about a year ago) and it horked it. It's never worked correctly since. Same network the whole time. I suppose I could try a factory reset and see if that fixes it, just hate entering all the passwords in again.
I hear you there. This is likely my biggest complaint about the Apple TV right now. I wish I could store a configuration backup for it in iCloud so I could just enter my iCloud ID and essentially restore a new ATV from a "backup." It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to do considering it's built off of iOS and there's not really much data at all that'd need to be backed up. It's a minor quibble, but some sort of iCloud restore functionality would be a very welcome addition to me. But I upgrade a lot and continue to add more boxes, so it's probably more annoying to me than most.
AgentElliot007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:11 PM   #88
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
Good point. But if it supports Bluetooth input devices, maybe it would work with a Magic Trackpad.
Oh, of course! You can use bluetooth keyboards with your iPad, can't you?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:15 PM   #89
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post
I think they are just waiting for HBO, VEVO, etc to write the apps for them. I'm hoping for TV apps in iOS 7
Apple creates the apps for Apple TV. Even the Netflix and Hulu apps are made by the Apple TV team.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:21 PM   #90
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
Apple creates the apps for Apple TV. Even the Netflix and Hulu apps are made by the Apple TV team.
And they are very nice
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:22 PM   #91
tctony
macrumors 6502a

I'll probably pick one up just to have a second one.

Also because my buddy spilled alcohol all over my aTV remote.

"no hot no sweat screen no heavy" - iphonetoday
tctony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:25 PM   #92
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

I watch Fox Sports, MLB Network, NFL Network, and ESPN all the time.

Cutting the cord, for sports fans, is not an option.
Bill Killer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:25 PM   #93
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Looks like there's finally going to be some progress with the TV
Finally, yes, after a series of lousy and well planned incremental updates to milk money.
Mackan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:26 PM   #94
marc11
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
Finally, yes, after a series of lousy and well planned incremental updates to milk money.
Ha maybe, but then again, knowing how Apple thinks, this a a spec bump, they will throw in a new OS upgrade with some nice feature that COULD easily run on the Apple TV 3 and make it exclusive to the Apple TV 4 to incent upgrades. Heck, I am shocked they let the Apple TV 2 have the BT upgrade.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:34 PM   #95
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
Only reason for that processor is apps. The atv3 already will run dead dumps of bluray movies via Beamer on 802.11n at 1080p, so the only possible reason for vastly expanded computing power is apps.
You're forgetting, it could have nothing to do with performance. If Apple moves to the A5X for the iPad mini, and/or replaces the iPad 2 with the iPad 3 as the "cheap iPad", then the A5 will be discontinued. The Apple TV is a very low volume product compared to all the iDevices, so it will get whatever low-end processor is shipping in volume. Wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't even mention it.
swarmster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:35 PM   #96
v0lume4
macrumors regular

Please no A5X in the 2nd-gen iPad mini. Hopeful for the A6 *fingers crossed*
v0lume4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:36 PM   #97
ayale99
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsilverback View Post
Macworld had a piece today about trying to 'cut the cable' and when all was said and done they got a better deal on a bundle with TV than trying to go it alone with internet only from their provider.
It's not always about the money. It's about taking your life back from 1000 crappy channels of TV.
ayale99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:46 PM   #98
Adam22
macrumors regular

Bring on the ipad mini 2!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lume4 View Post
Please no A5X in the 2nd-gen iPad mini. Hopeful for the A6 *fingers crossed*
I'm with you .....X-)xX
Adam22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:48 PM   #99
marc11
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmster View Post
You're forgetting, it could have nothing to do with performance. If Apple moves to the A5X for the iPad mini, and/or replaces the iPad 2 with the iPad 3 as the "cheap iPad", then the A5 will be discontinued. The Apple TV is a very low volume product compared to all the iDevices, so it will get whatever low-end processor is shipping in volume. Wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't even mention it.
My feeling exactly and posted many pages ago...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:49 PM   #100
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Air video, pretty please?
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion