Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:49 PM   #1
drayon
macrumors regular

Mac OS 9.2.2 Memory usage on your machines?

I'm running Mac OS 9.2.2 on a Power Mac G4 Dual 500 Gigabit with 2GB Ram. I notice the Mac OS is using 550MB of RAM (Virtual Memory disabled) in the "About this Computer" from the Apple menu.

I've only just set this machine up after many years in storage so my memory of using Mac OS 9x is vague. However, this Mac OS RAM usage seems peculiarly excessive. I recall (I think) having a trimmed down system well under 100MB, maybe that was Mac OS 8.x I really can't remember.

I'm wondering if others out there can check their Mac OS memory usage (Mac OS 9.2.2) and report back. I'd like to gauge if mine is in the ball park or not. I'm running with the barest minimal extensions and control panels, basically only extensions enabled to allow Pro Tools to launch and run.

Thanks
drayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:53 PM   #2
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Try enabling Virtual RAM. I, like you, am a little vague on my OS Classic memories but for some reason I do believe this helps. Also, I do recall that classic OS tended to be a memory hog.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:11 AM   #3
drayon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
Try enabling Virtual RAM. I, like you, am a little vague on my OS Classic memories but for some reason I do believe this helps. Also, I do recall that classic OS tended to be a memory hog.
Pro Tools don't run with VM on. BTW Classic was NEVER a memory hog, hence my query.

Since I have 4 x 512MB modules in the G4 I pulled one stick and viola, Mac OS now reports only 38.5MB usage on fresh reboot. So there it is people, Mac OS 9.2.2 incorrectly displays RAM usage if 2GB is installed in the machine. I'd say what is happening is the OS displays that it is using the additional 512MB of memory since it can only use 1.5GB, therefore it just adds what it is using to the first 512MB of memory. Weired way of doing it but there we go.
drayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:36 PM   #4
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by drayon View Post
Pro Tools don't run with VM on. BTW Classic was NEVER a memory hog, hence my query.
Yeah, that is my memory too...and because of the sound issues I typically had with VM, I always used to shut it off too, once RAM got cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drayon View Post
Since I have 4 x 512MB modules in the G4 I pulled one stick and viola, Mac OS now reports only 38.5MB usage on fresh reboot. So there it is people, Mac OS 9.2.2 incorrectly displays RAM usage if 2GB is installed in the machine. I'd say what is happening is the OS displays that it is using the additional 512MB of memory since it can only use 1.5GB, therefore it just adds what it is using to the first 512MB of memory. Weired way of doing it but there we go.
That's interesting, I always wondered what happened when you went over the 1.5GB RAM limit on these things. I'll have to see if I can duplicate that on my Sawtooths some time. Cheers!
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs