Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtinch

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Hey all! I just purchased my shiny new rMBP and am so excited as being a new Mac user. I take great care of my machine and am very gentle with the computer. I spent a LOT of my hard earned money to get this thing, so I want to keep it in great shape. Recently, I took my new toy out for a spin at my local Starbucks with a couple of friends to do some homework and light web browsing. My friends were very interested in it and liked seeing it in action. A couple of them would NOT stop touching the screen to point things out, like text or images on certain websites. This really bothered me and frustrated me because I want to keep the LCD scratch free and clean. I spent ten minutes wiping away prints and dirt off of the screen. It really irritates me when people do this. Am I the only one like this, or are there more freaks like me out there?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
lol, nothing freaky about it, and def. not OCD [ that word seems to get thrown around quite lightly.... ]

I like to keep my gadgets/toys/cars etc in pristine condition too and yes, it's a bit annoying when you have people like friends, GFs, cousins etc... poking/touching them [ my pet peeve is when my GF, now fiance, wants to eat in the car!! I'm totally anal about my cars ] and leaving behind prints!

However, I've realized you can only avoid so much, and there are bigger things in life to think about than some fingerprints on your screen!

I realize it's your new toy and you're ecstatic about it... The honeymoon period will be over at some point and you'll realize how trivial these things are...

However, nothing I say at this point will appeal to you :p because you're so in love with the new gadget right now!!

Finally, I would get some kinda [ case, cover, etc ] protection for the rMBP before venturing out with it... especially in public places!

If the screen marks bug you endlessly, get the ZAGG Body Kit for the rMBP.... so no one will be actually touching the screen directly! :apple:

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Oh man, I can't stand whenever someone is like "Look at that!" and they jam their finger into the glass/plastic/whatever Apple uses.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hey all! I just purchased my shiny new rMBP and am so excited as being a new Mac user. I take great care of my machine and am very gentle with the computer. I spent a LOT of my hard earned money to get this thing, so I want to keep it in great shape. Recently, I took my new toy out for a spin at my local Starbucks with a couple of friends to do some homework and light web browsing. My friends were very interested in it and liked seeing it in action. A couple of them would NOT stop touching the screen to point things out, like text or images on certain websites. This really bothered me and frustrated me because I want to keep the LCD scratch free and clean. I spent ten minutes wiping away prints and dirt off of the screen. It really irritates me when people do this. Am I the only one like this, or are there more freaks like me out there?

I don't like people touching my screen either. I'm not sure if you're being serious questioning whether or not you have OCD, but I think it's normal to not want people to dirty and get their finger prints on an expensive device.

jtinch

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I don't like people touching my screen either. I'm not sure if you're being serious questioning whether or not you have OCD, but I think it's normal to not want people to dirty and get their finger prints on an expensive device.

No I do not actually believe I have OCD haha, just a little annoyed.

----------

lol, nothing freaky about it, and def. not OCD [ that word seems to get thrown around quite lightly.... ]

I like to keep my gadgets/toys/cars etc in pristine condition too and yes, it's a bit annoying when you have people like friends, GFs, cousins etc... poking/touching them [ my pet peeve is when my GF, now fiance, wants to eat in the car!! I'm totally anal about my cars ] and leaving behind prints!

However, I've realized you can only avoid so much, and there are bigger things in life to think about than some fingerprints on your screen!

I realize it's your new toy and you're ecstatic about it... The honeymoon period will be over at some point and you'll realize how trivial these things are...

However, nothing I say at this point will appeal to you :p because you're so in love with the new gadget right now!!

Finally, I would get some kinda [ case, cover, etc ] protection for the rMBP before venturing out with it... especially in public places!

If the screen marks bug you endlessly, get the ZAGG Body Kit for the rMBP.... so no one will be actually touching the screen directly! :apple:

Thank you for this reply! I do plan on purchasing a case for it. I am the same way about my car, or anything really in general. I do realize that it's definitely no the most important thing in the world. It just bothers me when people don't respect other people's things and treat them as their own.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
No I do not actually believe I have OCD haha, just a little annoyed.

----------

Thank you for this reply! I do plan on purchasing a case for it. I am the same way about my car, or anything really in general. I do realize that it's definitely no the most important thing in the world. It just bothers me when people don't respect other people's things and treat them as their own.

That's perfectly normal .. and yeah, some people [will] always drive you up the wall :p

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
My biggest complaint/worry is when someone is "pointing" out things on your screen with a pen! BETTER not have the ballpoint touch that screen!

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
My biggest complaint/worry is when someone is "pointing" out things on your screen with a pen! BETTER not have the ballpoint touch that screen!

LOL, I actually had someone do that to mine [ iPad ] in a meeting and I gave him the twisted-eye ' Rock ' look ... All was fine henceforth! :D:p

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Apple or not, it's always been a pet peeve of mine when people jam their fingers on a screen to point something out. My MBP seems especially prone to fingerprints, smudges and dirt.

You're not alone. I've ALWAYS been bothered by that. Especially with desktop monitors. I should rarely have to clean my Apple Cinema Display or my 23" Display, there's no reason for them to be touched (I might accidentally touch the screen when opening or closing my MBP, but no reason to touch the desktop displays) so that's especially annoying because I shouldn't have to clean those but once every few months! (dust)

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I'm with you on not touching screens. Mine does get dirty and I think I use iClear or iKlear to clean it. ShaggyMac sells some cleaning stuff too that works pretty good.

Just curious, do the new Macs have a glass screen? I could've sworn I thought they did. I know mine is plastic, at least I'm pretty sure it is.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I'm with you on not touching screens. Mine does get dirty and I think I use iClear or iKlear to clean it. ShaggyMac sells some cleaning stuff too that works pretty good.

Just curious, do the new Macs have a glass screen? I could've sworn I thought they did. I know mine is plastic, at least I'm pretty sure it is.

My 2012 MBP is glass. So is the cinema display.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I can definitely relate. This happens to me frequently on my non-touch screens (rMBP and iMac) and it irritates me to no end. In the back of my mind I want to lash and scream at them but I realize these particular people are not very tech savvy or considerate as we are, so I just let it go.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
nah ... you're not OCD. I feel the same way. With most LCD's, the marks aren't as prevalent as they were with the older CRT monitors, mainly because you'll come across a lot more anti-glare/matte LCD displays than glossy ones. With CRT displays, it was much worse.

Back when I had a CRT monitor, it would drive me nuts when somebody would point out things with their fingers and smudge the thing up .. especially if they were just eating a glazed doughnut. It wasn't so much a bother when I switched to flat panel displays though, but would still bug me with current glossy displays.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
. This really bothered me and frustrated me because I want to keep the LCD scratch free and clean. I spent ten minutes wiping away prints and dirt off of the screen. It really irritates me when people do this. Am I the only one like this, or are there more freaks like me out there?

Are they disappointed when they find out it's not a touchscreen? ;)

Apple or not, I don't like it when people touch my screen, either. I don't like wiping off fingerprints. My office PC has a privacy screen so I'm not overly worried about physical damage, but it is still annoying.

I'm guessing that as touchscreen notebooks become more common on PCs, we'll see even more of this, even on non-touchscreen PCs and Macs. I don't see Apple jumping on the touchscreen notebook bandwagon anytime soon, but I hesitate to say never.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
umm it has a glass screen you just wipe them..

Folks this a computer, in two years you guys will be keen on selling it and moving on to the next "big" thing.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
No, it's not OCD to dislike that, but I don't like to make too big a deal of it, so for a first offence I just use these to remove the offending finger:

27195.jpg

I only actually speak to them about it if they do it a second time.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
Lol, my wheels were turning to post something like this until I saw your post. This is in my top list of pet peeves. I had a customer repeatedly point with a ballpoint screen, hitting my screen, over and over, even when I asked him to stop. I can go 3-4 days between cleanings unless some idjut just can't help themselves and leaves a big greasy smear.

No, it's not OCD to dislike that, but I don't like to make too big a deal of it, so for a first offence I just use these to remove the offending finger:

I only actually speak to them about it if they do it a second time.

Herrow

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012

Lol! Thank goodness I am not the only one!

What I'd do is I show them that I wipe my screen every time they touch.

Of course, do that while you are smiling so they won't get offended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.