Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickeedoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
At work
Hello, MacRumor(ers?) This is my first post here and I just have a quick question. My DVD burner on my Macbook Pro 15 is not working correctly, and I just want to know if it's possible to upgrade my Mac from 10.7.5 to 10.8.x just from the InstallESD.dmg file. Or do I have to actually go out and buy a flash drive? (I've been googling, but can't find a straight answer yet) If I can just upgrade from my desktop, that'd be sweet.

I'm new to Macs, but expect to dive deep into this fantastic land. So far, I'm liking it a lot! :)

If I can do the upgrade with just a disc image and without a DVD or flash drive, please do let me know. Thanks a lot!

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hello, MacRumor(ers?) This is my first post here and I just have a quick question. My DVD burner on my Macbook Pro 15 is not working correctly, and I just want to know if it's possible to upgrade my Mac from 10.7.5 to 10.8.x just from the InstallESD.dmg file. Or do I have to actually go out and buy a flash drive? (I've been googling, but can't find a straight answer yet) If I can just upgrade from my desktop, that'd be sweet.

I'm new to Macs, but expect to dive deep into this fantastic land. So far, I'm liking it a lot! :)

If I can do the upgrade with just a disc image and without a DVD or flash drive, please do let me know. Thanks a lot!

Hey. First of all, welcome to the MacRumors forums :)

According to the App Store, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3) requires OS X 10.6.8 or later. You should be able to purchase the update in the App Store and it will download and install automatically.

nickeedoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
At work
Hey. First of all, welcome to the MacRumors forums :)

According to the App Store, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3) requires OS X 10.6.8 or later. You should be able to purchase the update in the App Store and it will download and install automatically.

Thanks Shane! Well my buddy already got the download for his mac from the app store, and he gave me the image file, trying to be nice and save me a few bucks. Can I not use his?

Edit: Woah, I thought the upgrade was going to be like 60$! Just bought the upgrade for myself since it's only 20$. Thanks anyway!

FWIW: You can just run the .dmg.

And a mod can close this thread. :p

Last edited:

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Thanks Shane! Well my buddy already got the download for his mac from the app store, and he gave me the image file, trying to be nice and save me a few bucks. Can I not use his?

Edit: Woah, I thought the upgrade was going to be like 60$! Just bought the upgrade for myself since it's only 20$. Thanks anyway!

FWIW: You can just run the .dmg.

And a mod can close this thread. :p

You're welcome :)

I'm almost absolutely sure that the upgrade is in some way protected to only work for one computer (or Apple ID).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.