Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Hi, I just bought myself the 2.4ghz 6770m on board,

I'll be starting it with mountain lion on there, anything in particular that these are know for issue wise?

Cheers :apple:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hi, I just bought myself the 2.4ghz 6770m on board,
I'll be starting it with mountain lion on there, anything in particular that these are know for issue wise?
Cheers :apple:
I have a similar late 2011 <BP.
Great computer, and with an SSD, it is really fast.
One thing, check out OWC's HP (scroll down towards the bottom):
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/
for notes on using/not using the optical bay for an SSD.

You may need to use terminal commands to disable hybernation, i.e. use hybernation mode 0.
pmset -g
will list all the current power settings/device settings.
1. set hibernate mode to 0
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
hibernationmode 0 is normal sleep, kept in ram nothing written to hdd
2. delete the unnecessary sleep file to regain disk space equal to memory (saves the same amount of disk space as your RAM, eg. 8 GBs), since hibernate is disabled

if you want to reclaim the space the hibernate file takes up (valuable on an SSD), you can use the Go to folder menu for that. The file is found in the /var/vm/ folder, and is named sleepimage. Reboot and simply delete that file,. Or use this:
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepfile or sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage
The sleep image file is actually in /Private/var/vm/ but /var/vm/ is a symbolic link to that location.
Optional: Create a blanked zero-byte file so the OS cannot rewrite the file:
sudo touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage
Make the file immutable:
sudo chflags uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Great computer, especially for what you likely paid. Two issues:

1. If you're planning on running another drive in your optibay be aware that the optibays on 2011 models do not reliably support SATA III drives (even at SATA II speeds). They may work or they may not.

2. If you use an ATD, every once and a while you'll have issues waking from sleep when you're attached. Can't determine a pattern to this but its fixed with an SMC reset. I think this is an issue with all MBPs, but it definitely happens on both our 2011 machines.

___

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.