Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:00 AM   #26
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
But it's not an unreasonable assumption, which is kind of my point. 30% of Vietnam vets (probably more) have or have had PTSD with the possibility of it reoccuring.
But it's more reasonable that he doesn't... since 7/10 don't.... I give up. Posting researched facts in PRSI seems like a waste of time.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:03 AM   #27
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
But it's more reasonable that he doesn't... since 7/10 don't.... I give up. Posting researched facts in PRSI seems like a waste of time.
Well, statistically speaking, 30% of the population is rather significant.

And your missing the point here with your 7/10. There are a million reasons he could have done this, but the vast majority of them when you are attempting to find a reason are going to be realtively small. You have to look for trends and traits among people and demographics to be effective in your search. First, you look at the obvious stuff, like, 30% of people in his group have PTSD. You examin that, yes or no, move on to the next probable cause.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:10 AM   #28
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Kate Upton began modelling at 17.

Just sayin'
I don't care for her smile, but the rest gets a big thumbs up!

Quote:
The fact that the person in this crime is a Vietnam veteran in no way means he has PTSD. It also does not mean he doesn't. The article doesn't state and as such, until it is stated somewhere it's purely speculation anyone's part.
Or he could just be a crazy old coot. More information needed.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:14 AM   #29
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
How dare you post something like that... do you have any more?
*slides brown envelope under table*
niuniu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:14 AM   #30
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

If PTSD is the excuse perhaps veterans should be banned from owning guns...
Eraserhead is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:16 AM   #31
bradl
macrumors 68030

Obligatory...

But..but.. but... Stand Your Ground!!!!

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:16 AM   #32
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
or anyone with the capability of developing mental instability
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:18 AM   #33
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
yeah, veterans with PTSD probably should
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:19 AM   #34
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:

Yeah I don't disagree. Idk if the DA should necessarily make an example out of him, but prosecute based on our written laws and within the realm of reason. Charge him with murder, but don't give him the death penalty for it.

I think this further illistrates the need for mental health checks to be revamped and improved in order to curb gun violence.
No need for the DP. Just lock him up for the rest of his life. Give him the max punishment you can by law. This should be manslaughter at the very least. Charge him with and give him the max prison term which should be 20 years. That means he will live out the rest of his life in prison where he belongs.

He needs to be made an example out of.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:19 AM   #35
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
yeah, veterans with PTSD probably should
Then the same should apply for those vets from Korea, WW2, WW1 (RIP), Persian Gulf, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

Following your logic, you should wholeheartedly concur, correct? I await your response.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:27 AM   #36
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Then the same should apply for those vets from Korea, WW2, WW1 (RIP), Persian Gulf, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

Following your logic, you should wholeheartedly concur, correct? I await your response.

BL.
Well yeah, why wouldn't I?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
No need for the DP. Just lock him up for the rest of his life. Give him the max punishment you can by law. This should be manslaughter at the very least. Charge him with and give him the max prison term which should be 20 years. That means he will live out the rest of his life in prison where he belongs.
Completely agree up untli this point

Quote:
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:47 AM   #37
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

I can hear it now..... The crazies on the right will say something along the lines of, "If the driver were packing heat, he'd still be alive!"

What are we coming to? What's the point of living in a civilization when no one wants to be civilized these day?
iMikeT is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:11 PM   #38
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:

I hate that attitude. People should be treated equally rather than made an example due to timing.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:11 PM   #39
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Is it? Maybe it is for a random vet but for someone who shot someone who parked in his driveway by mistake.
unlinked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:25 PM   #40
samiwas
macrumors 65816

This is interesting, and very sad. I was on a back road just a few days ago, and had to turn around in the driveway of a shady-looking house. After all the gun talk recently, I was actually thinking "What would happen if some crazy person darted out of this house and shot me for 'being on his property'?"

I even thought about posting the question on here about it. Now, I see that it actually happened, maybe 25 miles away.

I agree that anyone who might have PTSD should be checked on a regular basis and if found to have any symptoms, should not be owning a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
What's a 22yr old doing dating a 17yr old? Can't get college girls?
I dated a 17 year old when I was 22. And let me assure you, it was a ****load of fun. And that was after a break-up with a college girl, so yes...I could get them.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:29 PM   #41
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
I hate that attitude. People should be treated equally rather than made an example due to timing.
Fine on a case like this the example is Everyone who does this gets max punishment.

The guy crossed so many lines and was so stupid the world is a safer place with him locked up for the rest of his life.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:01 PM   #42
Hawkeye16
macrumors regular

Well, read the actual story and seems like mistakes were definitely made. First off, you should never fire a warning shot. If you pull the trigger ever it should be as a last resort and aimed to kill.

Funny - neither .22 or revolvers are in any of the legislation. Hell, the most you hunt with a .22 is squirrel and rabbit and crap like that.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:24 PM   #43
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
The guy crossed so many lines and was so stupid the world is a safer place with him locked up for the rest of his life.
I'm aware of this. The process should still be carried out properly. It's not supposed to be a lynch mob mentality regardless of whether a specific event angers you. It should be investigated like any other case.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:08 PM   #44
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 View Post
Well, read the actual story and seems like mistakes were definitely made. First off, you should never fire a warning shot. If you pull the trigger ever it should be as a last resort and aimed to kill..
Funny, I would have said his mistake was firing on someone because they pulled into his driveway. The Castle Doctrine has been carried too far if you're allowed to shoot someone just for pulling off a public street.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:31 PM   #45
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
Funny, I would have said his mistake was firing on someone because they pulled into his driveway. The Castle Doctrine has been carried too far if you're allowed to shoot someone just for pulling off a public street.
As far as the outdoor part of your property goes, if it is not prominently marked with KEEP OUT! signs, you should not be able to invoke Castle Doctrine.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:38 PM   #46
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You haven't provided any evidence that you are correct. If you do, I can look at it. Right now your statement of "pretty sure" is the only evidence you've provided to counter my evidence.
You want evidence? I'm the evidence. I came back from Afghanistan a little messed up, a lot more angry, and not sure what to do with myself. I didn't seek help from the VA because I found help in the form of my closest friends and battle buddies. I didn't want to make light of other soldiers' in my unit suffering PTSD that experienced much worse over there than I did. I felt like I hadn't "earned" the right to feel the way I did because a majority of my time was spent viewing the fight from a camera in the sky. Only occasionally did I get to go out and live it.

No, you will not find me in the VA statistics of those suffering from PTSD or any kind of emotional scars because I did not go to them for help. There are countless others just like me. I'm "pretty sure" he's right that those statistics are way lower than what it actually is.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:39 PM   #47
nebo1ss
macrumors 68000

There was a similar case a few years back where this guys car broke down in front of a house and he knocked on the door to ask for help. He was shot dead through the door without the shooter evening opening the door. If I remember correctly the victim was Chinese American and the shooter got off.

Sad world we live in.
nebo1ss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:45 PM   #48
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
You mean the stereotype portrayed precedes them. According to this article, it states 15.2%-31% of male Vietnam veterans have PTSD. There's a whole 70% of the veterans he could be a part of. Your thought is based on a stereotype and little more until evidence comes out otherwise.

What does this have to do with the discussion?
I'm a vietnam veteran with PTSD and I don't own any weapons. And never will.

just sayin'
Peace is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:47 PM   #49
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
You want evidence? I'm the evidence.
Your single account is not evidence. The studies I cited surveyed many veterans and used their years of experience to calculate statistics to get a reasonable assessment of the situation. While their numbers are likely no correct to infinite decimal places, I trust their stats within a few percentage points.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I'm a vietnam veteran with PTSD and I don't own any weapons. And never will.

just sayin'
I never made claims that Veterans with PTSD own weapons.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:48 PM   #50
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Your single account is not evidence. The studies I cited surveyed many veterans and used their years of experience to calculate statistics to get a reasonable assessment of the situation.

----------

I never made claims that Veterans with PTSD own weapons.
Oh. I know. Just trying to back up your statement.

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues