Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:34 AM   #76
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

The driver was reportedly using Apple maps for directions.
Puevlo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:28 AM   #77
Hawkeye16
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
Funny, I would have said his mistake was firing on someone because they pulled into his driveway. The Castle Doctrine has been carried too far if you're allowed to shoot someone just for pulling off a public street.
That is not what the castle doctrine covers. There are a FEW cases where it covers incidents outside of the structures on the property (when a theft is being committed I have heard of those, although still don't agree with cause life was not in danger).

The castle doctrine is a good thing and should only be applied to the interior of the house. If someone breaks into my house - I know they don't care about the law and I do not know their intent. Even without a castle doctrine in my state they will be shot until they drop or start retreating (after a verbal warning of course).
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:03 AM   #78
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 View Post
That is not what the castle doctrine covers. There are a FEW cases where it covers incidents outside of the structures on the property (when a theft is being committed I have heard of those, although still don't agree with cause life was not in danger).

The castle doctrine is a good thing and should only be applied to the interior of the house. If someone breaks into my house - I know they don't care about the law and I do not know their intent. Even without a castle doctrine in my state they will be shot until they drop or start retreating (after a verbal warning of course).
I don't think this is unreasonable.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:41 PM   #79
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 View Post
That is not what the castle doctrine covers.
That's why I wrote "if." The idea being that the Castle Doctrine is limited to the home, but people have tried to push this envelope outward to include cars and other property.

Quote:
...There are a FEW cases where it covers incidents outside of the structures on the property (when a theft is being committed I have heard of those, although still don't agree with cause life was not in danger).
Right.

Quote:
...The castle doctrine is a good thing and should only be applied to the interior of the house. If someone breaks into my house - I know they don't care about the law and I do not know their intent. Even without a castle doctrine in my state they will be shot until they drop or start retreating (after a verbal warning of course).
Sure and that's an important distinction.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:50 PM   #80
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
The driver was reportedly using Apple maps for directions.
A young man was tragically killed and you want to make a joke out of it ?

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues