Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:14 AM   #1
jqc
macrumors member

End of push Gmail on iOS

Surprised theres not more noise about this; starting today Google is not supporting active sync, which means setting up gmail through exchange on iOS to get push gmail is no longer available. Sure its there for existing users but it looks like if you buy a new device in the future you're out of luck. Assume its the same for iOS upgrades if you do a full wipe, so people who like to do that are out of luck too.

Sure you can use the gmail app i guess but it means you dont get a unified inbox and for those who hate the gmail interface (like i do) it really sucks!!
jqc is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:21 AM   #2
chestvrg
macrumors 6502a

I feel bad too. I have all my contacts, calendar entries on google. Not to mention google drive (has saved my beef in times). I don't know what to do my self, if to just get an android device or find lternatives.

Currently my gmail is set up as EAS (exchange active sun), and the only way I can see all my contact and calendar entries is via active sync. If God forbids and something happens to my iPhone, I'll be SOL.

In the mean time I will begin migrating all my calendar entries to icloud until I'm able to find an alternate solution.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:35 AM   #3
caesarp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
I feel bad too. I have all my contacts, calendar entries on google. Not to mention google drive (has saved my beef in times). I don't know what to do my self, if to just get an android device or find lternatives.

Currently my gmail is set up as EAS (exchange active sun), and the only way I can see all my contact and calendar entries is via active sync. If God forbids and something happens to my iPhone, I'll be SOL.

In the mean time I will begin migrating all my calendar entries to icloud until I'm able to find an alternate solution.
Hotmail uses exchange active synch. No issues with using push email for hotmail (or outlook mail) whatever they want to call it now.
caesarp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:42 AM   #4
dinggus
Banned

I use fetch, so I don't see an issue.
dinggus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:43 AM   #5
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a

I cannot search for emails on the server when it's setup through gmail active sync. Do you guys have that issue? That's why I've been using IMAP instead.
KoukiFC3S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:55 AM   #6
bloutrein
Banned

I exclusively and only use the Gmail app which delivers push notifications upon new email and features a Gmail-like inbox environment. So I guess, I don't need to set up Exchange on my iPhone when it comes to mail.
bloutrein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:03 AM   #7
caesarp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
Fetch is at least 15 minutes. Push is immediate. Depends on how important you are (or think you are)!!!
caesarp is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:16 AM   #8
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
Fetch is at least 15 minutes. Push is immediate. Depends on how important you are (or think you are)!!!
I never noticed the difference. So, I'm assuming Google is trying to make iPhone users switch to Android?
dinggus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqc View Post
Surprised theres not more noise about this
As you've said, existing users won't see a difference, so there's not going to be much to talk about.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:25 AM   #10
waldo98
macrumors newbie

I've already switched over to CardDAV for my Google contacts and calendar syncing, plus I use the Gmail app for e-mail.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/a...1369&ctx=topic
waldo98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:27 AM   #11
caesarp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I never noticed the difference. So, I'm assuming Google is trying to make iPhone users switch to Android?
Acutally there is one big difference, which can be annoying if you have multiple iOS devices (i.e. ipad and iphone).

For instance, with active synch, exchange, you get an email pushed to you on your gmail account (or hotmail or work/exchange). You then delete it.

With push/active synch, that email is then deleted across all your devices and everything matches everywhere automatically in your inbox. With fetch though, that same email stays on your other devices.

It can be rather annoying to have to delete the same email across multiple devices. If you have only one "i" device, maybe not a big deal.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
As you've said, existing users won't see a difference, so there's not going to be much to talk about.
If they have mulitiple devices they will see a difference. Push/active synch maintains consistency automatically across multiple devices for your inbox.

Othewise, you delete an email on your iphone and it still is in your inbox on your ipad. Can be very very annoying.
caesarp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:33 AM   #12
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

So if I have gmail set up as an exchange on my iPad and iPhone, I will still get my push emails. But if I restore my device and need to set up my email again, it won't work? I only have it pushing emails. It's not set up for calendar or contacts. or is this for existing accounts that have it...not just newly made ones.

Last edited by dictoresno; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:39 AM   #13
skitzogreg
macrumors 6502

Is there a source for this explaining the removal? I did a quick 24 hour search and didn't find anything.
iPhone 5 64GB
skitzogreg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:03 AM   #14
coffeemadmanUK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzogreg View Post
Is there a source for this explaining the removal? I did a quick 24 hour search and didn't find anything.
Yeah I haven't heard anything about this either.
coffeemadmanUK is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:03 AM   #15
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemadmanUK View Post
Yeah I haven't heard anything about this either.
Google it. Apparently articles announcing this were published back in December.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413283,00.asp
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:10 AM   #16
coffeemadmanUK
macrumors regular

I'm not very savvy apparently so this might be a stupid question - but is this affecting just those who tap "Exchange" when setting up email or does it affect those who tap "Gmail" to set up their email?
coffeemadmanUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:10 AM   #17
IronWaffle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Acutally there is one big difference, which can be annoying if you have multiple iOS devices (i.e. ipad and iphone).

For instance, with active synch, exchange, you get an email pushed to you on your gmail account (or hotmail or work/exchange). You then delete it.

With push/active synch, that email is then deleted across all your devices and everything matches everywhere automatically in your inbox. With fetch though, that same email stays on your other devices.

It can be rather annoying to have to delete the same email across multiple devices. If you have only one "i" device, maybe not a big deal.

----------

If they have mulitiple devices they will see a difference. Push/active synch maintains consistency automatically across multiple devices for your inbox.

Othewise, you delete an email on your iphone and it still is in your inbox on your ipad. Can be very very annoying.
Ugh. I have a Touch coming today and will be restoring from a recent backup. Since I bounce back and forth with my iPad, this looks to be an annoying wrinkle.
IronWaffle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:27 AM   #18
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemadmanUK View Post
I'm not very savvy apparently so this might be a stupid question - but is this affecting just those who tap "Exchange" when setting up email or does it affect those who tap "Gmail" to set up their email?
It only affects people who set up Gmail as "Exchange." Setting up using "Gmail" in the iOS mail app uses IMAP, which is still supported.

----------

Quote:
Well, of course they'd rather you use Android. But the reason is more a business decision. ActiveSync is a proprietary standard that costs money to license. Doesn't make sense for Google to pay licenses to Microsoft for e-mail accounts it's giving away from free.

Note that Exchange ActiveSync WILL still work on paid Google accounts. Because again, Google is making money off those accounts, so it makes a little bit of sense to keep paying licensing fees for them.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:36 AM   #19
chestvrg
macrumors 6502a

I assume if I have to replace to another iOS device, setting up gmail as exchange will not bring back all my contacts & calendar entries.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:07 AM   #20
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
If they have mulitiple devices they will see a difference.
That's not what I meant.

Millions of people already have Exchange ActiveSync set up with their free Google Account. Unless those people get a new device, nothing will change. There wasn't going to be a sudden influx of people asking about why something has suddenly changed today.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:14 AM   #21
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That's not what I meant.

Millions of people already have Exchange ActiveSync set up with their free Google Account. Unless those people get a new device, nothing will change. There wasn't going to be a sudden influx of people asking about why something has suddenly changed today.
What if we restore as new? We are screwed?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:38 AM   #22
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
What if we restore as new? We are screwed?
I don't think so.

The iPhone uses its serial number as a unique identifier in Exchange ActiveSync systems.

That wouldn't change when you restore your device, so it should continue to work.

We don't really know how Google is/will be stopping people adding new devices.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:52 AM   #23
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I don't think so.

The iPhone uses its serial number as a unique identifier in Exchange ActiveSync systems.

That wouldn't change when you restore your device, so it should continue to work.

We don't really know how Google is/will be stopping people adding new devices.
I sure hope that's right.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:11 PM   #24
nburwell
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Same here. I don't need to read my emails as soon as they are on the server. If something is important, I'll get a call or text.
nburwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:12 PM   #25
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Whne you look at the big picture it seems that Android and Apple are starting to build Silos around them, excluding things they allowed in the past, which means if they make it painful to share services users will either go all iOS or go all Android. With them not even supporting Microsoft, just shows that Android does not want to participate with MS, and I hope MS does the same, although this is not good for MS who is trying to attract customers to their platform.

I think eventually Apple will not support Android stuff inside iOS, but instead make you use apps to utilize Google account stuff like, email, cal and contacts as well as other services, and I see Google doing the same.

The big question is how will BB and MS survive since their eco system is not as strong as Apple or Google

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6