Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:26 PM   #26
Satnam1989
Banned

I feel there is some sort of miscommunication because the way I saw it, it wasnt related to device...or at least what they meant for new device was that if you sign up for a new gmail/google account..........

from some of the research I did i was sure that it only affected NEW ACCOUNTS/USERS signing up to Google/Gmail....for existing accounts it would not affect them regardless you use it on a old or a newer device in the future...its more account based as to when it was created than device....

correct me if im wrong..
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:34 PM   #27
sentinelsx
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqc View Post
for those who hate the gmail interface (like i do) it really sucks!!
I find it pretty good actually. Especially love the way labels are handled in it just like on my PC browsers. No complaints.

Sure no unified inbox but i like to keep my work and email in-boxes separate anyways.

EDIT: not e-mail, meant "pleasure", sigh.

Last edited by sentinelsx; Jan 30, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
sentinelsx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:23 PM   #28
jqc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
As you've said, existing users won't see a difference, so there's not going to be much to talk about.
yes but Im an existing user, what about if they want to go from iphone 4s to 5? or 6 or 7?, will the functionality transfer? I want to upgrade to 6.1 but I want to do it through and restore, will I lose push email?

The way I read it its per device. So next upgrade of any iOS device and existing users are SOL. Thats the issue Im talking about, not that people will lose this function all of a sudden.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
I feel there is some sort of miscommunication because the way I saw it, it wasnt related to device...or at least what they meant for new device was that if you sign up for a new gmail/google account..........

from some of the research I did i was sure that it only affected NEW ACCOUNTS/USERS signing up to Google/Gmail....for existing accounts it would not affect them regardless you use it on a old or a newer device in the future...its more account based as to when it was created than device....

correct me if im wrong..
thats not how I read it, I read it as device....I hope you're right because that would solve *my* concern

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinelsx View Post
I find it pretty good actually. Especially love the way labels are handled in it just like on my PC browsers. No complaints.

Sure no unified inbox but i like to keep my work and email in-boxes separate anyways.
agree to disagree. Glad you like it but the lack of unified inbox with my other accounts (work exchange) alone makes it an extreme setback for me.
jqc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:31 PM   #29
sentinelsx
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqc View Post
yes but Im an existing user, what about if they want to go from iphone 4s to 5? or 6 or 7?, will the functionality transfer? I want to upgrade to 6.1 but I want to do it through and restore, will I lose push email?

The way I read it its per device. So next upgrade of any iOS device and existing users are SOL. Thats the issue Im talking about, not that people will lose this function all of a sudden.

----------

thats not how I read it, I read it as device....I hope you're right because that would solve *my* concern

----------

agree to disagree. Glad you like it but the lack of unified inbox with my other accounts (work exchange) alone makes it an extreme setback for me.
Not going to discount your preferences . I do wish push was still available for gmail through default mail app.

Oh well, seems like google is confused which platform should they serve the most. They stop the support for active sync and hence decreasing the overall user experience for google users on iOS and WP, but develop nicer looking apps for iOS. Don't know what is going on in their minds.
sentinelsx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:38 PM   #30
1080p
macrumors 68000

If you absolutely need push GMail, you can pay Google $50/year as a business user...

http://www.google.com/intl/en/enterp...s/pricing.html
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:40 PM   #31
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
If you absolutely need push GMail, you can pay Google $50/year as a business user...

http://www.google.com/intl/en/enterp...s/pricing.html
Nah, not for me, would rather switch email services. Pain in the butt, but not worth spending $50.00 a year especially if I end up getting a new phone in the very near future and push is not supported even though I have been a long time gmail account user.

So is life, it is their service so they can do what they want with it.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:44 PM   #32
C DM
macrumors G4

Interesting, just today, it looks like Windows Phone users got a 6 month extension (until end of July 2013) before this functionality is removed for them: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/30/39...extension-july.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:47 PM   #33
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Interesting, just today, it looks like Windows Phone users got a 6 month extension (until end of July 2013) before this functionality is removed for them: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/30/39...extension-july.
So clearly it's just a pissing contest between Google and Apple.

I would much rather move to iCloud and pay per year than not have push email on my phone.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:48 PM   #34
Goodeye
macrumors 6502a

So my understanding is a restore from
Backup would work if you had EAS set up before the shut off. Does this change if you get a new phone thanks to AppleCare etc?

Also news is out that Windows Phone users are getting a "stay of execution" till July now.
Goodeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:15 PM   #35
blesio
macrumors regular

Today I made a full restore to iOS 6.1 and ActiveSync still works with gmail.
Maybe it's still going to work for current users. Only new accounts won't have the ability to use ActiveSync? That's what I recon.
blesio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:21 PM   #36
C DM
macrumors G4

Based on everything so far it seems that its related to new devices (vs. anything else, like restored existing devices, or new accounts, etc.).
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:06 PM   #37
Troneas
macrumors 65816

i don't use gmail - never have. i do however keep a google account so that i can use youtube.

frankly though, google is really getting on my nerves. if you thought microsoft was a bully in the 90s google has certainly found a way to make them look like saints.

i get it that google wants people to use their products and services - but their methods is precisely what keeps me away from them. i was forced to create a gmail account to use youtube. why? that created me a google+ account which i never wanted (and to my surprise - i could remove it though i am not entirely sure if it has been in fact removed). people will use their products if they are good - not because they shove them down people's throats.

microsoft ultimately failed with IE when people realised it was crap.

they should really learn to follow apple's example. i don't need an apple email to have an apple ID. i dont need to use apple maps or safari on their iphone...
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:42 PM   #38
jqc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesio View Post
Today I made a full restore to iOS 6.1 and ActiveSync still works with gmail.
Maybe it's still going to work for current users. Only new accounts won't have the ability to use ActiveSync? That's what I recon.
to clarify did you do a full restore and set up gmail as new or did your restore your gmail settings from a back up?
jqc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:47 PM   #39
blesio
macrumors regular

Oh, no, no backup. Didn't restore a thing
Set up the phone as new. Gmail account just to check if it still works like before. I don't use gmail, switched to @me some time ago. To clarify, ActiveSync works, even with Push new test mail arrived instantly on the phone.
blesio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:13 PM   #40
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesio View Post
Oh, no, no backup. Didn't restore a thing
Set up the phone as new. Gmail account just to check if it still works like before. I don't use gmail, switched to @me some time ago. To clarify, ActiveSync works, even with Push new test mail arrived instantly on the phone.
well considering its still 1/30, lets see what happens tomorrow and if anyone has feedback if they restore and set up as new. that would give us the answer.
dictoresno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:15 PM   #41
iErick
macrumors member

I always relied on exchange for my gmail account. I always had issues with contacts disappearing. I started using IMAP and cardDAV. Haven't had one issue since. I like the way IMAP handles calendar and contacts better. I can live with a 15 minute at most delay for my personal e-mail.

My work account is a education google apps account, I kept that as exchange for just mail only for instant e-mail.
iErick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:23 AM   #42
Mercenary
macrumors 6502a

If you restore an existing device you will be fine. If you restore to a new device it will not work.

What they have done is disable the ability to REGISTER a new device with their servers.

I personally think it sucks. Push email is where its at right now. I know you can use their Gmail app but its slow to load, has no unified inbox and isnt set as the default mail app so I still need to have Gmail setup anyway in the built in mail app if I want to be able to send from other apps. Why do I want my email on there twice? I dont!
Mercenary is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:14 AM   #43
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

Excuse my ignorance here but does anybody know why Google are no longer supporting push email on iOS? Seems a little silly considering how many people across the globe use Gmail and own iPhones. Are they trying to push people away?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:38 AM   #44
jqc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
If you restore an existing device you will be fine. If you restore to a new device it will not work.

What they have done is disable the ability to REGISTER a new device with their servers.

I personally think it sucks. Push email is where its at right now. I know you can use their Gmail app but its slow to load, has no unified inbox and isnt set as the default mail app so I still need to have Gmail setup anyway in the built in mail app if I want to be able to send from other apps. Why do I want my email on there twice? I dont!
Agreed. I also did a full restore and set up as new my iPhone 5 and mini last night. Push gmail works so can confirm this method works for devices that have been using push gmail
jqc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:54 AM   #45
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
I assume if I have to replace to another iOS device, setting up gmail as exchange will not bring back all my contacts & calendar entries.
Not through Exchange, but your iOS device can still access that information using CalDAV and CardDAV.

http://support.google.com/calendar/b...&answer=151674
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/a...answer=2753077

CardDAV and CalDAV are the same standards used by iCloud to sync calendars and contacts to iOS and OS X devices. It's just that there isn't a one-step interface to do it through Google, so some extra steps will be required to set it up initially.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
Excuse my ignorance here but does anybody know why Google are no longer supporting push email on iOS? Seems a little silly considering how many people across the globe use Gmail and own iPhones. Are they trying to push people away?
Read my post about this. It explains the business reasoning behind it. Not to mention the obvious: Google would just rather you use an Android device, or failing that, their app.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
So clearly it's just a pissing contest between Google and Apple.
As much as people would love to think this is a deliberate dig at Apple, the more likely explanation is that there just isn't a GMail app available for Windows Phone yet, so Google is extending the cut off date while they look into that.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:56 AM   #46
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Read my post about this. It explains the business reasoning behind it. Not to mention the obvious: Google would just rather you use an Android device, or failing that, their app.
Thanks for the link. Google need to invest a little more time and money into their OS before I consider returning to Android. I left because Android was far too buggy for my liking. If the ability to use push email on my iPhone ever disappears it'll be far cheaper to change email provider than phone manufacturer. I know what I will be doing and think this is rather short sighted by Google. There might be a war between the big companies but its only ever going to affect the consumer and we are the people they need to make their business work.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:21 AM   #47
daneoni
macrumors G4

what a PITA, why is Google doing this? guess its time to migrate to iCloud.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:13 AM   #48
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
well considering its still 1/30, lets see what happens tomorrow and if anyone has feedback if they restore and set up as new. that would give us the answer.
I was using an IMAP Gmail account on my phone. Just setup an exchange Gmail account and it worked with no problems. I sent myself a test email and came through immediately... the IMAP gmail account didnt get it right away. I've never had an activesync Gmail account on my iPhone 5 So it seems you can still add new accounts for now.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:34 AM   #49
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post
I was using an IMAP Gmail account on my phone. Just setup an exchange Gmail account and it worked with no problems. I sent myself a test email and came through immediately... the IMAP gmail account didnt get it right away. I've never had an activesync Gmail account on my iPhone 5 So it seems you can still add new accounts for now.
thanks for the update.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:57 AM   #50
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
what a PITA, why is Google doing this? guess its time to migrate to iCloud.
But iCloud has that annoyance where the badge for new email on one device doesn't go away until you open the app (the app only updates when new mail comes in or you open the app).
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6