Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
webstarcool
macrumors newbie

MBA 2012 running hot! Help

I have a MBA 2012 with i7 and 8 GB of RAM. What bothers me is that it doesn't take a lot of activity on the computer before the fans start kicking in. I loved my MBA 2012 as it ran quiet most of the time, but I am very dissapointed with my new MBA as it is not as quiet as the old one.

It doesn't take a lot more than playing YouTube video before the MBA get's too hot. Was expecting a little bit more from Apple.

I'm wondering if the cooling/CPU actually was tested properly before they decided to offer that option. Maybe they only tried with the i5 and assumed the i7 would run the same way.

What are your experiences?
webstarcool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

Sounds normal to me. You would prefer that the cooling fans did not work?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:08 AM   #3
webstarcool
macrumors newbie

Of course I want them to work, but I don't see it's necessary they have to run like my vacuum cleaner. My older MBA was not as noisy. You like noisy notebooks?
webstarcool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Saturn1217
macrumors 6502a

Have you tried smc fan control? I have the same computer and I haven't noticed much of an issue with heat or fan noise.

My experience has been that the computer idles lower than I'm used to (at ~45C now) which is much better than my old 2009 MBP (idled around 55-60C after using it for a while).

But it does heat up easier to say 60C which is completely fine with me. And If I am ever concerned about heat I can turn the fans to 3000rpm and it is much quieter than my old computer. I'm sitting in a quiet room right now with my fans set to 3000rpms which was enough to control the heat while watching a youtube video and I can't hear anything unless I put my ear next to the keyboard.

Not trying to invalidate your experiences but perhaps smc fan control will work for you too.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Nimravus
macrumors member

I got the i5 and use no case for just this reason. My fans hardly ever turn on even when editing 1080p video or watching video. Might be that the i7's runs hotter?

Do you have a case on your MBA? Those are heat insulators pretty much providing basically scratch protection, add a keyboard protector and it becomes an oven.

Also, I think ambient temp makes a huge difference. If the room is not cool the MBA won't dissipate heat as easily?
Nimravus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:43 PM   #6
durruti
macrumors regular

Flash is notorious for using resources on Mac OS.

Try html5 on youtube, if available.
durruti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:47 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by webstarcool View Post
I have a MBA 2012 with i7 and 8 GB of RAM. What bothers me is that it doesn't take a lot of activity on the computer before the fans start kicking in. I loved my MBA 2012 as it ran quiet most of the time, but I am very dissapointed with my new MBA as it is not as quiet as the old one.

It doesn't take a lot more than playing YouTube video before the MBA get's too hot.
It sounds quite normal. Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
(PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air