Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:38 AM   #1
PalacePlayers
macrumors member

I need 128 GB, but should I buy iPad 4 128 GB?

The question might seem odd, but hear me out. In Norway we don't have access to iTunes Match, so my 50 GB of music totally kills my iOS devices (and I don't like Spotify). My first iPad was an iPad 3, which I liked, but due to the retina apps taking insane amounts of space and the whole device being too heavy for my use, I bought an iPad mini. Non-retina looks bad, but the upside is that the apps are smaller so I can actually have a few apps.

But as my music collection grows, the iPad mini can't store apps and music anymore. I need an 128 GB iPad or iTunes Match.

So my question is: should I sell my mini and buy an iPad 4 with 128? I don't like the design and I think it's too heavy, but the retina is screen is gorgeous.

The most important factor is when the iPad 5 comes out. Is there a chance it will be out this spring, or will it be next fall? I don't want to buy an iPad 4 and then have the iPad 5 being released in a month. But I could buy an iPad 4 and keep it a half year and sell it just before the iPad 5 comes out without loosing too much. What do you guys think?

Last edited by PalacePlayers; Jan 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
PalacePlayers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:44 AM   #2
bufffilm
macrumors 6502

simply wait for the ipad5 and buy the 128gb version then. don't even bother thinking about getting the ipad4 and then reselling it. if even half the rumors or expectations of the ipad5 come true, the ipad4 will become the ipad3 eg. the ugly stepchild, in terms of desirablility.

personally, i would never keep that much music (50GB is overkill) on the ipad when there are better options (ipod) out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalacePlayers View Post
The question might seem odd, but hear me out. In Norway we don't have iTunes Match, so my 50 GB of music totally kills my iOS devices (and I don't like Spotify). My first iPad was an iPad 3, which I liked, but due to the retina apps taking insane amounts of space and the whole device being too heavy for my use, I bought an iPad mini. Non-retina looks bad, but the upside is that the apps are smaller so I can actually have a few apps.

But as my music collection grows, the iPad mini can't store apps and music anymore. I need an 128 GB iPad or iTunes Match.

So my question is: should I selø my mini and buy an iPad 4 with 128? I don't like the design and I think it's too heavy, but the retina is screen is gorgeous.

The most important factor is when the iPad 5 comes out. Is there a chance it will be out this spring, or will it be next fall? I don't want to buy an iPad 4 and then have the iPad 5 being released in a month. What do you guys think?

Last edited by bufffilm; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
bufffilm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:46 AM   #3
BmMac427
macrumors member

Wait until March and see what happens. If nothing, go with the 4 if you need the space.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:12 AM   #4
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
...So my question is: should I selø my mini and buy an iPad 4 with 128? I don't like the design and I think it's too heavy, but the retina is screen is gorgeous.

The most important factor is when the iPad 5 comes out. Is there a chance it will be out this spring, or will it be next fall? I don't want to buy an iPad 4 and then have the iPad 5 being released in a month. What do you guys think?
There will most likely be an Apple event for the iPad 5, so if there are no events are in the Spring then there will not be an iPad 5 in the Spring. Sell your Mini right before the next Apple event.

Until I got my 64Gb iPhone I used a smart playlist to manage the music on my low-capacity iPhones.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Menel
macrumors 601

"Need" LOL.

50GB is a lot of music.

Make playlists for different moods, activities etc. Sync just them.

My Spotify app with 12 playlists covers multiple for driving, studying, reading, working. 40-90 tracks each. 1.7GB total used for storage.

Or pay the storage tax for lack of organization.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:22 AM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

If it were me, I would figure a way to reduce the amount of music I carry with me rather than buying new hardware.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:40 AM   #7
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufffilm View Post
simply wait for the ipad5 and buy the 128gb version then. don't even bother thinking about getting the ipad4 and then reselling it. if even half the rumors or expectations of the ipad5 come true, the ipad4 will become the ipad3 eg. the ugly stepchild, in terms of desirablility.
This is your answer. There wasn't a "huge" leap by any means between 3 and 4. Processor bump is nice, but as far as "that's a completely redesigned device", there hasn't been any of that recently. The 5th generation iPad is going to be the one to have due to the form factor upgrade AND component upgrades. (And don't even act like it won't have both...it will)
jamesryanbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:41 AM   #8
spooky23
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufffilm View Post

Exactly. Because the moment a new ipad is released, Apple release software updates that deem older models redundant thus turning them into a glorified brick, so heavy to hold you have to have to pay random strangers to lend a hand you when using it.

Buy the ipad that suits your need, buy it when you need it. And remember, if you wait until the Fall and buy one then, it will also be redundant 8 months later.
spooky23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:17 AM   #9
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
If it were me, I would figure a way to reduce the amount of music I carry with me rather than buying new hardware.
This. Signing up for iTunes Match for 24.99 would easily solve this problem. I have my 15,000+ song library on both of my 32 GB devices. I may never get anything more than 32 unless apps start becoming bigger than 2 GB.

EDIT* Oops, no iTunes Match in Norway. You may try Smart Playlists.

Last edited by HazyCloud; Jan 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:23 AM   #10
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

iTunes match or Amazon Cloud for those who need access to all their music.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
In his post, the OP clearly states:
In Norway we don't have iTunes Match...

That pretty well eliminates the possibility of him using that tool, then, eh?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:26 AM   #12
StevethePirate
Banned

Quote:
The question might seem odd, but hear me out. In Norway we don't have iTunes Match
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
iTunes match or Amazon Cloud for those who need access to all their music.
, love the sig btw.
StevethePirate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:31 AM   #13
PalacePlayers
macrumors member

I see that a lot of people are saying I should "find a way to organize my music" or buy an iTunes Match subscription.

Music is a great passion for me, and I listen to it for about 6-7 hours a day. You quickly get tired of your music if you only have a selection of moody playlist to listen to. I usually buy about 2 new albums a week and actually listen to the whole thing. My whole music collection consists of whole albums that I like. In 320 kbps that easily adds up to 50 GB after a while. 100$ isn't so much when the alternative is to either use the horrid Spotify app, or constantly have to pick and try to predict which albums you might want to listen to the next day. Therefore 128 GB is a very valid option for me.

Of course I would buy iTunes Match, but if you guys read the OP, it says that iTunes Match isn't avaliable in Norway.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:32 AM   #14
tigres
macrumors 68040

I personally find the 128GB iPad price beyond expensive. It's not a laptop, but certainly priced as one at that point.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:36 AM   #15
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
I see that a lot of people are saying I should "find a way to organize my music" or buy an iTunes Match subscription.

Music is a great passion for me, and I listen to it for about 6-7 hours a day. You quickly get tired of your music if you only selection of moody playlist. I buy about 2 new albums a week and actually listen to the whole thing. My whole music collection consists of whole albums that I like. In 320 kbps that easily adds up to 50 GB for a while. 100$ isn't so much when the alternative is to either use the horrid Spotify app, or constantly have to pick and try to predict which albums you might want to listen to the next day. Therefore 128 GB is a very valid option for me.

Of course I would buy iTunes Match, but if you guys read the OP, it says that iTunes Match isn't avaliable in Norway.
Then I would suggest getting an iPod classic which has a 160GB capacity. Yeah, it is an extra device to carry around and charge but to me it seems more effective than getting a new iPad and it has more storage than the new iPad. In addition you can start using your iPad for something other than listening to music.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:40 AM   #16
PalacePlayers
macrumors member

Quote:
Then I would suggest getting an iPod classic which has a 160GB capacity. Yeah, it is an extra device to carry around and charge but to me it seems more effective than getting a new iPad and it has more storage than the new iPad.
I fail to see how getting another device to play my music when I already use my iPad for about everything, could be more effective at all. It doesn't even have AirPlay. I think what you mean is that it would be cheaper.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:44 AM   #17
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
I fail to see how getting another device to play my music when I already use my iPad for about everything, could be more effective at all. It doesn't even have AirPlay. I think what you mean is that it would be cheaper.
I thought I laid out my reasons fairly clearly, but incase I didn't:

1. iPod classic 160GB has more storage than the iPad. It has about 3 times the space as your music collection, while the iPad only has just over twice the space.

2. Since your ever growing, must have every song with me music collection is no longer filling up your iPad, you can start doing more on your iPad. Movies, photos, apps, etc.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:48 AM   #18
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

OP it sounds like you've mostly set your heart on this anyway so just do it.

But I ask you this, if Apple had not announced 128gb - and had saved that till Fall would you have been so desperate for a 128gb ipad right now, or would you have been happily 'making do', with your current setup.

If you can make do, why not hold on until the autumn and buy an iPad 5 with 128gb.
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:50 AM   #19
PalacePlayers
macrumors member

Quote:
I thought I laid out my reasons fairly clearly, but incase I didn't:

1. iPod classic 160GB has more storage than the iPad. It has about 3 times the space as your music collection, while the iPad only has just over twice the space.

2. Since your ever growing, must have every song with me music collection is no longer filling up your iPad, you can start doing more on your iPad. Movies, photos, apps, etc.
I see your points, but there are just so many downsides:
- The device sucks: clickwheel plain doesn't cut it when you have so many artists and albums
- I have to carry another device with me.
- It doesn't have AirPlay

I don't think I need 160 GB of storage space in a few years. By then I hope iTunes Match is released in Norway. 128 will be enough for 2-3 years.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:53 AM   #20
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
In the US the only way the iPod Classic is cheaper is if you get the 16GB iPad.

The 128GB iPad is $200 more expensive than the 32GB iPad, and the iPod Classic is $250.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:55 AM   #21
305rob305
macrumors member

Bad idea... If it doesn't come out in March then for sure it will come out towards the end of the year. Sucks to wait till March or April buying it and then the 5 comes out few months later. Either you get it now or wait for the 5 when it comes out sometime this year for sure
305rob305 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:56 AM   #22
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
... But I could buy an iPad 4 and keep it a half year and sell it just before the iPad 5 comes out without loosing too much. What do you guys think?
I think that's a great idea given your circumstances and preferences. The only risk is that you might lose a little more if Apple drops the price of the 128gb later in the year. To me, it seems a bit overpriced for an iPad - even right now. Who knows where tablet price points will be in 6 months?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:57 AM   #23
PalacePlayers
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
OP it sounds like you've mostly set your heart on this anyway so just do it.

But I ask you this, if Apple had not announced 128gb - and had saved that till Fall would you have been so desperate for a 128gb ipad right now, or would you have been happily 'making do', with your current setup.

If you can make do, why not hold on until the autumn and buy an iPad 5 with 128gb.
Now that's a good point. I've always wanted a 128 GB iPad, but on the other hand I've always wanted a much lighter iPad too..

Sorry if I seem like a douche in some of my replies, but I'm just trying to find out what fits my needs the best. I appreciate all of your suggestions!

Last edited by PalacePlayers; Jan 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
PalacePlayers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:00 PM   #24
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

What about other cloud services for your music? It wouldn't be integrated with your Music app, but you might get the streaming you want.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:05 PM   #25
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Or maybe a wireless drive that has far more room to grow and can be used with any future iPad?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wirele...+wireless+plus
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad