Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:37 AM   #1
nanogirl21
macrumors 6502

Where do you buy your iPhones?

Just curious where do you guys buy your iPhones. I am a Sprint customer and every time I purchase from the Sprint store I always have problems. When I got my 4s I had soo many problems that I got tired of going to the Sprint store to exchange it. I finally went to the Apple Store and have not had any problems since then.

There is always a massive line at the Apple Store when new releases come out. Why are there not massive (or semi-long) lines at the actual phone companies store?

I am in a new state (FL) and am trying to plan for my upcoming upgrade that is around the time the new phone is predicted to come out. Do you guys recommend going to the apple store, pre-ordering the phone, or going to the actual Sprint store?
nanogirl21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Does Apple ship shoddy phones to the carriers? Unlikely that Apple would shoot itself in the foot. So am going guess either bad luck or bad karma at Sprint store.

There is always a line at Apple Store because it's an event. You can appear on TV, and the Apples employees, like give you a red carpet entrance or something and give you a big cheer when you walk out with the phone.

Pre-ordering does not guarantee you are going to get phone first. But if that gets you a phone right to your doors wo the hassle of dealing with the stores then yes go ahead.

U already want the next phone for sure? U don't want to know if it has scuff-gate, antenna-gate, bent-gate etc. Let the bleeding edge people deal with it first, work out the bugs, THEN... oh who am I kidding.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:39 AM   #3
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

I usually purchase all my mobile devices from my carrier (VZW). It's mostly a convenience thing. When I feel like it, I can just charge the device to my bill and pay for it 30 days later, interest free.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:42 AM   #4
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Apple store to avoid obnoxious people at carriers who don't want to sell you an iPhone or think they know more than you do.
old-wiz is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:48 AM   #5
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
Apple store to avoid obnoxious people at carriers who don't want to sell you an iPhone or think they know more than you do.
+1 never had a problem buying an iPhone from an Apple Store
pnoyblazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:56 AM   #6
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Usually an Apple store, but for the iPhone 5 I got it at Best Buy because they were running a rare sale on new model iPhones (new, not refurbs) for $50 off. The experience was less smooth than at an Apple store that's for sure but they got the job done.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:00 AM   #7
scorpio1973
macrumors 6502

I usually purchase from Apple, but this year it was AT&T because they had what I wanted at the time. I don't typically stray from either Apple or my carrier store though.
scorpio1973 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:23 AM   #8
dw3bb10
macrumors 6502

If im buying anything related to Apple, I like making my purchases from the Apple Store. Who can resist those white bags?!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:42 AM   #9
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Usually an Apple store, but for the iPhone 5 I got it at Best Buy because they were running a rare sale on new model iPhones (new, not refurbs) for $50 off. The experience was less smooth than at an Apple store that's for sure but they got the job done.
I did the exact same thing! Ended up getting my iPhone, case, and screen protector for under $200 (without the lame activation fee)
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:50 AM   #10
nanogirl21
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
scuff-gate, antenna-gate, bent-gate etc. Let the bleeding edge people deal with it first, work out the bugs, THEN... oh who am I kidding.

what do you mean by (whatever)-gate?
nanogirl21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:10 PM   #11
Baggio
macrumors 6502

apple.com

Dealing with sales reps in the carrier stores is usually not worth my time.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:16 PM   #12
Peanut207
macrumors 6502

Apple Store App.
Peanut207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:29 PM   #13
nefan65
macrumors 65816

Got our 3G, and 4 at the AT&T store. Got the 5 at the Apple store. The latter was bought during the first week of the 5 rollout, and had it delivered to the store. Who knows next time?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:45 PM   #14
CEmajr
macrumors 68020

I usually get them direct from apple or apple.com but I got my 5 from Best Buy since they had the $50 off.

Nothing wrong with getting them from the carrier either though. I ordered my 4s from AT&T online and had it at my door on release day with no problems.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:58 PM   #15
WalterRead
macrumors newbie

Yeah I think apple store might be the right option, though I'm still looking whether to go for carrier or apple store. My wife actually wants to get a new iPhone 5 (as an upgrade from 4S). She was asking me from where she should buy it.

I will do some research whether to go for apple store or carrier, and good that I've found this thread here.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:33 PM   #16
ValerieDurden
macrumors 6502a

Always buy from my carrier.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:45 PM   #17
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Online from Apple.

Hate dealing with the goons in any retail store.

Plus, I usually get my iPhone delivered faster than you can get one on launch day, so it's a win-win.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:51 PM   #18
Goodeye
macrumors 6502a

I always go to the Apple Store for any apple devices. It's the experience and that's why. It's different buying products there rather than other retailers.
Goodeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:55 PM   #19
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

I preordered my (Sprint) iPhone from the website and received it 9am the day it released (sent to a business address). Although, I see no reason why one should expect the quality to differ based on method or location of purchase. I say do what is most convenient for you at the time.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:09 PM   #20
Nermal

I bought mine online from Telecom (so that I could get a subsidy). It wasn't the smoothest experience; they activated the new phone before sending it to me, so my old phone stopped working! Then when it arrived, there was a card in the box saying "call *333 (or whatever the number was) to activate"

The phone itself (4S) has been flawless though.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:55 PM   #21
lelisa13p
macrumors 65832

iPhone 3Gs - Purchased at local AT&T Store (Dec 2009) Passed on to Son when I upgraded to iPhone 4; he used this one until Nov 2012.

iPad 1 - Purchased at local Apple Store (April 2010) Launch Day. Passed on to Son when I upgraded to iPad 4; he is using this one since Nov 2012.

iPhone 4 - Purchased at local AT&T Store (Dec 2010) Son is using this one currently.

iPhone 5 - Pre-ordered from Apple Store app on iPhone 4 (Sept 14, 2012) Launch Day delivery.

iPad 4 - Purchased at local Apple Store (Nov 2012)

Never any problem with these devices. All in perfect condition at purchase & no hardware or software issues. Happy camper.

As you can see from my variety, it's possible to find success via various methods. Maybe that will help your confidence level for whichever purchase location you choose.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:38 PM   #22
hamiltonDSi
macrumors 6502a

My carrier, Orange Romania.
I pay 42$ per month / 2 year contact
The iPhone 5 16GB was 371$ - I got a discount with some fidelity points. The price of the phone without discount is 500$
With my contract (Panther 31 - yeah, I know, sounds really awkward) I get 2,000 carrier minutes, 2,000 carrier text messages, 250 national + international minutes, 250 national + international text messages and unlimited data.
www.orange.ro/iphone (the site is in Romanian but there is an English option somewhere if anyone is curios)

Last edited by hamiltonDSi; Jan 30, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
hamiltonDSi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:40 PM   #23
Haaker
macrumors newbie

For my past few devices, I have pre-ordered from apple.com and received them on launch day via FedEx/UPS (with the exception of the iPhone 5 - missed the initial stock by 15 minutes). I have no interest in waiting in line, camping out, dealing with carrier staff/limited availability, etc. so I will likely continue doing this.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:43 PM   #24
DorkieDoode
macrumors newbie

Apple Store. Walk in said iPhone 5 16GB white and I don't need anything else. 5 minutes transaction and I'm out.
DorkieDoode is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:43 PM   #25
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanogirl21 View Post
Just curious where do you guys buy your iPhones. I am a Sprint customer and every time I purchase from the Sprint store I always have problems. When I got my 4s I had soo many problems that I got tired of going to the Sprint store to exchange it. I finally went to the Apple Store and have not had any problems since then.

There is always a massive line at the Apple Store when new releases come out. Why are there not massive (or semi-long) lines at the actual phone companies store?

I am in a new state (FL) and am trying to plan for my upcoming upgrade that is around the time the new phone is predicted to come out. Do you guys recommend going to the apple store, pre-ordering the phone, or going to the actual Sprint store?
The first iPhone I bought in store, like 6 months after introduction. Then I stood in line for the 3GS. Then the 4S came out and I preordered it from AT&T because I couldn't get into the online Apple Store.

For the sake of convenience I recommend pre-ordering online.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone