Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shredder-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Alright, I just left the iPhone clan and went for a Nexus 4. Still a loyal macbook user though - but the syncing... it aint workin?

Id like to transfer all my contacts & ical stuff from iphone to android. how is it done? I go to preferences, enter my gmail account... and nothing happens

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Have you got your contacts and calendars on your google account?

If not that's why nothing's happening.

What I suggest is exporting your calendars and contacts (there are guides on the web) and importing them into your google account. Then you can sync with your mac, ios, android and pretty much any platform you want :)

EDIT:
from iphone to android.
If your stuff is only on your iphone at the mo you'll have to transfer it to your macbook first but that should be pretty painless

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I just sync my contacts and calendars to Google. I don't bother with iCal or Address Book on the Mac anymore, no point.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I say bite the bullet and just switch to using google for contacts, calendar, and tasks. It works on any platform without workarounds.

I did that before I got my Nexus 4 and all my contacts and whatnot were synced within minutes of me turning it on for the first time.

Michael

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
You should check out SmoothSync for Cloud Calendar and SmoothSync for Cloud Contacts in the Play Store.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't really want to have to make the change over to Google apps when I'm still using my Mac and iPad.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't really want to have to make the change over to Google apps when I'm still using my Mac and iPad.

Because of the more cross platform nature of Google products, they will work much better on your Mac than your Apple products will work with your Android phone.

Its much better to put in the effort now and convert to Google products. Once this is done everything will be available to you whether on Linux, Mac, Windows, Android or iOS.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Alright, I just left the iPhone clan and went for a Nexus 4. Still a loyal macbook user though - but the syncing... it aint workin?

Id like to transfer all my contacts & ical stuff from iphone to android. how is it done? I go to preferences, enter my gmail account... and nothing happens

I just switched from an IP5 to an HTC One so just went through all this.
First step is to make sure all is synced with iTunes and backed up on the iphone.
Then install iSyncr
http://www.jrtstudio.com/iSyncr-iTunes-for-Android
Then install Rocket Player for Android
http://www.jrtstudio.com/Rocket-Player-Android-Media-Player
I was able to sync all my music and playlists this way and it has worked great!
As others have pointed out the best way to sync calendar and contacts in Android is through Google.... Hope this helps

JasonMK

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2013
Synch Android with Mac via Google

The problem with using Google for synchronizing contacts comes if you have a lot of contacts on your Mac (I have over 3,000). If I want to delete my contacts in Google - maybe I want to start over or use a new set of contacts - Google will only let me delete 250 contacts at a time, forcing me to repeat select and delete over 12 times. What a waste of time! There ought to be a Edit/Select All/Delete feature in Google. There isn't. Free is good, poor user features is not.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
I just sync'd all my stuff via google. Music went onto the google music player (after converting), all my contacts are transfered onto google. It's actually a lot easier since I can access anything anywhere by just logging onto my google account. For email I just use the yahoo app and it works to my usage.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
The problem with using Google for synchronizing contacts comes if you have a lot of contacts on your Mac (I have over 3,000). If I want to delete my contacts in Google - maybe I want to start over or use a new set of contacts - Google will only let me delete 250 contacts at a time, forcing me to repeat select and delete over 12 times. What a waste of time! There ought to be a Edit/Select All/Delete feature in Google. There isn't. Free is good, poor user features is not.
This is like a 4 second process on my mac. Open Contacts, command-A, delete. Done. (Naturally I would backup or export them before doing something like that.) Why are you trying to do that in a web interface?

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.