Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:20 AM   #26
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Well, I'm not even slightly interested, but I suppose they're targeting buisness people, not students, so that's to be expected, right?

I can see IT departments liking BlackBerry Balance, but why would employees like it?
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:20 AM   #27
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
Let's hope they can keep up. Competition is always good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-a-a-n View Post
Looks fantastic and has some real innovative features it seems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjumper View Post
I hope it does well enough to keep Apple and Google on their toes. Competition improves the breed.
I agree with you guys (or gals).

For the past few days all I keep readying is how iOS 6.1 was disappointing and lacked any new features. Having competition in the market is always good for the consumer because then companies are forced to keep up with new trends.
saving107 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:21 AM   #28
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by polterbyte View Post
Exactly how does this qualify as a "mac rumor", or even as an "Apple rumor"?
These type of 'responses' are so predictable.

Heaven forbid that the moderators post links to non-Apple specific sites/information. Jeez, expand you horizons!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:21 AM   #29
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Awesome. Glad they are making a comeback. The more competition, the BETTER our iOS devices.
You don't even get it. What competition? There's not one single "trump card" feature that would make people switch back to Blackberry or force Apple to up their game. In fact all it looks to be is a fusion of iOS, Windows Phone 8 and Android. It's "OKAY" but not exactly a dealmaker.
HenryDJP is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:21 AM   #30
mono1980
macrumors 6502

They should also change that hideous logo. A simple BB logo might be nice...
mono1980 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:21 AM   #31
Radio
In Time-Out

Not excited
Radio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:21 AM   #32
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

I understand why Blackberry is trying to stay relevant, but at this point it's so late in the game and it's such a crowded marketplace. I don't know if they'll ever be able to gain any real traction now that they've fallen so behind.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:22 AM   #33
jhende7
macrumors regular

little late

BB 10 needed to be revolutionary to bring RIM (ok Blackberry) back from the dead, not just play catch up. Essentially the reviews say that it has almost as good a camera, almost as good battery life, almost as good screen, almost as good design, almost as fast processor, almost as much storage, almost the user friendliness and not nearly as many quality apps compared to the iPhone 5.

Now if I'm an iPhone 5 or SGS3 owner, what in the world would make me want to switch to a device that's just almost as good in most regards and way worse in some regards?

I think Windows phone has the strangle hold on the non-mainstream crowd and there's just simply no more room for companies (and there almost as good products).

my 2 cents
jhende7 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:22 AM   #34
rorschach
macrumors 68000

May be good, may suck...either way, the more choices the better.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:22 AM   #35
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Like others have said the product isnt too bad there are just way too many players they might as well cut and run before they lose everything.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:22 AM   #36
Jimrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple.net View Post
It's not 3:2, close to 16:10
Aye, I realised that would come across wrong! What I meant was that 3:2 as per older iPhones but at 4.2" size would be better, not that the Blackberry was 3:2 - still, its ratio is better than 16:9!

My bad for phrasing that poorly.
Jimrod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:23 AM   #37
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Looks excellent! Hopefully this will stop Android running away with the market with its awful software. It's also nice to see an OS thats different, now there's even more choice!

Windows Phone 8 is very nice too, same Android can't go off in its own direction like Blackberry can.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:23 AM   #38
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Device doesn't look bad, but I wouldn't switch just because of the terrible app support at the moment.

Also their Android layer only supports 2.3...which is terrible. If they upgraded that the ported Android apps wouldn't be too bad.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:23 AM   #39
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

I think BB10/Z10 is a good comeback for BlackBerry. Android and iOS needn't be worried, but Windows Phone should be.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:24 AM   #40
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

There are clearly some innovations there that surpass Apple/Android, but I think Blackberry will need to get this first generation behind them before they will start to catch up. I think these phones will buy them enough time to survive until they can release second gen devices that fix some of the shortcomings here.

I think when people predict the downfall of Blackberry, they forget the boredom factor that exists on iOS and Android. Lots of people will switch for the sole reason of having something fresh.

I enjoy my iPhone, but iOS is as stale as week old cheese left out on the counter.
barkomatic is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:24 AM   #41
vpro
macrumors 6502a

obvious look

where is the creativity and innovation?
what an ugly chunk of wasted material!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:25 AM   #42
Cloudane
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Cloudane
Can't see any reason why someone would actually choose to use a Blackberry over an iOS or Android device, without the keyboard. That was their competitive advantage. Good for them that they'll be doing a keyboard version though.
Cloudane is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:25 AM   #43
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Well, I'm not even slightly interested, but I suppose they're targeting buisness people, not students, so that's to be expected, right?

I can see IT departments liking BlackBerry Balance, but why would employees like it?
Are they targeting businesses though? BlackBerry has always been big in the corporate world, but that's because their phones had keyboards and integrated into complicated enterprise networks. It seems like they've given up those things with this new phone/OS to try to attract more traditional consumers and I don't know if that's the right track for them.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:26 AM   #44
DDaddyx2
macrumors member

There was some pretty neat stuff during the demo that Apple and Google should consider stealing.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:26 AM   #45
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

I think it's going to flop here in America. The device looks good, but the OS still looks very "BlackBerry", and not in a good way. There's some cool new features, but nothing makes it a "must have".
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:27 AM   #46
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Too little too late RIM
Who knows, maybe they can grab the third spot. Windows Phone (ugh) isn't taking the world by storm, so RIM (er, BlackBerry) may actually have a chance here. Thorsten Heinz seems smart enough to have realistic goals, and said that they are shooting for third.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:27 AM   #47
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

This might sound outrageous to tech people like us, but I feel like the VERY average consumer will see this as Android, even with that BlackBerry logo right in front of them. It looks so similar to Android that I doubt they could tell the difference...
gmanist1000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:28 AM   #48
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Welcome back and good luck Blackberry
dazed is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:29 AM   #49
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
There are clearly some innovations there that surpass Apple/Android, but I think Blackberry will need to get this first generation behind them before they will start to catch up. I think these phones will buy them enough time to survive until they can release second gen devices that fix some of the shortcomings here.

I think when people predict the downfall of Blackberry, they forget the boredom factor that exists on iOS and Android. Lots of people will switch for the sole reason of having something fresh.

I enjoy my iPhone, but iOS is as stale as week old cheese left out on the counter.[
What exactly is your definition of "innovation"? I don't see anything that Blackberry has done with the BB10 to deserve the term Innovative.

As far as the funny comment you made about iOS. Well you bought it, didn't you? It WORKS though huh?
HenryDJP is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:30 AM   #50
ant the ninja
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpro View Post
where is the creativity and innovation?
what an ugly chunk of wasted material!
These responses are so ignorant. The iPhone has only had SLIGHT changes over the years, in all seriousness, there isnt any innovation in anything after the first one.

Dont get me wrong I love the iPhone, but I'm not at all against seeing Blackberry suceed.

With that being said I am extremely excited to try these phones out, they look very promising.
ant the ninja is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion