Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:30 AM   #51
nfl46
macrumors 601

Great job, Blackberry! Not bad! I'm looking forward to it. I really like it!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:31 AM   #52
topmounter
macrumors 68000

ButtBerry would be cool.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:32 AM   #53
bushido
macrumors 601

omg they have a icon grid springboard and the phone icon is green
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:32 AM   #54
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Failure, even before launch

Blackberry's prime time is over. There's nothing they can do about it.
Wrong place, wrong time.
Blackberry's are primarily appealing to old-fart executives, those who I'm very sure don't play or care a bit about Angry Birds and 70,000 other apps.

And if it's a new proprietary OS, we already have enough with iOS, Android, WinMo, and who knows what else.

Add to that their extremely expensive Blackberry Enterprise Server to the equation. Many companies finally got rid of it and switch to the iPhone and some to Android phones, saving a lot of money. Blackberry Enterprise Server was just a toy for IS Engineers to look busy at work.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:32 AM   #55
rfahey
macrumors regular

Interested to see how their camera software works in the real world, so that apple can apply that technique to their camera software
rfahey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:33 AM   #56
polterbyte
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo1971 View Post
These type of 'responses' are so predictable.

Heaven forbid that the moderators post links to non-Apple specific sites/information. Jeez, expand you horizons!
Oh, but I do expand my horizons. It's just that I come to macrumors.com for, er, the mac rumors (and other Apple related tidbits).

I had already read the review published on The Verge and some of the articles published on Engadget about the Z10, so yeah, I had my horizons expanded before coming here.

But eh, OK by me if this site wants to become even more obsolete in the rumors front in favor of other brands' news. It already republishes much of 9to5mac, TUAW and other sources, so this (publishing half-baked articles on other platforms) seems like a logical step.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:33 AM   #57
Habakuk
macrumors 6502a

I don't care a dime about a physical keyboard (I am way faster with a virtual keyboard on iPhone and I am an experienced writer) but—after looking at the photos—this seems to be the best looking smartphone besides the iPhone (except the branding).
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:34 AM   #58
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

Blackberry? This is like seeing parachute pants come back in style.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:34 AM   #59
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

I'm excited for BB10, the phones look pretty awesome in my opinion. And frankly the multi-tasking is way ahead of any other device out there..
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:35 AM   #60
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Love the hardware, but not sure about the UI! On the other i like how it uses gesture to unlock and lock the screen without using buttons!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:37 AM   #61
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterg2 View Post
Early reviews not promising.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/30/39...rry-z10-review

BGR:

http://bgr.com/2013/01/30/blackberry...tm_medium=home

If people thought Windows Phone 8's eco system is weak, this looks far worse.
Interesting complaint is the battery life and that was one of Rimm's mainstays in the past, exceptional Batt Life??? Will be interesting to see if this works for them, I do not think it is working for Microsoft either, looks like it will be Apple and Android duking it out from here on...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:38 AM   #62
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
These responses are so ignorant. The iPhone has only had SLIGHT changes over the years, in all seriousness, there isnt any innovation in anything after the first one.

Dont get me wrong I love the iPhone, but I'm not at all against seeing Blackberry suceed.
Well I think the new BB's are "nice" but nothing terribly special. Here's where you're thinking is unfair. Apple's first iPhone has caused the rest of the industry to really do the same thing. If there was no iPhone from jump street today's smartphones wouldn't look like they do. We would still be with the old Palm Treo design. The first iPhone was a major jump in UI design and operability. Now you're saying Apple hasn't done much anymore to innovate the iPhone. Well, does Apple have to do it first all the time? Why can't one of the competing companies make a major jump in the smartphone business like the first iPhone and then Apple could follow suit?

It's not Apple's job to move the industry, each competing company needs to make a major hurdle to move innovation and they just aren't doing it. Most of them are the taking the iPhone design and adding a few niceties to their product and putting out on the market. Then people like you come along and say iOS is stale.
HenryDJP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:38 AM   #63
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

How the mighty have fallen! This is do or die time for Blackberry. For their sake, as well as the sake of competition, let's hope they got this 'right', otherwise I'm afraid this is 'curtains' for them.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:39 AM   #64
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorskiegangsta View Post
Who knows, maybe they can grab the third spot. Windows Phone (ugh) isn't taking the world by storm, so RIM (er, BlackBerry) may actually have a chance here. Thorsten Heinz seems smart enough to have realistic goals, and said that they are shooting for third.
Can't see them getting third spot, but gl them. Why not forget the premium market and go for the budget smartphone market. Samsung and Apple still haven't tapped it yet (though likely will in the next few years) and now's a good time for a company to go in and bring great tech to the underprivileged, cementing their spot and massing capital for R&D.

There's been no real innovation in the smartphone market from any player for years, the tech isn't there yet. RIM can't come in now and wow anyone.
niuniu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:40 AM   #65
samcraig
macrumors G5

I love the comments like "too little too late" or "late to the game"

Companies can turn on a dime. The right product at the right time can make all the difference. Do I think Blackberry has it this time - maybe not. But to "condemn" them for changing gears and bringing some new products to the market is ridiculous.

You know - people said Apple was too late in the game to enter the cell phone market.
samcraig is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:40 AM   #66
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Too little too late RIM
you mean BlackBerry.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:40 AM   #67
Basatne
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyAko View Post
That "double persona" feature is a nice one. I was imagining that on an iPhone for years now.

Overall, it will be us the consumer will benefit on this! Awesome!
You're right, if the creators of the product don't have any competition nor are they worried about their consumers buying elsewhere, there is absolutely no reason for them to put a lot of effort into improving the product.

On the other hand, keeping up with the status quo is risky too because it leaves little room for innovation. RIM aka BlackBerry took a big risk in waiting so long without putting out anything new, but you can tell that a lot of the features are things that an average consumer said 'hey, I wish my phone did that'.

Now it's time to anxiously wait and see what Apple responds with
Basatne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:40 AM   #68
thalazy
macrumors newbie

Too late.

I think it might be too late for Dingleberry. Most users have moved on to ios or Android and for them to come back to them it would have to be something special and doesn't look like any of those phones are it. Can they survive long enough to make a successor that can deliver? I don't think so.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:40 AM   #69
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Unless BB10 is a complete rewrite it'll still continue to be a failure. Blackberry OS feels archaic compared to iOS and Android.
It is a complete re-write based on QNX.
Moonjumper is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:41 AM   #70
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

Native dropbox and file manager? When are we going to get those features? My iPad is useless without dropbox.

Honestly I hope that Blackberry stays afloat. Looks a nice v1.0 try.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:42 AM   #71
AppleInTheMud
macrumors regular

Looks boring and the OS also :-/
AppleInTheMud is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:43 AM   #72
definitive
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Awesome. Glad they are making a comeback. The more competition, the BETTER our iOS devices.
except that ios has hardly changed since its first release, and android already holds a bigger share of the smartphone market.
definitive is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:44 AM   #73
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502

As long as they introduce ideas that push things forward, we win.

Can't see any of this as a bad thing. I'm still not interested in one, but good for them. I wish them success.

love the screen-sharing stuff and the SD card, mini-HDMI out.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:45 AM   #74
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I love the comments like "too little too late" or "late to the game"

Companies can turn on a dime. The right product at the right time can make all the difference. Do I think Blackberry has it this time - maybe not. But to "condemn" them for changing gears and bringing some new products to the market is ridiculous.

You know - people said Apple was too late in the game to enter the cell phone market.
You're right for the most part, but when Apple decided to enter the cell phone market they saw what wasn't being done or done well and they brought in a whole new design of a product to the industry. The BB10 doesn't address what's not right in the cell phone industry, they are just adding to the clutter. If they had something amazing (not really even a cell phone per say) they could be a game changer and people would open doors for them.
HenryDJP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:48 AM   #75
ant the ninja
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Well I think the new BB's are "nice" but nothing terribly special. Here's where you're thinking is unfair. Apple's first iPhone has caused the rest of the industry to really do the same thing. If there was no iPhone from jump street today's smartphones wouldn't look like they do. We would still be with the old Palm Treo design. The first iPhone was a major jump in UI design and operability. Now you're saying Apple hasn't done much anymore to innovate the iPhone. Well, does Apple have to do it first all the time? Why can't one of the competing companies make a major jump in the smartphone business like the first iPhone and then Apple could follow suit?

It's not Apple's job to move the industry, each competing company needs to make a major hurdle to move innovation and they just aren't doing it. Most of them are the taking the iPhone design and adding a few niceties to their product and putting out on the market. Then people like you come along and say iOS is stale.
I never said iOS was stale, you clearly misread my post. I was talking from a design standpoint only. I get it, they they did something that changed all smartphones after it...but that was years back...

All I am saying is that if you look at the iPhone from day 1 to present you will realize that from a design strandpoint that really...its exactly the same. Now take blackberry from day 1 to present and voila, an entirely new design and new os, for blackberry itself. I am by NO means bashing apple at all, I like the company and their products, I'm simply defending Blackberry.

Im sure there will be a day when Blackberry people and Apple people get along....but not Android people...no one likes them.
ant the ninja is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion