Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:48 PM   #76
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburn View Post
Native dropbox and file manager? When are we going to get those features? My iPad is useless without dropbox.

Honestly I hope that Blackberry stays afloat. Looks a nice v1.0 try.
its against apples "philosophy" tho. they want to get away from a user accessible "filesystem". everything is supposed to "just work". like music should open within a program, no need to look through multiple folders on the harddrive, same with documents and pictures
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:48 PM   #77
Dilbert
macrumors newbie

White version is F-Ugly ... if they are going to offer a white phone you would this they would do it properly by making the screen surround white too.
Dilbert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:51 PM   #78
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
White version is F-Ugly ... if they are going to offer a white phone you would this they would do it properly by making the screen surround white too.
Its just about doing it right. The HTC One X doesn't look ugly with its white back and black front.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:51 PM   #79
D-a-a-n
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Unless BB10 is a complete rewrite it'll still continue to be a failure. Blackberry OS feels archaic compared to iOS and Android.
The ceo clearly stated that everything is written from scratch.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:52 PM   #80
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

Not sure why everyone is jumping on the hate bandwagon. In my opinion It looks pretty impressive, It's bringing a completely new type of experience to phones.

To me multi-tasking is an important factor, so far no mobile platform offers a truly good and intuitive multi-tasking experience. Double clicking buttons to switch to apps is annoying..

As much as I love iOS, Apple has not really brought anything new to iOS for quite a while in my opinion. I would love If Apple also heads to the direction to provide an intuitive multi-tasking experience on their phones..
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:53 PM   #81
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a

Looks pretty good to me, I feel like theverge review is a bit biased and loves pointing out a few negative things here and there that they ignored on lets say the iPhone 5 review and Also the Nexus 4 , Battery , Multitasking, Camera?

be fair
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:56 PM   #82
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

"and LTE support, though Mossberg got extremely poor data speeds on AT&T and RIM couldn't explain why."

lolling.
jamesryanbell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:56 PM   #83
TallManNY
macrumors 68020

Lack of Apps isn't as big an issue as people are making it out to be. Blackberry users aren't App users right now and they haven't been tempted by them yet. There is enough functionality it seems without the Apps. Also, internet access makes many Apps not that valuable. It is nice to have a Yelp App, but a bookmark to Yelp would get me half of the way there.

Battery use also not that big a deal. My office dwelling co-workers plug their phones in as soon as they get to the office. They sit there charging all day and are fully charged when they leave. I suspect Blackberry is counting on that and on the fact that their users are going to be low consumers of high power usage stuff like video.

I bet this takes a bite out of Android sales and stops the bleeding for Blackberry. I bought some stock this afternoon so I put my money where my mouth is on this one. Checking the price, I seem to have nailed the interday dip and I'm up 1 or 2% already. (That's just a coincidence of course, I'm not a day trader and this is a buy and hold until Blackberry recovers or it goes bankrupt.)
TallManNY is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:01 PM   #84
JarScott
macrumors 65816

It doesn't look very impressive but probably a good move for BlackBerry. Away from their clunky old devices. But, that pixel density, does that make the screen on these things better than Retina? Or it resolution that counts?
JarScott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:02 PM   #85
Morshu9001
Banned

Looks like an extremely crappy knockoff of the iPhone 5. Sorry BlackBerry, but if I were to not buy iOS, I'd get Android.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
What exactly goes "f-ugly" mean? ********** ugly?
Morshu9001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:04 PM   #86
notabadname
macrumors 65816

It's like showing up for the World Series after the stadium lights are turned off and the crowds have left. But I guess time will tell all.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:05 PM   #87
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

Can you say, "Droid X"?
nStyle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:06 PM   #88
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

great hardware paired with decent software. watched all the demos and i'm impressed by this release. it's not half assed at all.

dare i say i prefer this over android and wp8?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:07 PM   #89
Krauser
macrumors regular

Looks like my old Droid X and if it's built anything like it, it'll be nice. More competition is better for everyone.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:08 PM   #90
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502

edit
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:08 PM   #91
stukick
macrumors regular

This phone can't be any worse than any other Blackberry that came before it.

I have a BB Bold from my job. Biggest piece of s&#t ever.
stukick is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:09 PM   #92
HenryDJP
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
I never said iOS was stale, you clearly misread my post. I was talking from a design standpoint only. I get it, they they did something that changed all smartphones after it...but that was years back...

All I am saying is that if you look at the iPhone from day 1 to present you will realize that from a design strandpoint that really...its exactly the same. Now take blackberry from day 1 to present and voila, an entirely new design and new os, for blackberry itself. I am by NO means bashing apple at all, I like the company and their products, I'm simply defending Blackberry.

Im sure there will be a day when Blackberry people and Apple people get along....but not Android people...no one likes them.
Sorry, I used the term stale (right, you didn't say that) because you said there's been no innovations from Apple since the first iPhone. Yeah, sure the new BB is not like the old BB but where did they innovate? They took a design concept that is already flooding the market and created the BB10. Yes, they have their own OS but it doesn't look much different than iOS, Android or Windows Phone. That's my point. The fact that RIMM has been in the cell phone business for years before Apple they should have something amazingly groundbreaking to shake up the industry and these new phones from BB don't do it at all.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:10 PM   #93
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Support for pushed email, contacts, and calendar on only Microsoft Exchange. No Gmail, Yahoo, etc. I thought BlackBerry was supposed to be synonymous with push email?
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:12 PM   #94
bernuli
macrumors regular

Z = end of the line

Good choice on the name for new product.

I used to love the Blackberry for it's email client/system and excellent battery run time.

Each new RIM product gets worse at both. Each new product tries to be more like the iPhone but fails at doing so.

My Bold 9900 has the worst battery run time, but will only charge with BB specific chargers. Ironically, if I try to purchase such accessories from RIM, I get "ShopBlackBerry.com is temporarily unavailable". Been that way for over a month. http://us.blackberry.com/where-to-bu...lackberry.html

So long my friend, you will be missed.

B
bernuli is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:13 PM   #95
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Everyone needs competition, I hope it goes well and lights a fire under Apple and Android.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:14 PM   #96
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
its against apples "philosophy" tho. they want to get away from a user accessible "filesystem". everything is supposed to "just work". like music should open within a program, no need to look through multiple folders on the harddrive, same with documents and pictures
That philosophy works for properly tagged music providing that you like to use apps like iTunes (I do). Pictures is so-so. Documents is really a personal thing so the only thing Apple wins in hiding the file system it the nickname iToy manufacturer.

Nothing personal I do love my iPad. But somethings could be a little easier.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:17 PM   #97
JGIGS
macrumors 6502

Keyboard

I still mostly use my smart phone for typing so to me the number one feature is always the keyboard.

I have to say seeing the demo the new virtual keyboard on BB10 looks impressive.

Screen dimensions at 4.2 inches and 3:2 ratio seem perfect to me as well.

I think I'd still want to wait for the 2nd gen though for BB polish it up.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:17 PM   #98
ysr
macrumors newbie

Dont give up!!

I kinda feel bad for RIM....oops sorry Blackberry.
ysr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:17 PM   #99
cloudness
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Not sure why everyone is jumping on the hate bandwagon. In my opinion It looks pretty impressive, It's bringing a completely new type of experience to phones.

To me multi-tasking is an important factor, so far no mobile platform offers a truly good and intuitive multi-tasking experience. Double clicking buttons to switch to apps is annoying..

As much as I love iOS, Apple has not really brought anything new to iOS for quite a while in my opinion. I would love If Apple also heads to the direction to provide an intuitive multi-tasking experience on their phones..
Even as a loyal Mac and iOS user I have to agree. While I perceive the whole Android plateform as a very cheap knockoff from the iOS system, this Blackberry 10 seems to pursue quite a different approach to mobile computing.

The "Remember" system marks a first step back to the file and folder system, back from the app system. Whether it is a good move or not, we'll see in the next months. I know for sure that I have a whole lots of files on my Mac that are impossible to parse through on my iPhone, and I do like it that way.

The "Flow" system is a first step back to multitasking. Is it normal evolution? Singletasking vs multitasking was an old debate back in the System 7 days, and we all know how it ended. As energy consumption (slowly) become more efficient, isn't it a normal step?

This won't be a dealbreaker for me as I am hooked to the iOS ecosystem. I have money invested in app and media content. I am a long term user of iLife. My family and friends are all hooked up (by themselves or through me) to iOS, and iMessage is a nice plus. But I do hope all this innovation will contribute to enhance my iOS experience though competition.
cloudness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:17 PM   #100
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Looks like BB is playing lots of catch up, but nothing sets them apart from the rest. Plus the $199 price of the touch screen model is ridiculous because iPhone is same price.

They don't stand out without an eco system. Plus the next Gen Android phones are around the corner and will leap frog RIM once again with 1080p, quad core, etc
AutoUnion39 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion